Sponsored by:

Will Porsche Dealerships give out service records

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 04:34 PM
Echo Deuce
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Will Porsche Dealerships give out service records

Looking at 997.2 2009 Carrera w/ PDK and trying to do everything I can to set my mind at ease. It has 87K miles, but everything looks in order. I will be setting up a PPI at a local Indy shop today for later next week. It’s currently owned by the 3rd owner and located in CA all its life. The Carfax shows that 90% of the services were done at a Porsche Dealership in CA.

My question is would they provide all the records if I provide the vin#? Does the current owner need to do it? I wouldn’t mind paying a fee to them for their time and effort.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:44 PM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 145 Posts

Depends on the location and the SA you are dealing with it seems. When I bought my car they wouldn't/couldn't give me the history, but they also didn't take the binder of receipts out of the car.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:46 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

There are no legal obligations for either OEM or prior owner to supply any service information, but you could always call or go to the dealership, as there are also no legal restrictions on provision, as long as all personally identifiable information is removed from any service records. This is totally at dealer discretion.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Echo Deuce
Looking at 997.2 2009 Carrera w/ PDK and trying to do everything I can to set my mind at ease. It has 87K miles, but everything looks in order. I will be setting up a PPI at a local Indy shop today for later next week. It’s currently owned by the 3rd owner and located in CA all its life. The Carfax shows that 90% of the services were done at a Porsche Dealership in CA.

My question is would they provide all the records if I provide the vin#? Does the current owner need to do it? I wouldn’t mind paying a fee to them for their time and effort.
Owner of car who paid for services is the only person who can have the dealer release service records.
Privacy laws were established years ago.

Old 06-13-2024, 05:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
There are no legal obligations for either OEM or prior owner to supply any service information, but you could always call or go to the dealership, as there are also no legal restrictions on provision, as long as all personally identifiable information is removed from any service records. This is totally at dealer discretion.
Yea, call the dealership... at a minimum, they should give you a thumbs up or signal trouble. If close, I would go there... in person is by far the better way to do it. Bring the VIN.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,599 Likes on 4,196 Posts

They won't print anything out to give to you, but may bring them up while your standing there and tell you what all has been done to the car.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:50 AM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, I visited the dealer when interested in a private sale car and my SA told me everything that had been done, but in a whisper. So yes, there are privacy laws, but that's no reason to not share non-private information like a repair or service history.
The following users liked this post:
myltz400 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 11:48 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

I bought my GTS in 2016 from a PP in Boston, MA.
It was initially an executive lease to a dealer exec prior to the seller buying it CPO in 2014.
I took it to that original lessor/seller, Herb Chambers Porsche, for a PPI and pre trans-continental road trip oil change.
The seller had followed to give me a ride back to my hotel.
The dealer SA printed every service invoice for me after the PP seller (whom was a prolific customer there) gave them the OK.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 06-14-2024 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 02:11 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,339 Likes on 495 Posts

I have been given service history but with customer information redacted. Depends on the SA to be honest and how Friendly/Lazy they are.
CAVU (06-15-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 11:23 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

In my particular case, I made a request for masked maintenance records via email to the Porsche dealership service manager. I included proof of purchase (registration/insurance). He sent me a PDF with 8 years worth of services. All of the previous owner's information, including the amount paid for each service, was masked. I don't think they'll give it to you before you own the car.
Old 06-15-2024, 04:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

I save receipts for everything done to my car including new windshield wipers. I have a file probably 2" thick after more than 4 years of ownership. Knowing that the maint. history is important to most buyers and also knowing that some dealerships can be difficult in providing the history of the pre-owned cars they're selling, can I sign some kind of disclaimer allowing the dealership to provide prospective buyers with my 2" thick maint. records if I were to trade my car at a dealership? Or if the dealership won't have anything to do with it, allowing them to contact me directly for the history of the car including all receipts. Just as a courtesy to prospective buyers of my car.

Seems to me that selling a car with a complete file of all work done to it should benefit the dealership. Instead they seem to act as if it will detract from the sale. I don't get it.
vg247 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 03:10 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I save receipts for everything done to my car including new windshield wipers. I have a file probably 2" thick after more than 4 years of ownership. Knowing that the maint. history is important to most buyers and also knowing that some dealerships can be difficult in providing the history of the pre-owned cars they're selling, can I sign some kind of disclaimer allowing the dealership to provide prospective buyers with my 2" thick maint. records if I were to trade my car at a dealership? Or if the dealership won't have anything to do with it, allowing them to contact me directly for the history of the car including all receipts. Just as a courtesy to prospective buyers of my car.

Seems to me that selling a car with a complete file of all work done to it should benefit the dealership. Instead they seem to act as if it will detract from the sale. I don't get it.
Since 9/11 Privacy laws prohibit Dealerships from giving out previous owners service records. Dealerships can get sued for not following the law. Stupid law yes.
Old 06-16-2024, 05:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Since 9/11 Privacy laws prohibit Dealerships from giving out previous owners service records. Dealerships can get sued for not following the law. Stupid law yes.
Yes, I've heard about that and it is stupid. Especially if the owner of the pre owned car is willing to sign a disclaimer allowing the dealership to share the history of the car which would clear the dealership of any misrepresentation unless of course they did misrepresent the previous history of the car to begin with.. Not exactly unheard of.
Old 06-16-2024, 07:44 AM
997Fanatic997
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Link or reference to this law please?
Old 06-16-2024, 11:24 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 383 Likes on 248 Posts

I had mine from my first 911. Just asked them to remove the top of the receipt with prior owners name. Wasn’t a big deal.

Quick Reply: Will Porsche Dealerships give out service records