Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 06:03 PM
Boggus
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe, print a housing that would snap into the defroster vent for the light sensor and eliminate the double stick. Not sure if it's possible but would further make this super easy!

Last edited by Boggus; 01-05-2024 at 06:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 06:25 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 341 Posts

Great idea for 3D printing! I always forgot that technology exists and how useful it can be.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:02 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
There is a wart option on the website. Looks like actual temperature gauges for coolant and maybe oil (?) instead of the dummy coolant gauge we have.
Yep. That makes sense to me!!!
Old 01-05-2024, 08:02 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 418 Posts

There is a wart option on the website. Looks like actual temperature gauges for coolant and maybe oil (?) instead of the dummy coolant gauge we have.
I saw that. But I'd prefer enhanced OEM functionality over a swap in unit. While the data is cool it doesn't really fit into the 997 interior well in my opinion. Potentially it just need more UX/UI Design to make it look more consistent .
But just a simple functional clock using the hands and LED screen in the OEM unit would be super cool and more OEM+.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:15 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliotw44
I saw that. But I'd prefer enhanced OEM functionality over a swap in unit. While the data is cool it doesn't really fit into the 997 interior well in my opinion. Potentially it just need more UX/UI Design to make it look more consistent .
But just a simple functional clock using the hands and LED screen in the OEM unit would be super cool and more OEM+.
Has anyone investigated whether the 991 wart is plug and play in the 997?
Old 01-05-2024, 10:03 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,695 Likes on 645 Posts

I'd love an option for the sport chrono(wart) that it just tells time and is illuminated during vehicle operation.
How about this as a totally plug-and-play option... no taps, no extra wires?
Just remove useless SC and plug in new clock to existing connector, for both time and illumination?

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Thank You. I always knew that the Japanese are efficient, but hats off to their postal service. The package took less than a week door to door!
A west coast departure likely helped too...

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Aaaaaaaand I'm happy to announce that my eCommerce site is finally up&running
https://www.997research.com/
It has product descriptions, FAQs, manuals, shows "work in progress", and of course has an order page.
The site is brand new, any feedback is appreciated.
Excellent, and watching with interest...

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-05-2024 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:46 AM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
How about this as a totally plug-and-play option... no taps, no extra wires?
Just remove useless SC and plug in new clock to existing connector, for both time and illumination?

A west coast departure likely helped too...

Excellent, and watching with interest...
This looks better. But in my opinion, the OEM Chrono looks significantly nicer. Comparing them side by side, one looks for a Porsche, the other for a VW. I just wish OEM had some functionality during normal operation. Ideally, The small hand for hours and the large hand for minutes with the current time digitally on the LED display and the whole unit lit up.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:10 AM
funnelofdoom
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

This looks better. But in my opinion, the OEM Chrono looks significantly nicer. Comparing them side by side, one looks for a Porsche, the other for a VW. I just wish OEM had some functionality during normal operation. Ideally, The small hand for hours and the large hand for minutes with the current time digitally on the LED display and the whole unit lit up.
that VDO gauge is classic German. I remember seeing those in my dad’s W126 S class (back when they built cars without any compromises). But you’re right that it doesn’t match the 997 aesthetic. It would probably fit well in a 996 though.
Elliotw44 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 01:40 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by nicogri
Great news !

Site is Nice and clean

Do you plan to implement other payment method like PayPal in the near future ?

Thanks

​​
First of all: Thank You!
Honestly I am not a huge fan of PayPal. Unless there's tons of demand for it i'd rather stay away from it.

Last edited by Hatzenbach; 01-06-2024 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Congrats!! Any other outstanding products in the pipeline?
Yeah, I have a couple ideas...
Obviously the SportChrono replacement is next
But also: at the moment I have my hands way more full than I thought I would have, with:
a) creating more product - there's way more demand than i expected (a very good problem to have)
b) figuring out all the fine details of starting an online business (more gotcha's than I thought)

and all further development currently has to take a backseat to it.
And I started the whole thing just as a distraction during retirement. Currently it feels more like a full time job (I'm not complaining). But as soon as there's enough snow in Tahoe, my snowboard will be calling me....

Last edited by Hatzenbach; 01-06-2024 at 01:59 AM.
TerrestrialFlyte (01-13-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 01:46 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boggus
Maybe, print a housing that would snap into the defroster vent for the light sensor and eliminate the double stick. Not sure if it's possible but would further make this super easy!
Great idea! the next batch of product will have 3D printed sensor housings (with much better sticky tape).
But let me see if I can make it snap in
Old 01-06-2024, 01:55 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

I need to quickly add a comment about my SportChrono replacement that I have as "mock product" on the site:
The pictures I took of the display are from close up range. The display I'm using has a relatively high resolution and in real life from the driver's or passenger's seat it looks much better.
It's about the same effect as if you stand 1 inch away from your TV screen and you can see the individual pixels,
I will add a few pictures taken from further away
Old 01-06-2024, 02:38 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

If needing product ideas that are similar to the headlight relay I have a couple. Granted I am not electrical/software handy but they seem very similar.

1. Auto close for the sunroof. I hate I have to hold the button.

2. Always on PSE. Someone makes them but very limited.

Sure there are a couple I could think of. Happy to be a mule if needed. Also if you do make a 3d printed holder for the light switch for the 997 let me know and gladly pay for one.
TerrestrialFlyte (01-13-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 02:44 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,695 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by funnelofdoom
that VDO gauge is classic German. I remember seeing those in my dad’s W126 S class (back when they built cars without any compromises). But you’re right that it doesn’t match the 997 aesthetic. It would probably fit well in a 996 though.
Agreed both!
The Sport Chrono's stop watch is very nice to look at, and the little show it does with its hands is very pretty too.
But, it's useless to me for daily driving.
The VDO is indeed classic German as I've looked at such just like it for years; my Karmann Ghia, 356, and 911S all had similar.

Following @Hatzenbach 's lead though, I've remounted it - with the clock presented from the rear of the gauge carrier, not the front as I first did.
Instead, you tighten up the ferrule before mounting.
I added a single wrap of Tesa tape and the 1.5mm hex head grub screws tighten up on the ferrule perfectly snug.

VDO make white-faced clocks too of course, and they would further fit with the 9X7 look...

I also installed the auto-lights module, and pleased to say the installation is a snap!
Literally, with the OEM connectors.

I installed the light sensor as suggested in the vent slot, and for now the supplied double-sided tape appears to be working fine.
The small cable for the sensor routes nicely under the rear edge of the vent trim piece, and drops down at the far end through a perfectly sized hole to plug into the control module socket.

The module works perfectly as advertised too...

Hatzenbach (01-06-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 05:41 AM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for making cool products to improve our 997s. I will be purchasing both the auto headlight module and the Sports Chrono display.
Hatzenbach (01-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2