Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

Winter in Chicago
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

are those winter tires or stock? Let me know how they work in the snow.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

They are aftermarket: Victor Turismo 18's with Michelin Alpin tires. I drive my car all winter and this combo has worked pretty well. The issue for me has been more about ground clearance than traction. Chicago alleys (where most city home garages back onto) aren't plowed and driving short distances in the snow/ice ruts can be challenging. Keep in mind that dealerships in Chicago don't carry "stock" Porsche winter tire combos, their packages are aftermarket also. I just internet shopped the tire/wheel combo that they would have sold me at a higher price.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:13 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Gotta disagree with you on this one... I drive 30 miles from Northville, MI to downtown Detroit every day (and back at night), with frequent trips to Ann Arbor, Lansing and the Thumb area. (those of you not from MI will have to look it up). Yeah there are plenty of bad roads and emergent potholes, especially when the freeze-thaw-refreeze cycle starts in spring. But I am able to avoid for the most part - never bent a wheel or got a flat (from that) on any car.

My 997S has 19s with summer tires, and I bought knock-offs from WheelEnhancements in 18inch with winter tires from tirerack. I have zero trouble in the Porsche. The traction control (PSM) and ABS systems work great. My only concern is when the snow gets deep and there are biig ice hunks on the road - they're like boulders. In those conditions I take the X3 (rare) or if go in late so there is time for the plows to get it cleaned up.

I'll post a pic or two of my car tomorrow - still has a fine coating of salt all over it from the mess Thursday, and I haven't had a chance to wash it yet.

p-cardriver
Northville is my hometown. Go Mustangs.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Winter in Chicago
I've been to that very spot many times,....except not in my p-cars: I went to UC for B-school and lived on the South Side.
Nice pic.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
U of C Med School, now living in Lincoln Park. Pic taken at Northerly Island, previously Meigs Field, overlooking Soldier Field.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:02 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coochas
I've been to that very spot many times,....except not in my p-cars: I went to UC for B-school and lived on the South Side.
Nice pic.
Coochas! I named you my favorite poster before I even knew you went to the GSB! I am class of 2003. Go Maroons.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by kennygoodboy
Coochas! I named you my favorite poster before I even knew you went to the GSB! I am class of 2003. Go Maroons.
Yep, I went to the Great Semen Buildup....graduated in 94.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That shot of Chicago has convinced me to bypass that city in Jan-Feb!

Here! Snow in my windscreen (look closely!)
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

More snow!
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default Flashback

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Gotta disagree with you on this one... I drive 30 miles from Northville, MI to downtown Detroit every day (and back at night), with frequent trips to Ann Arbor, Lansing and the Thumb area. (those of you not from MI will have to look it up). Yeah there are plenty of bad roads and emergent potholes, especially when the freeze-thaw-refreeze cycle starts in spring. But I am able to avoid for the most part - never bent a wheel or got a flat (from that) on any car.

My 997S has 19s with summer tires, and I bought knock-offs from WheelEnhancements in 18inch with winter tires from tirerack. I have zero trouble in the Porsche. The traction control (PSM) and ABS systems work great. My only concern is when the snow gets deep and there are biig ice hunks on the road - they're like boulders. In those conditions I take the X3 (rare) or if go in late so there is time for the plows to get it cleaned up.

I'll post a pic or two of my car tomorrow - still has a fine coating of salt all over it from the mess Thursday, and I haven't had a chance to wash it yet.

p-cardriver
I had a flashback to this post last night watching the news when they interviewed the owner of a Goodyear tire store who stated 1/2 of his business last week was tire replacements due to pothole damage. I was reminded of it today while driving down VanDyke where the potholes are so bad that in many of them you could see the wire reinforcement grid put down before the concrete was poured to help stabilize/strengthen theroad.

Glad to report mine is under a nice cover in a heated garage where it will stay-likely until May 1st so the rest of you can roll down the cold patch that will be put down when the weather warms a little.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw that news report too, but honestly I'm looking forward to driving my C4S in the snow.

I used to have the 993 C4 Cab garage queen in my signature, but I've gotten that out of my system. Now I want to drive it.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by InTheAir
I saw that news report too, but honestly I'm looking forward to driving my C4S in the snow.

I used to have the 993 C4 Cab garage queen in my signature, but I've gotten that out of my system. Now I want to drive it.
I can't wait to see your car. That color is absolutely stunning. Did you go with painted or unpainted rockers in the end?

Quick Reply: Post your PIC: "The SNOW is here and I have no FEAR!"