Sponsored by:

Top Detailing Products for your 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Hey Deanski. I just Zaino my car this weekend and I have a couple questions for you. Do you use the z6 before any Z5? YES

Do you spray the z6 on the car or a pad?BOTH

I spray it on the car and wipe off. when you say mist the applicator pad with Z6, are you meaning the pad that you are using to put the Z5 on with?YES

I was have a little trouble with the pad be to dry at first. I do have to say that this is the first time I used a Zaino and was very pleased with the results. I put 1 coat of z5 and 2 of z2 with the z6 in between and after. How many coats did you do on your P-car?
Normally I will do 3 coats of Z5-Pro in one day. If I'm happy with the results, then I'll do Z2-Pro. I use Z8 between each coat.

One thing, if you ever get any streaking, use a mix of Z7 soap and distilled water in a spray bottle. Spray the streaking area with the mix and wipe off. It's mostly due to too heavy an application and it will then partly cure, then as you wipe it off, the part that has not cured will break the lower coat and drag it.

Use cotton pads for applicators for best use. Always mist the pad for best results. It helps it it flow as you apply it.

You HAVE to try the Z8 one day!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. can I put more coat(z5 and z2) on after a z6 wipe down, even though I already drove around a day or two? The car has a little road dust and a few bugs. Or should I wash again? This time with the z7 or with dawn? I will have to order some of the z8.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ronmart
If Z5-Pro is a sealant, then why would I use it over the Klasse twins / P21s combo which have been awesome on the vehicles I've used them on? Beads simply can't get any smaller and after two weeks of being daily driven in the rain the vehicles look nearly clean because nothing seems to stick (except in the back of the SUV).

I'm always willing to try to try something new, but only if I can be sure there's a clear advantage. I'm pretty freakin happy with the Klasse twins when it comes to sealants.

With that said, what Zanio products would you recommend I order and why?
You cannot put it over P21S, BUT you CAN use it over the Klasse if it's the pre-VOC version.

Nothing wrong with AIO and it's sealant gloss. It's when you top it with wax that dulls the gloss. Something like having a nice shampoo'd hair, then adding Vitalis or other "grease" to it. Same effect. Some sealants are also mixed with wax depending on the type of "sealant" or chemical technology used.

Most people will polish/prep prior to Zaino for best results rather than putting it on top of another product.

For Zaino to start, Z5-Pro and ZFX catalyst kit. A bottle of Z6 spray or if you want more gloss, Z8 spray. Add Z2-Pro like Klasse's gloss sealant. You could think of Z5 and Z2 as the new "twins".

I like Zaino now that they removed the REJEX look from the older versions which all had that Saran-Wrap look prior. Now, it's very glossy, slick as hell and lasts, but then again, I'm always "playing" with the finish and my car does not see rain. Yes, I'm THAT ****! Ask my customers! After a detail of a customer car, each gets a small bottle of all products used (except cutting polishes etc) a small QD spray bottle. All get MF towels as well and full instructions on how to maintain it.

Maybe you could reach out to a local detailer in the area on Autopia or Detailcity to have Zaino trial application test so you can see for yourself if you like it prior to ordering. Just make sure you inform them of what's on it now.

Like I said, you can also call Sal yourself or email him as well.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-19-2006, 01:36 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
You cannot put it over P21S, BUT you CAN use it over the Klasse if it's the pre-VOC version.

Nothing wrong with AIO and it's sealant gloss. It's when you top it with wax that dulls the gloss. Something like having a nice shampoo'd hair, then adding Vitalis or other "grease" to it. Same effect. Some sealants are also mixed with wax depending on the type of "sealant" or chemical technology used.

Most people will polish/prep prior to Zaino for best results rather than putting it on top of another product.

For Zaino to start, Z5-Pro and ZFX catalyst kit. A bottle of Z6 spray or if you want more gloss, Z8 spray. Add Z2-Pro like Klasse's gloss sealant. You could think of Z5 and Z2 as the new "twins".

I like Zaino now that they removed the REJEX look from the older versions which all had that Saran-Wrap look prior. Now, it's very glossy, slick as hell and lasts, but then again, I'm always "playing" with the finish and my car does not see rain. Yes, I'm THAT ****! Ask my customers! After a detail of a customer car, each gets a small bottle of all products used (except cutting polishes etc) a small QD spray bottle. All get MF towels as well and full instructions on how to maintain it.

Maybe you could reach out to a local detailer in the area on Autopia or Detailcity to have Zaino trial application test so you can see for yourself if you like it prior to ordering. Just make sure you inform them of what's on it now.

Like I said, you can also call Sal yourself or email him as well.

Regards,
Deanski
Yeah, I wouldn't expect you could put it on top of a wax like P21s. I'm currently doing the Klasse twins as the base and then P21s on top and honestly I can't see how it could get much better than that. The Benz looks like black glass and the Lexus didn't look this good when we took delivery of it 5+ years ago. You literally can't look directly at it in the sunlight without sunglasses its so freakin glassy!

How do I get in touch with Sal? I'll talk to him and see if I can get some samples. I'll try it out on the Benz or maybe even the 911. If it really looks better then I have no problems buying it.

I'm just pretty freakin happy with what I have now though. In fact, I had my Mercedes over at the dealership parked to a new black E350 that was being delivered to someone and I swear my finish looked much better, despite spending 6 years as a daily driver and having 40+ rock chips in it. The depth of the pure black on it is simply as good as a piano finish or polished obsidian.

I definitely won't be using Poorboys Natty's Blue anymore though. Its finish is nice, but the chalky residue sucks. I spent another hour on the 911 today getting that crap out of the crevases and park sensors.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:39 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Actually, I forgot I was doing Griots Best of Show before the P21s on the hoods of the Lexus and Mercedes (so its polish with Griots Machine Polish 3 & 4, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, 2 coats of Griots Best of Show (1 burnished coat), P21s Carnuaba wax). Perhaps it is the Griots Best of Show that is making the bigger difference.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Coating

Originally Posted by meaker
Thanks. can I put more coat(z5 and z2) on after a z6 wipe down, even though I already drove around a day or two? The car has a little road dust and a few bugs. Or should I wash again? This time with the z7 or with dawn? I will have to order some of the z8.
Whenever possible, always wash off any dirt to avoid marring. The only time you would use the dishwashing detergent is to strip wax/oil, so just wash with Z7.

Yes, you can layer as often as you want, up to 3 coats in one day with ZFX added. If you apply Zaino w/o ZFX, only one coat per day due to curing/bonding.

I always spray the finish first, then add another coat of Zaino. You will really like the Z8!

RONMART:

Here's the link to contact Sal: Zaino Contacts Give Sal a call and see what he can do for you!

Regards,
Deanski

Last edited by Deanski; 06-19-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:08 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the best thing to polish the PSE tail pipes with?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robbonds
Any chrome polish should do, but remember to use a SOFT towel or your scratch them. Also remember that chrome leaves a black residue, so don't use your good towels or applicators.

I got the cheap yellow $1 microfibers from Autopia and use those with Sonus glass & chrome polish and they look great. Clean really well first though to get rid of the soot.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Chrome Polish

FLITZ! Best one yet for metal/chrome polishes and very mild.

Stay away from Whendol red tube polish that you'll find in say William Sonoma, it's too abrasive for chrome. The Blue one is fine.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Queram
Instructor

An amateur question.

I really do not have time to work on the car. I prefer to rather drive it but I also like to keep my cars maintained. I left my P to a professional but I am totally unsatisfied. I want to do it myself but not spent days on 10 layers off stuff. My car is Basalt Black. I have been reading the websites and forums that you guys referred and I am proud to say that now I am in a total dilemma.

I have 3M Impreial Hand Glaze already. Is it enough if I buy a sythetic wax and a sealeant. The posts made me think that I either get Meguiars or Klasses All in one. Klasse as a sealant. I have Sonax shampoo with polish as well.

Is it enough that I apply 3M Hand Glaze 3 times a year with the wax and sealant.?

I am so confused. I wish there was only one brand for each thing

PS: I found Blitz 1 wax in the garage but I think it is cannuba that you guys say that wont last long.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ive read a lot of very long posts listing the 20 or so things you need to detail...how about a list for a novice
right now i use armoral car wash, a good mit, and some cotton towels - I know I know - you are laughing right?

i thought i would take a day off work and detail all day - thinking zaino?

what do you recommend for a novice?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Novice Detailing

ive read a lot of very long posts listing the 20 or so things you need to detail...how about a list for a novice
right now i use armoral car wash, a good mit, and some cotton towels - I know I know - you are laughing right?

i thought i would take a day off work and detail all day - thinking zaino?

what do you recommend for a novice?
First and formost, go and browse Autopia.org and Detailcity.org. There is a wealth of info there as well as how-to's, what to start with etc. Another good source, although leaning to products they sell is: CMA or from the Autopia site: Guide to Detailing

Zaino is one of the finest sealant/show car sealant, but it does need a darn good finish to go over as it can highlight defects due to it's high optical quality. Sure, Z5-Pro does hide very light spiderwebbing or maring but it may take several coats. Zaino also needs a wax free/oil free finish for it to bond correctly. Zaino has a catalyst (ZFX) that you use along with Z5-Pro and Z2-Pro. Zaino now makes a polish to also remove defects as well. They also make a very good tire shine and a leather conditioner. Clay, I'd go with an ultra-fine clay if you have surface defects.

A good sheepskin mitt and two-bucket washing works well. Foam guns do also work in adding more lube from the soap to help loosen the dirt and with the high pressure stream to rinse is close to the same action as a carwash.

To strip wax via a wash, a high alkaline detergent (dishwashing liquid like Dawn) will strip wax and oils for Zaino or other sealants to bond.

Always, start with the least abrassive polish/pad, then move up in polish abrassiveness before changing pads. Normally, most people will use a Porter-Cable "PC" polisher and foam pads to properly polish the finish w/o fear of damage. A rotary will burn paint in the untrained hands in a second!

Always have high-quality Micro-Fiber towels (Packshak, DWTowels etc) and if using "cotton" towels, read the label, it may not be 100% cotton as edges and stiching can be nylon. I purchase all USA 100% towels, cut off all trim all around the towel. I do not use fabric softners as they clog the cotton and prevent it from absorbtion. Never use dryer sheets/fabric softeners with MF towels as well.

Happy reading and hope you find what you are looking for!

Regards,
Deanski,
Dr. Shine
Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Question

Originally Posted by Queram
An amateur question.

I really do not have time to work on the car. I prefer to rather drive it but I also like to keep my cars maintained. I left my P to a professional but I am totally unsatisfied. I want to do it myself but not spent days on 10 layers off stuff. My car is Basalt Black. I have been reading the websites and forums that you guys referred and I am proud to say that now I am in a total dilemma.

I have 3M Impreial Hand Glaze already. Is it enough if I buy a sythetic wax and a sealeant. The posts made me think that I either get Meguiars or Klasses All in one. Klasse as a sealant. I have Sonax shampoo with polish as well.

Is it enough that I apply 3M Hand Glaze 3 times a year with the wax and sealant.?

I am so confused. I wish there was only one brand for each thing

PS: I found Blitz 1 wax in the garage but I think it is cannuba that you guys say that wont last long.
3M IHG works very well in hiding/filling defects. From there, I'd go with a good wax such as P21S, or since you have black, a wax geared to black finishes such as Souveran.

Problem with a sealant such as Klasse AIO will REMOVE the 3M IHG from the finish due to AIO's cleaning ability.

Or just keep using AIO to get it cleaned and sealed, follow with the Klasse gloss sealant and if you want a bit deeper look, top with a wax.

AIO and it's "twin" works easy, fool-proof and works very well in getting a finish clean. If the finish has defects, I'd polish it with a mild polish first before AIO. Then top it with the "twin" of the Klasse. If you like it deeper/wetter looking, top with wax. The wax will deepen it, but it can sometimes mute the clear effects from the sealant.

Hey, nothing wrong with 3M IHG or Perfect-It glazes. It's just what goes on AFTER it.

Regards,
Deanski,
Dr. Shine
Old 06-19-2006, 07:12 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I currently putting a coat of AIO then a coat of Meguiars' NXT Generation Tech Wax on top. Should I use the P21S instead of the NXT?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I currently putting a coat of AIO then a coat of Meguiars' NXT Generation Tech Wax on top. Should I use the P21S instead of the NXT?
YES! NXT has a slight cleaning ability. It will remove some of the AIO. P21S will look nice!

Dr. Shine

Quick Reply: Top Detailing Products for your 997