Sponsored by:

Do Porsches create a**h0les?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Tom, you live in the South Bay? I thought you lived in the Bay Area. ****, you're probably about 5 miles from where I am right now at work.
Ben, no we are a good 250miles apart. I am at the South Bay (San Jose/Santa Clara/ Fremont) of the Bay Area.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:13 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding tailgating, you guys aren't in the fast lane holding up traffic are you? I find that staying away from that lane keeps the tailgaters away, that or going 80mph.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I get that unwanted kind of attention all the time. Some are just crazy f*#ks who swerve at you for no apparent reason. Lots of aggressive driving trying to keep up or pass.

Most common is some punk in a clapped out Honda with a go-fast pipe who wants to race. Most of the time, I ignore them.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

My one experience being on the receiving end of an EXTREME road rage performance was while driving my Porsche (the 87).

Who was the a**hole in this instance?

It all began early on a beautiful summer evening, while driving on a twisty, hilly road to my cottage, when out of the blue an old beat up P/U began tailgating inches from my car. He'd repeatedly drop back and charge to the point where all I could see in my rear view mirror was just the center portion of the grill.... all this time I was trapped following behind another car. Because of the road, I couldn't speed up nor could I pass to remove myself from the clown. Finally after several miles of this, at an intersection that merges with a major highway, as the clown was passing me on the right to an on-ramp, at the very same moment as I am "instinctively" flipping him off, I see this shirtless guy half way hanging out the window, his face purple with rage, screaming at me..... Ooops!! Seeing my gesture he swerves and slams on the brakes, immediately 15 yards in front of my car, and opens his door,... so now, here I am fumbling to get my seatbelt off..... thinking if I'm taking a punch from this raving lunatic, it's not going to be sitting strapped into my "top down" cab...... the next instant he slams the door and on go his reverse lights.... with tires smoking this old P/U is now racing backwards towards my car (yes I was only worried about my car....at the time!!)....... In that instant I go from full extrication mode to full reverse mode...... with only one minor problem...I stall my car!!!..... Helpless, I'm sitting there waving frantically...."you win, you win!!" when he slams on the brakes and stops inches from my front bumper, throws it into forward and with tires spinning and dirt flying he bounces over the median charging onto a busy major highway cutting off and almost forcing a car into the ditch in the process..... and is gone..... Meanwhile I'm still sitting there heart pounding, wondering WTF just happened here....

So was it me for flipping off his behavior, or him for the absurdly over the top road rage behavior?

Irregardless, since then, 9 years later, I constantly monitor my driving habits while in my Pcar
Old 03-30-2007, 04:16 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
try driving an Lotus Exige S...i just got this car after 4 porsches,including a white GT3. in 2 days i have had more,honks,waves,pictures taken, women asking for rides, people freaking out, annoying idiots trying to race me or tailigate me on the highway...it is unreal
Ah-ha... so you live in Toronto, not on a horse, scaring the odd woman. Nice car!
Old 03-30-2007, 04:49 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen this behavior often in the C4S. Her big wide *** is apparently too much for approx. 10% of the other drivers around her... and not just ricers ( which are the funniest because they should know that it's just a fine drive, not a race car ) but also pickup truck drivers... and not always young. I had an elderly guy absolutely purposely ease into my lane while he kept eye contact with me in his side view mirror. I misunderstood at first, thinking he simply need into the lane and didn't see me so I politely dropped back to let him in safely. It wasn't until he scowled and said something into the mirror that I realized a polite drop back was not what he wanted me to do... or expected.

It happens often in some variation or the other. But, taken in the knowledge that the BMW M3 before the 911 was TWICE as much an a$$hole magnet, the 911 is a pleasure to drive.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Ah-ha... so you live in Toronto, not on a horse, scaring the odd woman. Nice car!
newmarket,3 horses,lotsa scared broads
Old 03-30-2007, 05:26 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Thats because that car LOOKS "Faster" than it is, in a straight line. We all know its prowess, but it cannot be tapped on a public highway.

To the subject of the thread, this is SoCal. Porsches are like BMWs, MBs, and Lexi. 996s are like Honda Accords here. Plentiful and nothing special.
o to 60 4.1 ,quarter mile in 12...150 MPH...its pretty fast, but looks faster you are right
Old 03-30-2007, 06:26 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gawd.. I thought I lived in the Weeds; Gunner's deal is scary.

The only notable thing is how cool young black kids (10-14) are about it. They're not shy with their approval. Young women have also talked to my wife about it when she was driving it.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:46 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

In South Florida, P-Cars are all over the place, so we blend in (unless you are Flying Finn, whose red 993 CanNot be ignored). Down this way we seem to attract yabos in Mustangs and pickup trucks. They both seem obesessed with "proving " how much more manly and/or fast they are. I let them go on and "win" - there's nothing to be gained by racing these assclowns. I have had pickup trucks purposely pin me into a lane, so that I have to go at their pace. If that make's em happy, fine.

There are some ricers too, but they tend to be going at supersonic speeds all the time, so they blow on by with barely a glance at me. maybe they are trying to catch up to the crotch rockets - the word is that FHP won't even go after those guys anymore - it's too dangrerous to chase them, so they wait until they smash themselves into a bridge overpass - we tend to hope they are all organ donors.

I find that if I do the speed limit it wigs them out.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by carpundit
"speeding, passing, swerving in and out of lanes"

That's likely part of the problem. Speeding and passing is one way to drive, but swerving lane-to-lane is another, entirely more aggressive, way to drive. Combine that with a beautiful 997, and you're not only acting like an a-hole, you're acting like an a-hole magnet.

CP
uh ya... perhaps I was exaggerating. I don't drive aggressively, but I spose that others might perceive my "fun" driving as being aggressive. Hmmm.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by 911Dave
It's #2 in my opinion. I've experienced exactly the same thing you describe all the time, and I began to suspect that it was the result of the way I was driving. So, I experimented by deliberately driving the Porsche defensively instead of aggressively, and, as if I turned off a light bulb, everyone on the road stopped behaving aggressively towards me. Try it and you'll see. A car like this does two things to you: 1) it makes you feel special, like you're better than everyone else on the road, which subconsciously makes you drive as though you are, and 2) It feels so darn good to drive it fast that it's really hard not to. You don't even realize you're doing it.

If you have a car that is better and more expensive than all the other cars on the road, and you drive it in a way that tells other drivers that you know it, you will be perceived as an a**hole and other drivers will treat you like one. You don't realize it but you ARE driving differently.

And a vanity plate doesn't help either. Think about what the word "vanity" means. Having a plate like that says "look at me and look at what I'm driving. I have a special plate because my car is better than yours and I'm more important than you are". There are an awful lot of people, like me, that do not like vanity plates or the people who use them.

So, you are:

1. Driving a car that declares your high status
2. Driving it in a manner that indicates you think you are the king of the road
3. Wearing a plate that sends the message that you're important and your car is better than other cars.

...and it's no wonder other drivers are showing their disapproval. It's also clear why Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo drivers have the reputation of being a**holes. In my opinion it is usually well deserved.
Good insight. BTW I don't have a vanity plate...

Regardless, that is sort of my point. I'm just out there having fun, but I can see how others might perceive this as being arrogant. I never drive dangerously or cut other people off, but like stated previously, other people certainly will. But then if I drive it like I drive my Subaru, then whats the point? Aren't I supposed to drive it differently?

Anyway, I'm not too worried about it. Life goes on and I love to drive.

Jimmy

p.s. i'm going to have to delete this thread before my wife reads it! She'll never let me drive again, if she knew what goes on out there.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:09 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr 997
But then if I drive it like I drive my Subaru, then whats the point? Aren't I supposed to drive it differently?
I don't think there's anything wrong with driving it a little harder than usual. It is, after all, a toy meant to be enjoyed. You just have to put up with the reactions of other drivers, and the occasional speeding ticket
Old 03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
MMD
Banned

Just assume people see the $100K car and are going to be a little miffed.

Drive very politely.

Let the tailgating and boy-racer dipsh*ts get the message quickly that you don't intend to play with them.

Always give the pedestrians extreme courtesy in the city.

Crush the gas pedal when there's a gap between the car you just passed and the cars ahead. When you get to the cars ahead, pass them slowly.

ALWAYS use your right turn signal when you passed someone and are getting in front of them.

Touch brake pedal to let people you just passed __think__ you're slowing down.

While driving your car that costs more than their house, just reasure those around you that everything's fine and you're driving "responsibly" (i.e. braindead); but only you, I, and other Pcar drivers know the truth.

Oh..., most importantly, unless you're in the passinglane, let people in front of you when they signal their intentions. You can pass them later.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

In Los Angeles with its share of costly cars, the sight of a new 997 is hardly unique. But the rice-racer crowd in their Hondas/Mitsubishis/Subarus with the "motor boat" exhausts do love to show you that their IQs are lower than the posted speed limit. The other group of aggressive drivers I see regularly (forgive me in advance for this) are 20-somethings in their 3-series and 5-series BMWs or Infiniti G-35s. Apparently this is another sub-group with "a lot to prove."

I love driving my 997 aggressively, but I almost never do it with other cars around. It's just not smart - for a whole bunch of reasons (many stated in previous posts here).

Quick Reply: Do Porsches create a**h0les?