Sponsored by:

Top Detailing Products for your 997

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:45 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Detailing Products for your 997

I couldn't PM OCBen so I thought I'd give a post here so that he and others could have a chance to add there two cents to this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...98#post3105798

The gauntlet has been thrown, so it now time for people to show what they really think is the best.

I'm very curious to see how 997 owners compare to others both here on rennlist and on autopia.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my current favorites. I use P21S gel to clean the wheels (always cleaning them before I wash the car). I love Griot's Garage car shampoo. I have bottles of P21S and Pinnacle in my garage, but keep going back to and re-ordering the Griots. I wash the car using several sheepskin mitts that I got at Excel Detail (www.exceldetail.com). Patrick at Excel is a really nice guy and the mitts are very nice. I dry the car using a microfiber waffle weave towel and use microfiber waffle weaves to dry the wheels (www.detailersparadise.com). I use Finish Kare 425 after washing to give extra shine and slickness.

I've been using Pinnacle Souveran as my wax and like it, but have some Carnauba Jett and Carnauba Glos on order from Jeffs Werkstatt (www.jeffswerkstatt.com). I like Poorboys Spray and Wipe for quick detailing when there's some dust on the car. For microfiber towels, I like various sources, but my new favorite is Pakshak (www.pakshak.com). I even ordered a bunch of these for my Dad for Father's Day.

As for polishes, Patrick at Excel details my car about twice a year, so I leave that stuff to him! I know he uses a variety of products.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:01 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Here are my current favorites. I use P21S gel to clean the wheels (always cleaning them before I wash the car). I love Griot's Garage car shampoo. I have bottles of P21S and Pinnacle in my garage, but keep going back to and re-ordering the Griots. I wash the car using several sheepskin mitts that I got at Excel Detail (www.exceldetail.com). Patrick at Excel is a really nice guy and the mitts are very nice. I dry the car using a microfiber waffle weave towel and use microfiber waffle weaves to dry the wheels (www.detailersparadise.com). I use Finish Kare 425 after washing to give extra shine and slickness.

I've been using Pinnacle Souveran as my wax and like it, but have some Carnauba Jett and Carnauba Glos on order from Jeffs Werkstatt (www.jeffswerkstatt.com). I like Poorboys Spray and Wipe for quick detailing when there's some dust on the car. For microfiber towels, I like various sources, but my new favorite is Pakshak (www.pakshak.com). I even ordered a bunch of these for my Dad for Father's Day.

As for polishes, Patrick at Excel details my car about twice a year, so I leave that stuff to him! I know he uses a variety of products.
I agree with you on the Griots Car Wash - that stuff is awesome and smells great too.

Have you tried Griots Speed Shine? If so, how would you compare it to Finish Kare 425 and Poorboys Spray and Wipe?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by ronmart
I agree with you on the Griots Car Wash - that stuff is awesome and smells great too.

Have you tried Griots Speed Shine? If so, how would you compare it to Finish Kare 425 and Poorboys Spray and Wipe?

I've used Speed Shine. I don't like it as well as a lot of people (though I still have a tiny bottle of it in my car for emergencies -- i.e. birds). I find it to be streaky. FK 425 leaves a super slick surface. Poorboys S&W seems to have greater cleaning properties than either FK 425 or Speedshine.

Oh, one thing I forgot to add to my original post is that I like Mother's FX for the tires. Sometimes I like some gloss and sometimes I don't. For when I want gloss, I go Mothers, for when I want a matte finish I use Adam's VRT.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:04 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

I've used Speed Shine. I don't like it as well as a lot of people (though I still have a tiny bottle of it in my car for emergencies -- i.e. birds). I find it to be streaky. FK 425 leaves a super slick surface. Poorboys S&W seems to have greater cleaning properties than either FK 425 or Speedshine.

Oh, one thing I forgot to add to my original post is that I like Mother's FX for the tires. Sometimes I like some gloss and sometimes I don't. For when I want gloss, I go Mothers, for when I want a matte finish I use Adam's VRT.
Dammit, now I need to add FK 425 to my things to order next time list.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Dammit, now I need to add FK 425 to my things to order next time list.
The good thing is that it's relatively inexpensive and you get a fairly big bottle.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

The good thing is that it's relatively inexpensive and you get a fairly big bottle.
And no sales tax and shipping is only $5 no matter what you order

I like the 146 as much as the 425.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Dawn soap to start, clay (any make) and lubricant spray, Kalsse AIO once...then from there on out Zaino...Zaino soap, Zaino Z5Pro, Z-8, Z2Pro, Zaino Leather (Z-10). For wheels...Poorboys wheel sealant. For dash areas (high UV exposure)...Aero 303. Tires...Black Again or poorboys. Cab tops...RaggTopp. A Porter Cable and lots of MAF towels. Stoners for glass.

I use detailcity and autopia.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Cool, thanks!

Where's OCBen?

Somebody tell him I'm suggesting everyone use a boars hair brush with comet to clean their car (while in the sun of course) and dry it with nylon bath towels and wax it with Turtle Wax using a Black and Decker direct drive polisher. Maybe that'll get him here to add his two cents.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Cool, thanks!

Where's OCBen?

Somebody tell him I'm suggesting everyone use a boars hair brush with comet to clean their car (while in the sun of course) and dry it with nylon bath towels and wax it with Turtle Wax using a Black and Decker direct drive polisher. Maybe that'll get him here to add his two cents.
Dear Lord! I actually have the Griot's boar's hair brush and I swear I could see micro marring on my car after using it. That said, my husband and I sometimes use it on his car (silver Lexus) when pressed for time. His car doesn't show anything.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:47 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Dear Lord! I actually have the Griot's boar's hair brush and I swear I could see micro marring on my car after using it. That said, my husband and I sometimes use it on his car (silver Lexus) when pressed for time. His car doesn't show anything.
I have a Griots Boars Hair Brush (BHB) and have successfully used it without any marring on my Midnight Blue 997 and Black Mercedes. However, just like using a mitt or sponge, if used impromperly it can cause marring.

Ben thinks BHB's are the anti-christ, so if you want his opinion it is "never use a BHB".
Old 06-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 286 Posts

I have a Griots Boars Hair Brush (BHB) and have successfully used it without any marring on my Midnight Blue 997 and Black Mercedes.
Ditto here - I really like my Boars Hair brush and use it along with the yellow Griot's rectangular-shaped wash bucket and Meguiar's Gold Class car wash/shampoo. Haven't noticed any problems on my '05 Arctic Silver 997 cab.

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:17 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

I have compiled a list of the most popular responses from here and Autopia on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...04#post3105604

If you want to see what you should seriously consider having in your detail cabinet. I know I'm going to be placing an order today for a few new things.

Last edited by ronmart; 06-01-2006 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Corrected link
Old 06-01-2006, 04:35 PM
JHD
Intermediate

I have compiled a list of the most popular responses from here and Autopia on this thread:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...798#post3105798
Seems to be an error with your link.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:13 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JHD
Seems to be an error with your link.
Thanks for letting me know. It is the same one in my sig:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...04#post3105604

The first post are my current favorites and go to the end to see the current results from what many consider to be the top products (time to go shopping).

Quick Reply: Top Detailing Products for your 997