Sponsored by:

Post your PIC: "The SNOW is here and I have no FEAR!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I wonder how a regular C2 or C2s would do in that snow?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Good to see some winter action! I would be out there in it too but, alas, we have nothing like that frozen stuff in the area! But when I DID live in snow country my 911 cars were in it! They are built for that stuff!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by edward_generation
It looks like Seal Grey.
Correct, Seal Grey it is!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:59 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got the cover off and got it out of the garage I see.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

As Jack Webb said.

"sun baked people with half baked Ideas"
Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn - wish I took pictures while driving cross country when in Memphis I was being dumped on (buckets) everyone pulled over and I kept going till I saw what looked like a dark funnel - pulled under a overpass and hail the size of golf ***** starting falling - thank GOD for that overpass (by the way - the only one for the next twenty miles).

Not a single hail ball it me but when I pulled out (after twenty minutes) it looked like it snowed...
Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh MAN that looks like fun!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 AM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
Finally got the cover off and got it out of the garage I see.
Now it is your turn to make it happen!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by tkids
Now it is your turn to make it happen!
I'm not in the mood, but remember flaming is a dish well served cold.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:34 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

tkids,

With snow on the way here in the Northeast and a Seal Grey car also, you're pictures have now become computer wallpaper for me so when sitting in my office I can imagine my baby outside in the parking lot!

If you've got high res versions, I'd love to have a copy. Congrats on driving your car out there. I know I paid for the WHOLE Porsche experience, so mine's a daily driver (albeit a meticulously cleaned one) too.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Moderato
Racer

Good post. In situations like this I wonder about the open diffs you have on the front and rear. As we all know open diffs are horrible in low traction situations allowing only the wheel with the least grip to spin endlessly. So companies like Porsche, BMW & Audi individualy use the the brakes to slow the spinning wheel and therefore transfer power to the wheel which hopefully has more traction. Getting both wheels spinning would require either constant braking or very rapid alternation of brakes between both wheels. Typically these systems also reduce power do the engine which is good for regaining traction and control in certain situations but can cripple a car in deep snow, or going up a snow covered hill. So BMW has a DTC mode for the traction control which still gives you the braking on the open diff to transfer traction but doesn't cut power to the engine. Does the 997 offer something similar? If you completely disable PSM are you just on your own with 2 open diffs and 1 center viscous LSD?

I currently own an 06 STI and an 06 M3. (I frequent these boards because back in 06 I was considering a 997 but for the same amount of $$$$ I decided to get the STI & M3 instead. I'm still interested in getting a P-car at some point though either a Cayman or 997 of somekind.) I used to own an 04 330i with an open diff and DSC/DTC. I drove that car in the winter with snow tires but DTC isn't as good as having a real LSD for getting the most traction or just having more fun.

I've done similar experiments with my STI, however it has LSD's front rear and center and you can even adjust the lock % of the center diff manually. So in the snow I can drift the car like crazy with no intervention from the computer, while having complete control because of the LSDs. I was told the AWD system on the 997 is primarily a dry road sport system and while it can aid in the snow it's not really designed for it. I was having a hard time deciding if I wanted a C2S or a C4S, and in addition I could never get over the fact that you can't get either car with an LSD, however in Europe that is an option. I'm not suggesting the STI is better then a C4S, however in snow it would be (and while my M3 is in the garage in bad weather the STI is on the road and being a cheap car it doesn't make me cringe if it gets beat up a little). When I want RWD I have a nice M3 with an LSD, so I feel for the cost of one 997 I can have 2 cars with the best of both worlds. However I still want a P-car at some point, I'm just not sure which. If Porsche brings the LSD option to the USA it would help me to make the plunge. (I don't want a GT3 or Turbo because it would be my only car even in the winter)
Old 12-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Best pics I have seen on this site! Good for you.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:32 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

My C2S sits inside my heated building all winter long. Snow is for my '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 with Hemi. Thats what I bought it for and it goes like stink in the snow. For the larger snow I use my '05 Dodge Ram3500 4X4 with Cummins motor
Old 12-07-2007, 02:04 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As one who is putting the touchs on a C4S order and who is planning on driving it year-round (which I didn't do with my C4 993), I love the pictures. Looks like fun!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Eric_75
Intermediate

tkids, were did you get your bra? is it original Porsche. I just bought one and it does not go over the headlights.

Quick Reply: Post your PIC: "The SNOW is here and I have no FEAR!"