Sponsored by:

Serpentine Belt Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 AM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkw911
It's really a simple job. Just remove the air box and it will take no more than 30 minutes.
X2 I changed the belt on my 997.1 when I changed the air filter and it was really simple, actually one of the easier belts I've ever changed to get at.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:36 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
Apologies for bumping on an old thread, but something appears to have happened with my belt. I was pulling into my office garage, and it felt like the power steering went out. I was already pulling into the garage, so it was just another minute or so until I pulled into a parking spot.

I assumed it was the power steering pump, so I started to do a little research on here. When I went to check the PS Fluid, I noticed an open pulley, so I looked around a bit more and I can see my serpentine belt. I haven't pulled on it to see if it totally failed or just slipped off.

I see Edgy's instructions, and I know he says it can be done on the roadside, but looking at the engine compartment, I struggle to see how I can make it work. I change my own oil and my own brakes, so I'm not completely incompetent mechanically (just largely). Should I try to put it on myself or should I just have it towed to the shop?

I can leave here until this weekend and get the right tools from home and try it over the weekend. Any Chicago guys with the requisite experience, there's dinner/beer in it for you if you can help me out.
Haven't done it yet. Otherwise I'd take you up on the dinner. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So what is a good replacement schedule for the belt?
4 years?
30k miles?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm having a problem removing this plug (pic below)

Any tips?

Pic shamelessly stolen from this thread
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2013, 03:15 PM
javocat
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a DIY replacement of the serpentine belt one needs, of course, to remove the airbox. Maybe I missed it in this thread, but how exactly is that done on a 997.2, 3.6 liter engine? What I can't figure out is the fastener device holding the airbox to the rear fender sheet metal. It has no hex head or torx fitting, etc. A clue to this clueless person would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
When I went to check the PS Fluid, I noticed an open pulley, so I looked around a bit more and I can see my serpentine belt. I haven't pulled on it to see if it totally failed or just slipped off. .
Hmmm. One of my idling pulleys disintegrated.

Guess I will have to have it flat-bedded to the shop after all.

Can I drive it out of my garage to the street with no belt? Don't think I can get a flat- bed into my parking garage.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:00 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd push it out of the garage if you can Allen. Sorry about that pulley. Not too difficult to replace either: 997 Engine Pulley Replacement
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Failure