Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 10:23 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 341 Posts

I thought the same thing, but I held it in place on the Boxster for a little bit and it held. So I wrap a roll of tape in a rag and wedged it between the sensor and the windshield and will check it tomorrow. If that doesn’t work I’ll figure something out. That’s a simple problem.
The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 12:59 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
I gotta believe that the male/female counterparts exist from some manufacturer. I did not look closely at the plug on the end of the harness that connects into the switch, but a male/female pair ought to be available and allow you to avoid the CAD modeling/3D printing.
Yeah, they're almost certainly standard connectors. If you can figure out the manufacturer I've had good luck ordering connectors from places like Digikey or Mouser.

That said, the existing design isn't foolproof but works well enough. Getting the connector seated in the switch was a bit tricky but I figured it out after a few minutes. Apparently I also needed to pay better attention to the orientation: getting that right shouldn't be that hard, but I still managed to get the one to the harness wrong the first time, even after really staring at the pictures...sigh.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:27 PM
valvestud
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Installed and working as advertised. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by valvestud:
Hatzenbach (11-05-2023), Wepeachy (11-20-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 06:41 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like there were a few small bumps in the road but no major issues.
And it's now confirmed that the device also works on 987.2 (and that means that I am now 100% sure that it will work on 987.1 as well)

#1 I would be glad to hear any suggestions if/how the manual could be improved to
- avoid any confusion with the connectors
- make the install easier

#2 about the connectors
I will be retiring by the end of this month and should have lots of time on my hands to learn 3D printing, and I believe that 3D printing is the way to go. I'll just print some guides and glue them to the connectors

#3 about the (not so sticky) 3M tape. That's - unfortunately - the way I get it from my supplier. The light sensor by the way is the part which has the long lead time. That means that I am also planning to 3D print the light sensor housing which should avoid any future delays.

Any more feedback is more than welcomed.
You can either post it here or e-mail me directly czulrich@gmail.com
Old 11-06-2023, 07:13 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

So just to confirm, the new one will get rid of the “lights on” ding when shutting off the car?

Thats one of the mildly annoying things on your V1.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:36 PM
leeked
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd recommend talking to someone like Waytek or FindPigtails to locate the proper connectors. 3D printing is good for lots of things, but you'd be better off finding the proper connectors to use than trying to reverse engineer a pre-existing plug.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:43 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
So just to confirm, the new one will get rid of the “lights on” ding when shutting off the car?

Since you leave your lights in the “Home” position, you won’t get the ding. If you manually turn them to the “On” position you would still get it.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:20 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leeked
I'd recommend talking to someone like Waytek or FindPigtails to locate the proper connectors. 3D printing is good for lots of things, but you'd be better off finding the proper connectors to use than trying to reverse engineer a pre-existing plug.
Agreed. A filament printer isn't going to have the resolution required for those connectors. Maybe a resin printer could do it, but I'd be worried about the plastic type and long-term durability. Those should all be standard connectors, I'm sure you can just buy them.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:31 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
Since you leave your lights in the “Home” position, you won’t get the ding. If you manually turn them to the “On” position you would still get it.
Originally Posted by ATX_Native
Yes, no more "you left the lights on" ding. As I said, I redesigned V2 from the ground up and was able to eliminate the annoying ding.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:55 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

So I did find one potential glitch, at least on the 987.2. With the headlights in auto mode (home position) the dash and center console lights all light up *except* for the buttons on the PCM 3 system. If I turn the **** to parking lights or on the PCM lights up properly. Anyone else seeing the same?
TerrestrialFlyte (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 10:13 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
So I did find one potential glitch, at least on the 987.2. With the headlights in auto mode (home position) the dash and center console lights all light up *except* for the buttons on the PCM 3 system. If I turn the **** to parking lights or on the PCM lights up properly. Anyone else seeing the same?
Now that you mention it, the wife and I were out on Saturday and I couldn’t find the map button because it wasn’t illuminated. The car is fairly new to us, so I wasn’t sure if that was normal or not. But I just checked and you are correct.

Edit: I bought my 997.1 without the stock PCM so I’m not sure what should happen there or did I even bother to check that. I just checked the functionality of the headlights.

Last edited by TerrestrialFlyte; 11-07-2023 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:12 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Do your side markers turn on with the auto headlights?
Old 11-08-2023, 02:18 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

The yellow side light in front of the front wheel? Yessir.

Everything seems to work fine except for the lighting of the PCM 3.0 unit. I do have a Mr12Volt CarPlay piggyback unit installed, but if TerrestrialFlyte is having the same issue on his 987.2 that's probably not a factor.
TerrestrialFlyte (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 04:39 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Yes, no more "you left the lights on" ding. As I said, I redesigned V2 from the ground up and was able to eliminate the annoying ding.

Is there anyway the annoying ding can be ruled out on V1-it is certainly irritating??
Old 11-08-2023, 10:51 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
Now that you mention it, the wife and I were out on Saturday and I couldn’t find the map button because it wasn’t illuminated. The car is fairly new to us, so I wasn’t sure if that was normal or not. But I just checked and you are correct.

Edit: I bought my 997.1 without the stock PCM so I’m not sure what should happen there or did I even bother to check that. I just checked the functionality of the headlights.
Yes, I just checked in my car and it does the same. No idea how I didn't notice that
Should (hopefully) be a simple fix. I'll keep you updated.

Quick Reply: Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2