Sponsored by:

Trading in my 997s for a Nissan GTR.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I think it's a neat looking SOW...........
Fixed it for ya.

Now matter how much lipstick you put on it, it's still an ugly looking car at the end of the day.

Nothing flows in the design of the lines. It looks like it was designed by committee.

The front fenders look like they were designed by the Mazda team.

The front end by the Honda team.

The *** end by the Chevy team.

The ugly creases by the Cadillac team.

And final assembly by Nissan.

GTR - Gonna Tank Royally
Old 09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck with it. Definitely interested in your track experience. I am not a big fan of lots of electronics or four wheel drive. Will be interested in hearing what you think.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think the fact that it's so polarizing will give it legs. It'll still depreciate, but then so do 911s.

I'd love to have a GT-R as a second car to either my Cayman or Audi (or both if I had the $$). It's an amazing performer, appears to respond well to mods, and (when the markups die) is priced well. It'll be on my radar for a few years to come...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see 2 aspects to owning a fine car, and at $100K, there are many available

1 is performance, the enjoyment of power on accelerating, holding the road on turns, etc, here the GTR works

the other aspect is the pride in owning a beautiful object, whether it is a picture, sculpture, watch or car. Here the GTR fails for me. After owning 911's for over a decade, I still take one last look in the garage before I go to sleep.still enjoy waxing the car, still enjoy the beauty of the lines. I do not feel this with the GTR
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mal28
I see 2 aspects to owning a fine car, and at $100K, there are many available

1 is performance, the enjoyment of power on accelerating, holding the road on turns, etc, here the GTR works

the other aspect is the pride in owning a beautiful object, whether it is a picture, sculpture, watch or car. Here the GTR fails for me. After owning 911's for over a decade, I still take one last look in the garage before I go to sleep.still enjoy waxing the car, still enjoy the beauty of the lines. I do not feel this with the GTR
Nicely said!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GTR is an incredible machine no doubt. Although I dislike how it almost drives itself with all the assists and as far as I know you can't get a 6 speed? I wish car manufacturers who offer such an electronic car would offer it in a less electronic, cheaper form.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM
lgascoig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with your GTR! I wish my upcoming 2009 911S had the performance, however the performance difference for me wasn't a big enough deal to choose it over the 911.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

To the O.P. - Enjoy your new ride....it will be an animal on the track. I saw one at Sebring last month absolutely smoke a 996 Turbo on the back straght.

On a side note, my father-in-law has owned many franchise dealerships over the past 30 years. A phrase I've heard him use many times when discussing car appeal was: "There is an *** for every seat". A simple piece of wisdom that can be applied to almost anything.

Regarding the other nonsense going on in this thread..... I don't think Cole deserved Akim's pathetic, childish response......he was completely out of line and clearly overreacted. I would suggest anger management therapy for internet tough guys.....
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 PM
akim47
Racer

sorry to go OT, but i originally read this post because of so many comparisons regarding the gt-r to the porsche. why? because nissan used porsche as a benchmark. personally i dont like the looks of the new GT-R. and everyone has their own opinion, fine. but i think its pretty stupid when people go to the ethnically biased remarks regarding the car. i think it annoys me the most because of the sheer stupidity. ahh.. go back to your rice rocket blah blah blah, porsche is the only car out there... personally, ive never been a fan of the fast n furious type cars. i do like racing, and i do love the sport of driving. so what? why else would i be on a porsche board? its just stupid that SOME people are so narrow minded. Tyler McQuarrie can race in the hankook/JIC 911 while at the same time racing in the Cwest/ BC S2000. Does it matter that one car is a porsche and one car is a japmobile? Why was it sooo horrible when Cosworth based in GB, with a history in F1 chose to supply performance product to the Suburu EJ25 and Nissan VQ35 motors? why does it become racial and ethnical? i didnt start this, i just cant stand to see this bs. i would have never joined this board if i knew it was a socially segregated forum vs. automotive forum... it's people like YOU that asked me when I was out playing TPC Sawgrass last year if I had ninja stars and nunchucks in my bag. and dont worry about me living over there, I happen to like SoCal. As far as anywhere that I've traveled, I've never experienced such racial diversity and acceptance as I have here. Perhaps that's why some saw fit to move elsewhere who knows. back to an old threads, i think it's been asked "why are porsche owners targeted?" well, i think you guys just answered the question... a few spoiled apples......
Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Enjoy the GTR and it's great you're going after what you want.

Regarding the other posters who made comments such as this:

Originally Posted by adfsouth
..I don't think Cole deserved Akim's pathetic, childish response......he was completely out of line and clearly overreacted.
why didn't you speak out against Cole's ignorant comments? Does silence imply consent? It better not.

Originally Posted by cole328
ahhhh...the japanese are "bery bery bery smaht"...
Originally Posted by cole328
Double sayonara, and a side of wasabe.....c ya
Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Dude, can we just lay down the 'race' card? Can we? Was it a non-pc comment? Sure. Can we all grow up and be adults and realize that 'words' cannot hurt us?

That would be swell. Seriously, if I had a ten dollar bill every time I heard the word "Whitey"; I'd have brand new Duc 1098S in my garage- paid in full.

And stop generalizing, would ya, for pete's sakes? lol
Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Moderato
Racer

The GTR has no clutch pedal option and IMO it's way too angular. Those two things keep me from being interested, despite it's amazing performance. Hard to believe the GTR can hang with a 997 GT2 though.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 AM
prsdoc
Rennlist Member

Dude, can we just lay down the 'race' card? Can we? Was it a non-pc comment? Sure. Can we all grow up and be adults and realize that 'words' cannot hurt us?
I respectfully disagree, likemystoppie. Words, although perhaps not intended as such, can be abusive and hurtful. Would it be great to just look beyond it, or perhaps not even see it in the first place? Of course. I don't post often, but I felt some of the comments on this thread warranted an appropriate reply. If, for example, a member posted on this board n-this or n-that, I don't think there would be much tolerance for it. So by that same logic, it shouldn't be ok to diss on asians or any other ethnic group. Just because we're all adults and grown up, doesn't mean we get a pass to behave poorly in society. In addition, no one is claiming victimization, so there is no 'race' card. Just a simple point of life - try not to be or act like a douchebag.

And btw, I do like your stoppie! nice!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:46 AM
eric997s
AutoX

Originally Posted by Malakas
Thats funny.

OP: love to see some pics and hear your impression of the car. I saw my first one (in person) last weekend. It was a little larger than I expected, but the fit and finished appeared to be very top notch.

Have fun with it!

Thanks! First off I will refrain from responding to several on here who unfortunately give Porsche owners a very bad name. Truly pathetic.

To the others, well I have had the car for 24 hours give or take and about 100 miles. First impressions?

1. My wife said it perfectly tonight, "This thing is a beast." It definitely is. It is a very visceral ride, much like the Porsche. Extremely mechanical, very focused. The car just wants to go! I have only taken it to 3500-4000rpm with very little boost at all. The engine seems to be very flexible and willing to cruise at 1100 rpm in 6th gear. In automatic mode the car is in 6th gear by 35mph! Very weird!

2. It is big! The Porsche was extremely intimate. I loved that. The Nissan, although very cozy on the inside, is certainly bigger on the outside. I will definitely have to get used to that.

3. The seats are very good, however, I still give the nod to the Porsche in this department. I had the adaptive sport seats in the 911. I haven't found the perfect seating position yet. I do like the suede inserts in the GT-R. Both cars have great dashboards with large center mounted tachs which I love.

4. The transmission is a lot of fun. I thought I would really miss a clutch pedal. I do, yes, but this transmission is awesome! Make no mistake, it is definitely deliberate! And noisy! But kind of cool in a mechanical way. Fortunately, I still have my 6spd 335i for my manual cravings.

5. The build quality seems to be awesome so far! Panel fit is great! Paint seems to be high quality, although it pales in comparison to the GT Silver on the 911. I guess that isn't totally a fair comparison. Interior quality is spectacular. It is very businesslike. It will be interesting to see how the new 911 infotainment stacks up to the Nissan, because it better be good. The nav, bluetooth, xm, full ipod integration is awesome in the GT-R. The porsche was so far behind in this category.

6. The ride is stiff, even in comfort mode. But not oppressive. It feels very good on the highway. The long wheelbase seems to help some in the ride department.

7. How does it sound? Well I was little worried that it would sound like a Pathfinder, or an Altima, or a Frontier, or well, any other Nissan with a V6. A little truck like I guess. Fortunately, the GT-R seems to sound a little better. I of course, haven't wrung it out yet. So I will withhold judgement. I hold a very large place in my heart for the sound of the 911 from 5000-7200rpm. I don't think anything will top that.

8. I think in the first 24 hours, I have had more interest in this car from bystanders, people in other cars, animals, etc. than the three years of ownership in the Porsche. You can't hide in this car. It is so funny seeing people go out of their way to follow you in this car.

Well that's all I can ramble about right now. I miss the Porsche greatly. I know I will own another someday. But for me, it was a somewhat rare opportunity to own a pretty cool car. After the first day, I am pretty pleased. I absolutely can't wait to take it to VIR! This thing will see plenty of track time!

Take care. Pictures to come shortly.

Eric
'09 GT-R
'07 335i
Old 09-11-2008, 01:54 AM
prsdoc
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting your first impressions.

Richmond used to be my old stomping grounds... September should be a nice time of year for some Fall driving out there. I do miss the Fan and Monument Ave.

Again, enjoy in good health!

Quick Reply: Trading in my 997s for a Nissan GTR.