Sponsored by:

Top Detailing Products for your 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Here is what you need to do:

Wash your car with Dawn dishwashing soap (it cuts previously applied wax)
Mix ZFX with Z2 Pro Apply one coat, wait one hour and remove with cotton towel or high quality micro cloth
Add another coat of Z2 Pro, wait one hour and remove
Spray with Z-6 Finishing spray
Wear sunglasses to prevent eye damage from incredible shine.
After a few coats as described above you're good to go and you can always spray on the Z6 finishing spray after you wash it just to keep it looking very sharp. Bottom line, spend an afternoon with the initial application and you're set. Here is the problem though, as you apply more coats of Z2 Pro, the depth of the paint gets deeper and deeper giving your car a look you will really appreciate. Anyway, this is my suggestion, I love the stuff and my cars look great even though I have limited time to spend detailing them. Good Luck.
PS I love the color of your Coupe, it will look awesome with Zaino.

www.Zainostore.com
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
I'm going to use Griots Car Wash, which in my mind is the best product out there. Super slick, super sudsy and smells fantastic.
That's what I use as well.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:57 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Yeah, I used loads. It was a fresh bar that was opened up right out of the plastic and never hit the ground. You'll notice that the Sonus clay is a lot harder than the Griots. I'm now using the Sonus clay for glass and wheels only now.

Ah, crappers! I'll do the same, I guess.

Yeah, I like the Griots SpeedShine. Richard Griot told me that is actually supposed to be a raspberry smell. I had a bad experience the other day with Meguiars QuikWipe. I was wiping the hood of my Benz and dried it with a microfiber in a parking garage. It looking fine at the time, but when I got it home I noticed a slight cloudy haze (the paint was freshly sealed and waxed so it was perfect). I've never had the Benz paint looking this perfect, so I've never seen htis happen with QuikWipe before, but I was a bit disappointed. I'm now only going to use it on the wife's Lexus.

Raspberry smell. I think it smells just like bubble gum you get in those baseball packages. Interesting-

Ah, your hopeless!

Yeah, wouldn't mind one of those for tight spots, but I don't have an air compressor so it would be a big investment. I'm trying to resist temptation!

Are you talking about the thick kind like these:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1003&SKU=11023

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/microfiber.htm (Foam Core Waffle Weave)

I'm with you on the core thing...

and the equivalents sold at other places?

Personally, I'm very happy with these (I have 8 ):
http://autopia-carcare.com/son-dwdt-2.html
so I'm not going to bother with the Foam Core's. Personally I find that when I use something like that, I end up using it too long and end up marring the paint. I prefer to use the towels I have in pairs and get a new pair after each quadrant.

I'm with you on the core thing. I have severl waffles, but want to try some others. I'm pulling these down now. Thanks!

My current $200+ order of stuff from AutoGeek shows up on Monday (can't wait! ). I picked up a foam gun and some of the items from the "popular" items listed above.

Foam gun?! Hmmm,..a tool I don't have. I'm checking on that one.

I also got some Rejex and Durgloss AquaWax (951?) this week too. I've done a wheel and part of the back of my wife's SUV to see how the Rejex does, so all I need now is some crappy weather. Who would have thought in Seattle I would be hoping for rain and not getting it!
Thanks for the advice...
Old 06-11-2006, 11:06 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erikjwells
ok... you guys need to be committed --- There is no way on God's green earth I could find the time to detail my car like you guys do... while your cleaning yours.. I'm out driving mine...

So does anyone have a short list of products to use for guys like me that make time to wash their babies but don't have the time or inclination to detail like you guys do? I Obviously would like to make the most of my time and use really good products...

Thanks in advance..
Here's my short list:
1. Griots Garage Car Wash with a sheepskin or microfiber mitt to clean the entire car
2. Klasse All-In-One (recommended by OCBen) Sealant
3. (optional) Klasse High Gloss Sealant (or if you are lazy then Duragloss Aquawax)
4. Microfiber towels

You can click on the link in my sig to get links to these products.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:25 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Saw that Foam Gun and couldn't pass it up after reading the reviews. Hey, anything new that can save me some time or effort, I'm in. I get my at the end of the week.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:44 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

He he - yeah, cool stuff. Mine is out for delivery from UPS to my house today. I took my car to the track this weekend and it is the most filfthy it has ever been, so I'll put it to the test later this week or this coming weekend. Fun stuff!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:30 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

The stuff is piling-up on the floor in my dinning nook. I'll be putting the stuff in the garage tonight for the weekend. I have a 4 1/2 car garage and need more room. We're moving next spring and the next garage will be BIGGER. Post your thoughts on the Foamer and I'll do the same. BTW, I love my compressor and all the tools I can use with it. If you go this route, make sure you get the largest unit you can accomodate in your garage.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:47 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
The stuff is piling-up on the floor in my dinning nook. I'll be putting the stuff in the garage tonight for the weekend. I have a 4 1/2 car garage and need more room. We're moving next spring and the next garage will be BIGGER. Post your thoughts on the Foamer and I'll do the same. BTW, I love my compressor and all the tools I can use with it. If you go this route, make sure you get the largest unit you can accomodate in your garage.
Ha ha - yeah, I don't know where I'm going to put the 14 lbs worth of new stuff arriving today from Autogeek!

Don't even tell me about the compressor. I've wanted one of those since I was a kid. If I got one my wife would kill me.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
BTW, I love my compressor and all the tools I can use with it. If you go this route, make sure you get the largest unit you can accomodate in your garage.
I've got a Rigid 4.5 gallon unit that fits under my workbench. It works fine for running air tools, nailers etc.

Would love to have your 4 1/2 car garage though
Old 06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

The tools with a compressor are so much lighter and easier to use. Can you run much with a 4.5er? It probably just runs often I guess. Mine's 20 gallons and I wish I bought a bigger one. I have 4 cars in the garage so I'm awaiting the larger pad which will contain an elaborate set-up. Well more elaborate than what I have.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Ron,

Did you get your new stuff? What have you tried out so far? Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:22 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Ron,

Did you get your new stuff? What have you tried out so far? Thoughts?
Yes, I did. I'll post more detailed comments at some point, but here's the quick thoughts:

Autogeek

Foam Gun - Waste of money. Yes, it puts a nice layer of soap on your car, but dirt isn't going to magically melt away so you still need to use your mitt which means you need a bucket with soap. You'll end up using twice as much soap for identical results, BUT you also risk getting soap and water spots as it is much harder to work a section of the car at time. If you have a covered carport, then perhaps you are protected from that. However, I have to work in the sun and take the car in the garage for drying (actually I dry per section now). Overall it is a cool toy, but it is more gimmick than anything else.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine - It does work. I'd still be afraid to use it on heavy soiled areas. It does leave a bit of a haze compared to a good wash like Griots, but the haze is easily removed with a quick detailer product. I find where this stuff shines is having a bucket of it pre-made and hanging around for things like cleaning off bird poop, cleaning dirty door jambs where you can't use the hose, or for cleaning wheels with brake dust on an otherwise clean car. I also trust it MUCH more than a quick detailer for cleaning a car with heavier dust build up.

Poorboys Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash - Smells like toilet mints but works well. It is less slick than Griots Speed Shine, so I wouldn't use it with clay. However, it wipes off quicker. The results of this & Speed Shine are identical if both are removed properly. Both have an edge over Meguiars Quik Detailer which can leave a bit of a cloudy haze.

3M Imperial Hand Glaze - Works as advertised. It is a good glaze that will hide micromarring and swirls on dark paint. It isn't a final step product, but it creates an excellent base coat for a final step product. I was impressed.

P21S Total Auto Wash - Haven't found a good use for it and it hasn't done anything to knock my socks off yet, so the jury is still out on this one.

Poorboy's Natty’s Paste Wax – BLUE - Works well. Creates a deep shine and is easy to use. The judge is still out as to how it compares to P21s Canauba Wax because I haven't done the whole 911 yet (hopefully will do that today), but early results are that it is at least as good and only cost about 40% as much. I highly recommend it (but don't buy it if you have P21s on hand already.

Others

303 Aerospace Protectant - This the same stuff that is in Sonus Total Eclipse from what I can tell and works exactly the same. It has a bit of a greasy finish, so a final wipe is needed. Griots Vinyl & Rubber Dressing creates a better matte look.

Duragloss Aquawax - Haven't tried it yet. My cars are too clean!

No Touch Tire Care - Haven't tried it yet.

Griots Garage Oil & Grease Remover - Haven't had a job hard enough to really try it out yet. Hasn't impressed me yet.

Griots Engine Cleaner - Haven't tried it yet.

Griots Microfiber Shop Towels - Red microfiber version of the classic cotton shop towel. It is more durable and stiff than a typical cotton shop towel. Holds up very well, but isn't as absorbant as the classics. I got 6 for free, but they look like about $2 - $3 per towel based on the quality for them which means they would be expensive for shop towels. I can tell they'll last for a very long time though.

7 1/2 inch German Constant Pressure Polishing Pad - These are FANTASTIC for final finish especially on cars like Mercedes which have very shapely hoods with deep channels that are hard to wax properly with an orbital. These are very safe and the fact that the pad covers the backing plate makes it just about idiot proof. I can't understand why they have a hole in the bottom that makes me a bit nervous, but it worked great with my Griots Orbital. I highly recommend it for liquid waxes like Griots Best of Show or 3M.

ExcelDetail Sheepskin Mitts - These suck. They leave lint and the quality of the sheepskin is terrible compared to what I was using before (which cost about the same). My 1+ year old mitt on the left in the picture below is softer and better than the new one on the right from Excel which leaves lint like crazy (my other ones never did that) and they have an unnatural color so I think they are bleached or something. Yes they hold lots of water and yes they won't scratch if used properly, but I'm not impressed at all. Patrick was a really nice guy though and would probably take them back, but it isn't worth the hassle. I also paid about $4 too much for shipping, but unlike others he didn't refund the difference to me. I don't blame him though, I wouldn't either if I was running a business.
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Foam Gun - Waste of money. Yes, it puts a nice layer of soap on your car, but dirt isn't going to magically melt away so you still need to use your mitt which means you need a bucket with soap. You'll end up using twice as much soap for identical results, BUT you also risk getting soap and water spots as it is much harder to work a section of the car at time. If you have a covered carport, then perhaps you are protected from that. However, I have to work in the sun and take the car in the garage for drying (actually I dry per section now). Overall it is a cool toy, but it is more gimmick than anything else.
This I have to disagree with you.

One major reason car washes use foam is to not "melt it" away but to loose the bond it has with the finish, and yes you still need a mitt and a bucket to rinse your mitt, not a bucket of soap. As for soap for the gun, there are several that work well and other that do not. As for drying, a leaf blower works very well getting water off quickly with a WW MF towel to finish.

Pads: I'd now go with EDGE 2000 DA pads for those using a Porter Cable. Foolproof way of getting a pad perfectly centered, less vibration, very quick change of pads. You can even get multi-face pads ie; one side polish, other side cut. Nothing wrong with the "German" pad, just an easier way to use and switch pads via Edge. Use these pads with my rotary all the time.

Enjoy your detailing.

Regards,
Deanski,
Dr. Shine
Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Yes, I did. I'll post more detailed comments at some point, but here's the quick thoughts:

Autogeek

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine - It does work. I'd still be afraid to use it on heavy soiled areas. It does leave a bit of a haze compared to a good wash like Griots, but the haze is easily removed with a quick detailer product. I find where this stuff shines is having a bucket of it pre-made and hanging around for things like cleaning off bird poop, cleaning dirty door jambs where you can't use the hose, or for cleaning wheels with brake dust on an otherwise clean car. I also trust it MUCH more than a quick detailer for cleaning a car with heavier dust build up.

Poorboys Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash - Smells like toilet mints but works well. It is less slick than Griots Speed Shine, so I wouldn't use it with clay. However, it wipes off quicker. The results of this & Speed Shine are identical if both are removed properly. Both have an edge over Meguiars Quik Detailer which can leave a bit of a cloudy haze.

3M Imperial Hand Glaze - Works as advertised. It is a good glaze that will hide micromarring and swirls on dark paint. It isn't a final step product, but it creates an excellent base coat for a final step product. I was impressed.

P21S Total Auto Wash - Haven't found a good use for it and it hasn't done anything to knock my socks off yet, so the jury is still out on this one.

Poorboy's Natty’s Paste Wax – BLUE - Works well. Creates a deep shine and is easy to use. The judge is still out as to how it compares to P21s Canauba Wax because I haven't done the whole 911 yet (hopefully will do that today), but early results are that it is at least as good and only cost about 40% as much. I highly recommend it (but don't buy it if you have P21s on hand already.

Others

303 Aerospace Protectant - This the same stuff that is in Sonus Total Eclipse from what I can tell and works exactly the same. It has a bit of a greasy finish, so a final wipe is needed. Griots Vinyl & Rubber Dressing creates a better matte look.

Duragloss Aquawax - Haven't tried it yet. My cars are too clean!

No Touch Tire Care - Haven't tried it yet.

Griots Garage Oil & Grease Remover - Haven't had a job hard enough to really try it out yet. Hasn't impressed me yet.

Griots Engine Cleaner - Haven't tried it yet.

Griots Microfiber Shop Towels - Red microfiber version of the classic cotton shop towel. It is more durable and stiff than a typical cotton shop towel. Holds up very well, but isn't as absorbant as the classics. I got 6 for free, but they look like about $2 - $3 per towel based on the quality for them which means they would be expensive for shop towels. I can tell they'll last for a very long time though.

7 1/2 inch German Constant Pressure Polishing Pad - These are FANTASTIC for final finish especially on cars like Mercedes which have very shapely hoods with deep channels that are hard to wax properly with an orbital. These are very safe and the fact that the pad covers the backing plate makes it just about idiot proof. I can't understand why they have a hole in the bottom that makes me a bit nervous, but it worked great with my Griots Orbital. I highly recommend it for liquid waxes like Griots Best of Show or 3M.

ExcelDetail Sheepskin Mitts - These suck. They leave lint and the quality of the sheepskin is terrible compared to what I was using before (which cost about the same). My 1+ year old mitt on the left in the picture below is softer and better than the new one on the right from Excel which leaves lint like crazy (my other ones never did that) and they have an unnatural color so I think they are bleached or something. Yes they hold lots of water and yes they won't scratch if used properly, but I'm not impressed at all. Patrick was a really nice guy though and would probably take them back, but it isn't worth the hassle. I also paid about $4 too much for shipping, but unlike others he didn't refund the difference to me. I don't blame him though, I wouldn't either if I was running a business.
That's too bad about the Excel mitts. I like the ones I've bought from Patrick. Where did you get the ones in your photos? I'm also surprised that he didn't refund you the shipping difference because I thought he did that.

I agree re the P21S Auto Body Wash. I like Poorboy's Spray and Wipe. I use it to removed dust, I use something else with clay. I also like my foam gun. I've got some Natty's Blue on order, so I'll be giving it a try soon. Thanks for posting your thoughts re all of these products!
Old 06-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

One polish I still wish I could get more of but it's no longer being shipped to the USA is Menzerna P085RD. Designed for Mercedes/Maybach Ceramiclear finishes, but works so damn well on normal clearcoats. Too bad Porsche has not started using Ceramiclear for the clearcoat.

In the mean time, I've been using Menzerna P0106FF or another, Final Polish II. I understand Blackfire has a very similar polish to 85RD or 106FF in their line for "scratch resistant coatings" polish. I've yet to test it side-by-side.

For a LSP (Last Step Product) I use sealants mostly. The new Zaino Z5-Pro is by far 150% better than before! Better hiding, better gloss and no more plastic-wrap look. Followed by Z2-Pro is just an insane amount of gloss/shine. The new Z8 "Grande Finale" spray (a QD) is my new crack! It leaves the finish very slick and very glossy.

For wax, one detail day, I did a side-by-side with Nattys and Souveran. We had numerous professional detailers as well as hobbiest try to tell which one is which and why. Only one person was correct. Not bad for Natty to be compaired with Souveran and looking almost identical. I normally use Souveran on dark solid finishes. Silver metallics work best and really POP with P21S.

For those that want to polish w/o damage to paint, a Porter Cable 7424 ROP (Random Orbital Polisher) is by far the safest way to polish paint with a power tool. Unless you are in the trade such as myself, stay away from any rotary or any commercial ROP heavy units.

A good supply of quality towels are a must. MF and cotton. Don't be cheap, all that work can be ruined in a few strokes of a poor towel.

Enjoy your detailing!

Regards,
Deanski
Dr. Shine

Quick Reply: Top Detailing Products for your 997