Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of rear shot of 997 and 997 wide-body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lack of confidence

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Yea,--personally, I don't get it in SoCal. I think it's either "get the most expensive" or "I need the training wheels because the 911 has a reputation of being squirrly."
It's a lack of confidence either way you look at it.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Do all C2 911 owners look down their noses at the C4 guys?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Vegas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a good enough driver to drive a C2 . In my C4 I just mash the pedal and hang on. It's incredible.

Anyone that knows about design would laugh at the fact that you guys are minimizing almost 1.75" of rear width. You can see a huge difference when you stand behind an actual car. I've always loved the widebody look and the 997 takes it back to the days of the 993. The 996 4 models never looked that wide to me??
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Yea,--personally, I don't get it in SoCal. I think it's either "get the most expensive" or "I need the training wheels because the 911 has a reputation of being squirrly."

No smiling face or anything but you are joking....right?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 AM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
but to choose a 4S purely for aesthetic reasons, imho, is poseur-ish.
I think most of P car owners love the aesthetic design of the car just as much as the technology and heritage. There is nothing poserly about favoring one aspect of the car over the other.

Think of it this way. If a guy is into girls with big butts, can anyone convince him that smaller butts are sexier?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7Dj...eature=related
Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas
Anyone that knows about design would laugh at the fact that you guys are minimizing almost 1.75" of rear width. You can see a huge difference when you stand behind an actual car.
At most angles I can't tell the difference, especially if the car is not right next to other 911s. It's a bit easier when I'm looking at a long row of cars at the dealership, but just sitting behind one at a traffic light I can't really tell the difference.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 158 Posts

agree with edgy01. to get a 4 purely for looks (hardly noticeable at that) and then to forgo classic p-rwd engineering is beyond me. why porsche at all? why not just a 4-matic mb? or how 'bout a range? or better yet, buy an S and put a 4S badge on the back-- that should give the virtual width of at least 1/2".
I don't agree:
Being the owner of a 2007 911 Targa 4, a supposedly POSER Porsche.
I came from a 505hp/3050lb Z06, a car that broke them loose at 90mph, I considered all Porsche guys POSERS.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I was in the market for a Base Carrera 2m they were going for $75K, I ended up buying my NEW Targa (MSRP $93K) for $78K, it was a no-brainer to get the training wheels considering the roof, Turbo wheels, and other options it came with.

I had plenty of confidence yesterday in my AWD while hustling down the twisties at 75-80mph, without AWD I probably would have went off-roading.
I've already had RWD cars that would make any Porsche owner sqeamish to drive.
As for lack of confidence, I piloted my Stock 2001 Viper GTS to a 11.67@120.56, it still made me uneasy around twisties, no shame in that.

Originally Posted by Moderato
Do all C2 911 owners look down their noses at the C4 guys?
Apparently they have P-nis Envy because we have almost 2 extra inches.

Originally Posted by Vegas
I'm not a good enough driver to drive a C2 . In my C4 I just mash the pedal and hang on. It's incredible.

Anyone that knows about design would laugh at the fact that you guys are minimizing almost 1.75" of rear width. You can see a huge difference when you stand behind an actual car. I've always loved the widebody look and the 997 takes it back to the days of the 993. The 996 4 models never looked that wide to me??
I would have been happy with a C2, but due to the incredible deal I got on my Targa I went with the wider body.
Does it look better, yes, I think the C4 hips are sexier, but nothing the average person out there would notice if they were not side by side.
However, I think the average person would be blown away a little more by the C4, but not know why it looks better than usual.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
No smiling face or anything but you are joking....right?
Definitely seems to be joking.

Originally Posted by JJB236
I think most of P car owners love the aesthetic design of the car just as much as the technology and heritage. There is nothing poserly about favoring one aspect of the car over the other.

Think of it this way. If a guy is into girls with big butts, can anyone convince him that smaller butts are sexier?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7Dj...eature=related
I like my girls with smaller butts, but I prefer wider hips in my cars.

My Z06 was much wider than my Corvette C6 Vert in the back also, both were great looking, but the wider hips and rear really looked good on the Vette also.

IN SUMMARY -

Now that I have AWD I am happy I got the car with AWD.
I do like the security while hustling around the twisties and the Superior grip while taking off from a light.

I also like the looks of the widebody better, but at first I did not notice there was a difference, it is subtle.

Can't we all get along or do I have to buy another one of these?

Name:  z06two013.jpg
Views: 3355
Size:  101.1 KB

Compared to:

Howard
Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

oh oh. perhaps i should've chosen my words a bit more carefully.

First, I myself prefer smaller butts. no sir mix-alot for me. but i respect those who go for j-lo. i just don't get it personally.

Second, i have nothing against awd. absolutely nothing-- unless you live in CA, AZ, FL or somewhere else where it never snows and where one never needs it. the weight penalty (120lbs) and increased understeer, IMHO, is contrary to the essence of what the 911experience is supposed to be. again, just like some prefer big butts, this is simply my opinion. admittedly, echoing edgy01's further comment, i was shopping exclusively for a 4 for my first 911 because i was a bit intimated by the its reputation for a squirrely rear end-- until i drove the rwd. To summarize, again, to trade increased weight/added oversteer for purely aesthetic reasons, imho, is very unporschelike.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM
AndreCT
Racer

for a side by side view .. check out the pic in my thread titled X51 versus Farnbacher Loles.

The C4 is a beauty.. no doubt..
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by AndreCT
for a side by side view .. check out the pic in my thread titled X51 versus Farnbacher Loles.

The C4 is a beauty.. no doubt..
That's a perfect example of the difference, you can clearly see the extra width on the C4S and it does look great. However the C2S looks great as well. I really don't see how you could go wrong with either of these cars.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Moderato
Racer

Second, i have nothing against awd. absolutely nothing-- unless you live in CA, AZ, FL or somewhere else where it never snows and where one never needs it. the weight penalty (120lbs) and increased understeer, IMHO, is contrary to the essence of what the 911experience is supposed to be. again, just like some prefer big butts, this is simply my opinion. admittedly, echoing edgy01's further comment, i was shopping exclusively for a 4 for my first 911 because i was a bit intimated by the its reputation for a squirrely rear end-- until i drove the rwd. To summarize, again, to trade increased weight/added oversteer for purely aesthetic reasons, imho, is very unporschelike.
Isn't the 120lbs. all over the front axle though? I don't think that could hurt? Plus the Porsche AWD system is designed not to contribute to extra understeer. Doesn't it only send 5% of the power to the front under normal conditions and only up to 40% when the rear loses traction? Sure you have less oversteer then a C2 when the car breaks traction but my understanding is that's the point of the C4. The 959 had AWD, I'm not yet convinced that the C2 is superior to the C4.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:58 PM
hidalgo
Advanced

I purchased my 2006 C4S used when I really didn't know that much about Porsches ( I really liked the color). I certainly did not need the AWD in South Texas! I have had a chance now to drive a C2S and I have to say I prefer it but I still love the way the C4s looks!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
nicu
Racer

here's wide and wider still...
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The best way to do these side-by-side comparo shots is to not have the cars parallel to each other as shown above.

It'll take some effort, but the way to do it for a good comparison is to take the camera's optical perspective into account.

From the camera's point of view, the car on the left should be aligned with an optical ray that emanates from the lens to the horizon. And the car on the right likewise aligned. They will thus be at an angle with respect to each other, and an overhead shot will show that they are aligned on radial lines emanating from the point of view of the camera, depending of course on the type of lens being used. With an SLR camera it's easy to do, as it is WYSIWYG. Actually it might be better to do with a telephoto lens, as this will take out some of the distortion that a wide angle lens introduces.

A shot like that will give the best comparison of widths, if one wants to go through the trouble of setting it up.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:09 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Man..those Z06 vette's are butt ugly, and should be reserved only for old men with gold chains and shirt busting chest hair...Very happy that you sold it and came over to the p-car darkside

Quick Reply: Pictures of rear shot of 997 and 997 wide-body?