Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Final installation of components:

Last edited by 1080iAddict; 01-07-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:20 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Closing Thoughts:

I did not include screen shots of the PCM display since most of the followers of this thread saw these before. If you want more, tell me and I'll snap some pix. The name of the radio station also shows up in the instrument cluster near the digital speedo! The name of the song and artist does not show up on the instrument cluster (but that does show up on the PCM screen if you hit the INFO button and select RADIOTEXT).

When I called Sirius to register, I read them the RADIO ID and they said "ahh, you have a Porsche" !!! And, they said I get 3 months free for a new car installation!!!!!!!! I bought a 2 year subscription anyway.

So there you have it. I will open the forum to questions.

Remember, if you live near baltimore and you want this installed, PM me and I will give you the name of my tech. He is NOT advertising for business. I told him I have a BUNCH of friends on the Board that will want this and he agreed to do more installs. If I get alot of PMs for his name and he does the installs, after a few I will tell him to register as a Sponser of the site to make sure its all kosher.

I must tell you..... it is WAY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Adam
Old 02-25-2006, 08:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, congrats Adam!

You should have put this in a new thread, but that's okay, this works as well.

I'm so happy for you. You were determined and you succeeded! .. Kudos

One question: Why didn't the tech shorten that loop of cable? Seems like you'd have more losses with a longer cable?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Red Blur
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you show some pics of the screen? Thanks,
Old 02-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Well, those PEOPLE are the dorkiest of the dorks, which is REALLY dorky!
go to hell
Old 02-25-2006, 10:29 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

AWESOME! MORE PICS PLEASE! How do you switch between FM and SAT or CD and SAT?? Can you elaborate? Do you think this would work in a Cayman with PCM? My girlfriend is getting a cayman next week!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
One question: Why didn't the tech shorten that loop of cable?
I doubt he would have the necessary RF termination/connector tools to accomplish this; they are not PAG/PCNA supplied parts.

Seems like you'd have more losses with a longer cable?
No, not really.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ltc
I doubt he would have the necessary RF termination/connector tools to accomplish this; they are not PAG/PCNA supplied parts.
Too bad. A shop like the one in La Jolla would have the proper tools for terminating and making a cleaner install.

Originally Posted by ltc
No, not really.
Yes, really.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, no....from the movie Zoolander , I hope this isn't the part where Ben and ltc re-enact the Ben Stiller-Owen Wilson runway challenge

...Too bad. A shop like the one in La Jolla would have the proper tools for terminating and making a cleaner install.
Looks like the position of that cable is accessible enough to allow him to replace it with a shorter segment if there is any degradation due to cable length? Thx for pics Adam.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by stan523
Looks like the position of that cable is accessible enough to allow him to replace it with a shorter segment if there is any degradation due to cable length?
Yeah, this can be done after the fact.

Sorry, didn't see that movie. But what gets me is that instead of complimenting Adam on the excellent job he had done, this guy with the goofy avatar starts jumping on something I said, like he was trying to prove something. Very selfish of him to do this and detract from the excellent job Adam did here.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, really.
Ben,
I find it rather humorous that you would want to argue with someone who actually designed some of the system/components that were discussed/shown in this thread.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

But what gets me is that instead of complimenting Adam on the excellent job he had done, this guy with the goofy avatar starts jumping on something I said, like he was trying to prove something.
Very selfish of him to do this and detract from the excellent job Adam did here.
I was merely trying to respond to your comment in a technical manner.

BTW, I already congratulated Adam via PM earlier and had discussed some details earlier on in this process via PM.

Glad you like the avatar.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:45 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ltc
Ben,
I find it rather humorous that you would want to argue with someone who actually designed some of the system/components that were discussed/shown in this thread.
I'm not arguing with you. And I wasn't addressing you or the forum at large when I posted my question to Adam. For you to butt in like some know-it-all was rather rude, don't you think?

And what part did you design, the tie-wraps? If you were an electrical/electronic engineer you'd know that the longer a conductor is the greater the resistance through which a signal or current flows. And while the difference might not be significant in terms of signal loss in Adam's installation, the fact of the matter remains that for an optimum installation a good designer would minimize the length of conductors to maximize performance, if only on principle alone.

For you to try to rebut what I said when I wasn't even addressing you was uncalled for, since I wasn't trying to steer him or anyone wrong with my question that would have required immediate intervention on your part.
Originally Posted by ltc
BTW, I already congratulated Adam via PM earlier and had discussed some details earlier on in this process via PM.
Well, we didn't know that. As it was, it appeared very disrespectful that the first words from you after his presentation was to criticize something in my question to him.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:30 AM
rjmaclean
Track Day

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
AWESOME! MORE PICS PLEASE! How do you switch between FM and SAT or CD and SAT?? Can you elaborate? Do you think this would work in a Cayman with PCM? My girlfriend is getting a cayman next week!
AM/FM button.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:07 AM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

1080i,

Thanks for your detailed post. Can you tell me if your car needed to be hooked up to a Porsche System Tester to program your PCM to recognize the Sat radio after the installation?

Thanks.

Terrence

Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!