Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:38 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rjmaclean had this problem with the Sirius install. Now you have it with the XM install. Not good. I don't know if rjmaclean ever had his resolved. I will PM him.

I am trying to analyze possible links. You say you ordered your part for your car WITHOUT the CD changer. I don't know if Avenchia ordered his part for his car with or without the CD charger, but his works. Don't know if rjmaclean ordered for his car with or without the CD changer either. Hopefulkly they will chime in.

Maybe it has to do with the CD changer parts package v. the non-CD changer parts package. I PM'd rjmaclean and avenchia. I will post here once I determine any logical links.

I'll say this: I am nervous now. I am still awaiting parts but it appears there is definitely an issue and it is not specific to XM or Sirus. I am thinking its the CD changer v. non-CD changer. What else can it be if his still works? PCM software version? Rjma had the latest - 2.1B.

hmmmmmmmm.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:09 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks very much. I will make sure that I have the 2.1B PCM software
I will call XM, and verify the SID and find a way to get someone to verify it off the antenna side from XM as well.
It really is frustrating. I also ordered the package for the PCM without the CD changer. On the positive side the cable I ordered did allow me to tie in the Navigation module seamlessly. It works fine and my one lousy channel comes in ..........can you believe it ....the one channel on XM that has music from the forties........all originally recorded in Mono........I can't even enjoy my Bose Surround ........it sounds like a really clear AM reception......just to add a little salt to my wounds......
Old 02-14-2006, 12:15 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

I know you have no cd changer. question is whether the other guys with the problem also had no cd changer. In other words.... maybe that cable you ordered is the problem, and maybe rjmaclean has the same problem with that same cable IF he has no cd changer.

I have the cd changer and the cable I need comes with the parts kit. I will let you know what happens. I dont know what avenchia has, i.e., if he has the cd changer and still has no problem, we are onto something.

Are you following me here? We cant complete this puzzle if rjmaclean and avenchia don't chime in.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:47 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

I heard back from avenchia. He DOES have the CD changer. So far my theory is on track. I hope rjmaclean chimes in. If he does not have the CD changer, the theory remains intact.

In other words lockie, its that funky cable causing your problem. I dont know what to tell you. If you are hell bent on the install and all else fails, rip it all out and start from scratch; install the cd changer using the regular authorized parts kit for the 997, and then install the Cayenne SAT kit using the entire parts kit made for the CD changer. Supposedly that kit has all necessary cables.

You are mixing parts and having problems. This may not be what you want to hear, but I am applying logic to solve the problem and it all fits so far until the theory is blown.

btw... my parts kit supposedly comes in today. I also have the CD changer and I ordered the SAT kit specifically for the CD changer. It may be late next week before I can tackle the project, however.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable

I agree that all connections to and from the PCM head have to be verified that they are the correct cables/adapter etc.

Is this cable the fiber cable? As with any fiber cables, they cannot be bent beyond their threshold or it breaks. It has to be treated very carefully.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-14-2006, 10:02 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

lockie, also, make sure your dealer hooks up PIWIS and assures MOST actual and MOST required are identical in their settings. I thought of this on my way to work as another possible solution. Keep us updated.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:19 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I will go see my dealer this morning with hard copies of the last few threads.......I think they are probably a little tired of me at this point.....I will get them to have a look into the obvious and easy checks and then next look into the install with the cd changer........I't might be cheaper and easier to trade it in on a 07 997 with the factory option .....just kidding.....thanks again.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 PM
BOUCS5
Track Day

lockie what dealer did you have it installed at?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:52 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BOUCS5
lockie what dealer did you have it installed at?
I had it installed at the Porsche Dealer in Victoria B.C.
Is there a difference.?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:00 PM
BOUCS5
Track Day

no, im trying to find directions for my dealer so they can install it, just wanted to know if I could get some from them. or if they call them they will help them out
Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Maybe found the Problem......The Porsche Dealer believes that I have the 2.1A PCM Software.
They are ordering the 2.1B software update.......They think that this will allow the PCM to recognize all the receiver channels......hopefully it is something as simple as this........I don't want to get into a full reinstall of a CD changer and new connections etc. Unfortunately I can't return these existing parts and they advised there was no guarantee on the system working as it wasn't a option available by Porsche for the 997. Having said that though the dealer has been very supportive and are really going the distance to get this to work.....Once I get the 2.1 B soft ware I will provide a update....
One really has to be patient........I keep reminding myself of that.....
Old 02-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Software

Good catch on the software version. SInce they got the later version and all that is required is a firmware/software update that would make sense.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-14-2006, 06:51 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Well lockie, sorry to bum you out, but rjmaclean (the other guy with your problem) has PCM 2.1B. So that "aint it".

Now, I did hear from rjmaclean. Guess what? HE HAS NO CD CHANGER EITHER. You know what this means, right? It means that of the 3 people I know of that tried the install, both people that had it fail (and you are one of them) had no CD changer. The one person where it works perfectly had the CD changer already installed.

My parts came in today. I have the CD changer. I will not get to the install until next weekend (not this weekend - the weekend after).

My guess is that your guy ordered the part for cars WITH the CD changer, realized it was the wrong parts kit, and then simply ordered a new MOST cable. I am willing to BET you that its not just the cable - that its the cable AND some embedded firmware in the SAT control unit. There is likely a DEFINITE difference between the kits for cars with the CD changer and without the CD changer and its not just the cable.

So, either way, I think you are looking at the following scenerio, and either way you are ripping out all SAT involved parts:

1. Rip out all SAT involved parts and that new cable too. Then, order the parts kit for cars WITHOUT the CD changer.

2. Get a CD changer installed, and then order the SAT kit for cars WITH a CD changer.

Now, I again will say this: I AM NO EXPERT. But my logic seems, well, logical. Of course, I may get the same problem and I do have the CD changer and I ordered the parts for the CD changer. SO, that would blow my theory.

Adam

p.s. Did your dealer use PIWIS to check the settings per my suggestion?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:38 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Well that is interesting......I think before I go to that length I will wait and see how you do.....I am still going to update the PCM software.....just curious how come you have to wait so long for your install......I'm dying to see if yours is successful!!!!!. I really hope it is........
ps ...know anybody who drives a Cayenne without a CD changer that loves music.......
Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Ahh I see... Now the kits were mostly for vehicles with CD changers. If this is correct, then why did someone order a "kit" for a vehicle that has no changer? Did the dealer get the correct part numbers?

Anyway, fingerpointing aside, I do hope that you all can find the resolution to this mess.

It's just a damn shame that Porsche has yet to approve "kits" to retro-fit 997's with satellite equipment.

Deanski

Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!