Top Detailing Products for your 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:19 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
This I have to disagree with you.

One major reason car washes use foam is to not "melt it" away but to loose the bond it has with the finish, and yes you still need a mitt and a bucket to rinse your mitt, not a bucket of soap. As for soap for the gun, there are several that work well and other that do not. As for drying, a leaf blower works very well getting water off quickly with a WW MF towel to finish.

Pads: I'd now go with EDGE 2000 DA pads for those using a Porter Cable. Foolproof way of getting a pad perfectly centered, less vibration, very quick change of pads. You can even get multi-face pads ie; one side polish, other side cut. Nothing wrong with the "German" pad, just an easier way to use and switch pads via Edge. Use these pads with my rotary all the time.

Enjoy your detailing.

Regards,
Deanski,
Dr. Shine
That's cool, I'm just not convinced that the foam gun is worth the extra effort as I can't see any improvement in the results over not using it, but I can say that it took me 40% longer using the foam gun (part of which was due to having to switch nozzles since I only have one hose).

I'll take a look at the Edge pads. Do you have a link? Overall, I'm pretty happy with my pads now though (most of which are Griots).
Old 06-17-2006, 11:27 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Snoopy
That's too bad about the Excel mitts. I like the ones I've bought from Patrick. Where did you get the ones in your photos? I'm also surprised that he didn't refund you the shipping difference because I thought he did that.

I agree re the P21S Auto Body Wash. I like Poorboy's Spray and Wipe. I use it to removed dust, I use something else with clay. I also like my foam gun. I've got some Natty's Blue on order, so I'll be giving it a try soon. Thanks for posting your thoughts re all of these products!
The ones I got were purchased from a local dealership for $8 each. They got them from an independant dealer.

I spent this afternoon doing the 911 with Natty's Blue. It has a good shine, but i'm not convinced it is better than P21s. I CAN tell you that it is MUCH harder to remove and that it leaves chalky white residue like a MF!!!!! I spent MUCH more time removing it than what I do with P21s (about 90 minutes vs 20 minutes). The results are good, but not noticably better. My avitar and sig point to pics with P21s and here's a pic using Natty's blue...
Attached Images      
Old 06-17-2006, 11:31 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

One polish I still wish I could get more of but it's no longer being shipped to the USA is Menzerna P085RD. Designed for Mercedes/Maybach Ceramiclear finishes, but works so damn well on normal clearcoats. Too bad Porsche has not started using Ceramiclear for the clearcoat.

In the mean time, I've been using Menzerna P0106FF or another, Final Polish II. I understand Blackfire has a very similar polish to 85RD or 106FF in their line for "scratch resistant coatings" polish. I've yet to test it side-by-side.

For a LSP (Last Step Product) I use sealants mostly. The new Zaino Z5-Pro is by far 150% better than before! Better hiding, better gloss and no more plastic-wrap look. Followed by Z2-Pro is just an insane amount of gloss/shine. The new Z8 "Grande Finale" spray (a QD) is my new crack! It leaves the finish very slick and very glossy.

For wax, one detail day, I did a side-by-side with Nattys and Souveran. We had numerous professional detailers as well as hobbiest try to tell which one is which and why. Only one person was correct. Not bad for Natty to be compaired with Souveran and looking almost identical. I normally use Souveran on dark solid finishes. Silver metallics work best and really POP with P21S.

For those that want to polish w/o damage to paint, a Porter Cable 7424 ROP (Random Orbital Polisher) is by far the safest way to polish paint with a power tool. Unless you are in the trade such as myself, stay away from any rotary or any commercial ROP heavy units.

A good supply of quality towels are a must. MF and cotton. Don't be cheap, all that work can be ruined in a few strokes of a poor towel.

Enjoy your detailing!

Regards,
Deanski
Dr. Shine
I've used the Porter Cable and Griots Garage polish and I like the Griots better for the following reasons:
  1. The handle on the top makes the Griots easier to hold
  2. The Griots is much quieter
  3. The Griots has 4 screws distributed and better venting so it never gets hot (although the PC is pretty hard to get hot too but it will in the center eventually)

The only downside to the Griots is that you can't replace the backing plate so that limits the number of attachments you can use. Of course it is less expensive and has a better warranty though.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only downside to the Griots is that you can't replace the backing plate so that limits the number of attachments you can use. Of course it is less expensive and has a better warranty though.
Can't change/replace a backing pad? OK, what happens when it gets worn? Nothing worse than a backing pad that cannot hold onto the foam pad! One miss and kiss your finish goodbye! I've gone through many backing pads.

The PC is readly avalible, you can get numerous backing pads/plates and use the EDGE adapter. You can change the counterweight, and the noise will not bother the paint.

For casual users the Griots may be fine, but not being able to change a backing plate is a great concern!

Look into the EDGE adapter and pads. Very safe and no backing plate to worry about!

Deanski
Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by ronmart
The ones I got were purchased from a local dealership for $8 each. They got them from an independant dealer.

I spent this afternoon doing the 911 with Natty's Blue. It has a good shine, but i'm not convinced it is better than P21s. I CAN tell you that it is MUCH harder to remove and that it leaves chalky white residue like a MF!!!!! I spent MUCH more time removing it than what I do with P21s (about 90 minutes vs 20 minutes). The results are good, but not noticably better. My avitar and sig point to pics with P21s and here's a pic using Natty's blue...
The car looks super wet after the Natty's blue, though I am bummed to hear how tough it is to remove. I usually use Souveran and it's very easy to remove.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default P21s vs Nattys Blue

Difference:

P21S made by Dr. O.K. Wack Chemie in Germany who also make a good deal of other product labels.

Nattys as well as many others: Chemical Guys makes them.

Souveran has more oils to flow better, easy on/off. Great for dark colors!

P21S or S100 (same stuff, just cheaper as S100 at motorcycle shops) make silver really POP! Anyone that has a silver metallic paint, and use wax, try the P21S or S100. You'll be very happy as they are very clear!

Deanski
Dr. SHine
Old 06-18-2006, 12:16 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Can't change/replace a backing pad? OK, what happens when it gets worn? Nothing worse than a backing pad that cannot hold onto the foam pad! One miss and kiss your finish goodbye! I've gone through many backing pads.

The PC is readly avalible, you can get numerous backing pads/plates and use the EDGE adapter. You can change the counterweight, and the noise will not bother the paint.

For casual users the Griots may be fine, but not being able to change a backing plate is a great concern!

Look into the EDGE adapter and pads. Very safe and no backing plate to worry about!

Deanski
You can get a NEW backing pad, but you can't change it to use 3rd party versions. Sorry for the confusion.

I should also point out that I was being facetious about the melt away comment. If you search autopia's forums you'll see that someone posted a comment that the foam gun melted away the dirt from there car.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Difference:

P21S made by Dr. O.K. Wack Chemie in Germany who also make a good deal of other product labels.

Nattys as well as many others: Chemical Guys makes them.

Souveran has more oils to flow better, easy on/off. Great for dark colors!

P21S or S100 (same stuff, just cheaper as S100 at motorcycle shops) make silver really POP! Anyone that has a silver metallic paint, and use wax, try the P21S or S100. You'll be very happy as they are very clear!

Deanski
Dr. SHine
Agreed about the P21s. It did wonders on the wife's Lexus (see attached).
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

You know, I use the P21s and it doesn't have very good longevity. Smells good, goes on easy, wipes off easy, but just doesn't cut it in the longevity stage. Also, I tested side by side to Zainos and it lost hands-down on shine, water repelling qualities and texture (ability to repell elements from sticking to the surface). RONMART, I got my Foam Gun and love the thing. I washed early in the moring so the soap doesn't dry on the car, but it was a huge boost in the soap dept. Not to mention I use it to wash other things like windows and outdoor furniture. My thoughts...
Old 06-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Zaino vs P21S

Yes P21S is your standard wax. Zaino being a sealant will always win for longevity and high gloss. Wax gives a more warmer deeper look. But unless you put at least two coats of wax on, it doesn't last very long. Upkeep with a QD helps. Sealants will always last.

The new Z5-Pro and Z8 is killer combo! Topped with Z2-Pro just adds more gloss and easier to remove contaminants.

I too love foam guns! Why do you think your normal car wash uses foam? It helps loosen the dirt so a strong stream of rinse water will "blast" it off. Most soap used for foam have high lubricants in them and surface products to help with removal of dirt w/o touching. Some car washes have resorted to a combo of foam and sheepskin mitt wash in our area (Splash).

P21S is by far THE best wax for silver. It really makes metallic silver POP!

Regards,
Deanski
Dr. Shine
Old 06-18-2006, 09:36 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Yes P21S is your standard wax. Zaino being a sealant will always win for longevity and high gloss. Wax gives a more warmer deeper look. But unless you put at least two coats of wax on, it doesn't last very long. Upkeep with a QD helps. Sealants will always last.

The new Z5-Pro and Z8 is killer combo! Topped with Z2-Pro just adds more gloss and easier to remove contaminants.

I too love foam guns! Why do you think your normal car wash uses foam? It helps loosen the dirt so a strong stream of rinse water will "blast" it off. Most soap used for foam have high lubricants in them and surface products to help with removal of dirt w/o touching. Some car washes have resorted to a combo of foam and sheepskin mitt wash in our area (Splash).

P21S is by far THE best wax for silver. It really makes metallic silver POP!

Regards,
Deanski
Dr. Shine
I'm gonna probably break down and get some Zaino. How does Z-5 Pro compare to 3M Imperial Hand Glaze?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Ron...there is no question ...once you go Zaino there is no going back...seriously if you are not a convert after your first full detail then I'll eat my hat (or something like that). I was a P21S advocate before Zaino (still like it, but no comparison for lasting). BTW 3M is not even in the same ball park!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

3M IHG as well as other 3M glazes will outperform most anything called "glaze" as they have a specific formula of oils and ultra-fine clay that fills.

Z5-Pro takes several coats to hide minor and I do mean minor marring. Zaino works best when finishes are perfect. To be fair, MOST sealants need a near perfect finish or they can highlight marring due to the reflective nature of the sealant. Waxes dull the marring as well as the oils used in waxes fill anyway. Sealants normally do not. However, Z5-Pro DOES now hide better.

You cannot use oily glazes under Zaino. Finish has to be free of all oils and waxes. It takes 3 coats for best results and it works with a catalyst called ZFX.

Once the finish is perfect or close to it, wash the finish with a high alkaline detergent (dishwashing liquid) to strip all wax/oils off. Mix up one ounce of Z5-Pro and ZFX. Zaino has to go on SUPER THIN! Spray the finish with Z6 spray (better yet Z8 for better effect) as any QD, dry and then mist your applicator pad. Spread VERY VERY THIN! Let it haze/setup/cross-link for 30 minutes or more, then remove your first coat. Re-spray the finish with Z6 or Z8 like any QD and wipe off. Apply next coat and repeat until three are on. Maintain with Z8.

Next day, if you're happy, switch to Z2-Pro which has very clear optical properties. DO the same thing as Z5-Pro (spray between coats).

Your finish will be very slick, bead like crazy, last a long time and be very very glossy. It DOES turn heads it's that good looking to many people.

Z8 is really a very high gloss QD spray perfectly matched for Zaino. It's my new crack lately.

If you're in doubt or have further questions, you can contact Sal Zaino himself and yes he can answer anything you need to know. He's very knowledgeable in the trade and has always given good advise.

Enjoy your detailing!

Regards,
Deanski
Dr. Shine
Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Deanski. I just Zaino my car this weekend and I have a couple questions for you. Do you use the z6 before any Z5? Do you spray the z6 on the car or a pad? I spray it on the car and wipe off. when you say mist the applicator pad with Z6, are you meaning the pad that you are using to put the Z5 on with? I was have a little trouble with the pad be to dry at first. I do have to say that this is the first time I used a Zaino and was very pleased with the results. I put 1 coat of z5 and 2 of z2 with the z6 in between and after. How many coats did you do on your P-car?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:02 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

3M IHG as well as other 3M glazes will outperform most anything called "glaze" as they have a specific formula of oils and ultra-fine clay that fills.

Z5-Pro takes several coats to hide minor and I do mean minor marring. Zaino works best when finishes are perfect. To be fair, MOST sealants need a near perfect finish or they can highlight marring due to the reflective nature of the sealant. Waxes dull the marring as well as the oils used in waxes fill anyway. Sealants normally do not. However, Z5-Pro DOES now hide better.

You cannot use oily glazes under Zaino. Finish has to be free of all oils and waxes. It takes 3 coats for best results and it works with a catalyst called ZFX.

Once the finish is perfect or close to it, wash the finish with a high alkaline detergent (dishwashing liquid) to strip all wax/oils off. Mix up one ounce of Z5-Pro and ZFX. Zaino has to go on SUPER THIN! Spray the finish with Z6 spray (better yet Z8 for better effect) as any QD, dry and then mist your applicator pad. Spread VERY VERY THIN! Let it haze/setup/cross-link for 30 minutes or more, then remove your first coat. Re-spray the finish with Z6 or Z8 like any QD and wipe off. Apply next coat and repeat until three are on. Maintain with Z8.

Next day, if you're happy, switch to Z2-Pro which has very clear optical properties. DO the same thing as Z5-Pro (spray between coats).

Your finish will be very slick, bead like crazy, last a long time and be very very glossy. It DOES turn heads it's that good looking to many people.

Z8 is really a very high gloss QD spray perfectly matched for Zaino. It's my new crack lately.

If you're in doubt or have further questions, you can contact Sal Zaino himself and yes he can answer anything you need to know. He's very knowledgeable in the trade and has always given good advise.

Enjoy your detailing!

Regards,
Deanski
Dr. Shine
If Z5-Pro is a sealant, then why would I use it over the Klasse twins / P21s combo which have been awesome on the vehicles I've used them on? Beads simply can't get any smaller and after two weeks of being daily driven in the rain the vehicles look nearly clean because nothing seems to stick (except in the back of the SUV).

I'm always willing to try to try something new, but only if I can be sure there's a clear advantage. I'm pretty freakin happy with the Klasse twins when it comes to sealants.

With that said, what Zanio products would you recommend I order and why?

Quick Reply: Top Detailing Products for your 997