Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of rear shot of 997 and 997 wide-body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Man..those Z06 vette's are butt ugly, and should be reserved only for old men with gold chains and shirt busting chest hair...Very happy that you sold it and came over to the p-car darkside
No gold chains, no watches, but some chest hair.

Seriously, the Z06 is a very hardcore car, much more car than I need, but now I have a POSER Porsche according to some, only 325hp, AWD, and a Targa.

At least it is a manual tranny.

Howard
Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ha welcome bro.,,same here, as I am an Italian (and I did sport a nice gold "horn" in my high school days...how embarrassing!). As I have said before, I cannot knock the hardcore performance stats of the vette, but at the end of the day, sadly, american quality just is not there. Someone had a funny, funny post the other day re: the push button that fell right through the floorboard..I laughed out loud at that. P-cars, poser or not, are true sports cars in every sense of the word. Enjoy it
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by JJB236
I have been searching for pictures of rear shots of a standard 997 and a wide-body 997 such as C4S or targa 4 so that I can see the visual difference. Porsche websites didn't have good pictures. I did go to a dealer and saw them in person but I wanted to see the side-by-side shots before pulling the gun on the wide-body 997. Just like someone mentioned in earlier post, the rear-angle alone on wide-body 997 is worth the price. I don't track my cars but fatter ties, more aggressive stance, and sexier curves are what I want, not so much the AWD. But on the other hand, I could save about $8k w a narrow-body 997 since 997 body is already wider than that of 996. Cheers.
If that don't answer your question....
Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hope this helps

how can it not?
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ That picture's good but it's taken slightly from the left so it accentuates the C4S. Either way though, it does clearly show the different look of the C4.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Yes it does show that the c4s has a slightly wider rear end. Which we all know anyway. Not sure what is the point. Slightly larger is just that...slighltly larger. I may be worth it/noticable/important to some but not others. Just go look at it in person; pics will be hard to replicate the difference.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreCT
hope this helps
Originally Posted by Moderato
^^ That picture's good but it's taken slightly from the left so it accentuates the C4S. Either way though, it does clearly show the different look of the C4.
Now if only someone can take up my suggestion in Post #59...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Now if only someone can take up my suggestion in Post #59...
The best way to do these side-by-side comparo shots is to not have the cars parallel to each other as shown above.

It'll take some effort, but the way to do it for a good comparison is to take the camera's optical perspective into account.

From the camera's point of view, the car on the left should be aligned with an optical ray that emanates from the lens to the horizon. And the car on the right likewise aligned. They will thus be at an angle with respect to each other, and an overhead shot will show that they are aligned on radial lines emanating from the point of view of the camera, depending of course on the type of lens being used. With an SLR camera it's easy to do, as it is WYSIWYG. Actually it might be better to do with a telephoto lens, as this will take out some of the distortion that a wide angle lens introduces.

A shot like that will give the best comparison of widths, if one wants to go through the trouble of setting it up.

If one wants to go through such troubles, wouldn't it be even more accurate to simply place a camera on a tripod, park each car in identical spots right in front of the camera - thus completely eliminating any angular distortions - and then compare the pictures side by side?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
ha welcome bro.,,same here, as I am an Italian (and I did sport a nice gold "horn" in my high school days...how embarrassing!). As I have said before, I cannot knock the hardcore performance stats of the vette, but at the end of the day, sadly, american quality just is not there. Someone had a funny, funny post the other day re: the push button that fell right through the floorboard..I laughed out loud at that. P-cars, poser or not, are true sports cars in every sense of the word. Enjoy it
I don't really think of my car or any other Porsche as a Poser Porsche.

In fact, put a lesser driver in a RWD Carrera or Carrera S and I still think I could beat it or at least keep it close. Figure the Carrera only has a 230lb advantage (the equivalent of 23hp) and the S with 30 extra horses has the equivalent of 53 extra horses as it weighs a little more.
The AWD will help me make some of that back in traction and 23 horses for sure is not much of a difference to make up, 53 gets a little harder, but it can be done.

Now go wear that "horn" with pride.

Howard
Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
If one wants to go through such troubles, wouldn't it be even more accurate to simply place a camera on a tripod, park each car in identical spots right in front of the camera - thus completely eliminating any angular distortions - and then compare the pictures side by side?
That's even more work and trouble what you're suggesting. And it leaves you with two detached photos. The idea is to get both cars in the same shot.

But assuming someone had nothing better to do, they can use your idea and, with a little photoshop skill, superimpose the images one directly over the other with transparency effects on the top image, assuming the two photos were precisely set up and shot identically. That would be the best comparison. But, you know, I think I've seen that image already in one of the official Porsche brochures illustrating the wider width.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe an overhead shot of both cars side by side could accurately show the differece.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:21 PM
dog_tired
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery about a month ago of a C2S cab. I'm in Florida, and ruled out the 4S as we don't really need the the all-wheel drive, and I didn't see the need for the extra car weight.
I'm so in love with the lines of this car, as I have been for 30-some years, that I never really thought about the difference between the rear of the S vs 4S. They're both visual perfection.

And, this may be my first post, or second. I'll get some pics up soon.

Quick Reply: Pictures of rear shot of 997 and 997 wide-body?