Sponsored by:

Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 09:30 PM
iamuwere
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So simple and so effective.

Thanks for the very quick shipping and prompt support.
The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 12:26 AM
Boggus
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Installed mine today, went smoothly, hardest part was running the sensor wire to be hidden in the defroster vent.
Hatzenbach (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 03:19 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts

Just a quick update: I was able to source the Porsche OEM connectors, which makes the installation now literally a snap (or plug&play)
Here's a link to the updated instructions.
I am also working on getting a dedicated web-site up&running. Should be done by the end of this week.
That should make ordering a bit easier. Stay tuned.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
Boggus (01-02-2024), MrMoose (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 05:29 PM
Wepeachy
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow with those connectors this is absolutely fool proof! This is still by far the best mod I've done to my 997.2 just makes one less thing to worry about, and so simple it plug and play
Hatzenbach (01-02-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:08 PM
funnelofdoom
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckben
Am I correct in assuming that the unit will work on a 996.1?
Because the 996 has a purely mechanical switch that switches power directly to the headlights, it would be possible to do fairly easily if you're somewhat proficient in wiring up relays using a simple timer sun sensor circuit like I outlined in my $9 solution for automatic headlights (for 997). You'd simply need to check which pins are connected to which through the various switch positions. Then use the off position or side light position to power the circuit, though you might have to tap into a 12V line off the fuse box if it's ground switching. Taking a quick look at the schematic though it looks like it switches +12V (with a separate fusebox for the lighting circuit). You might need to get a secondary relay to shoot off the first relay to power multiple circuits, but maybe not depending on how things are switched. You would also probably want to wire in a simple on/off switch so you can turn off your lights if necessary (if you're taking over the OFF position or need to use the side lights alone).

OR

Simply buy a universal automatic headlight module. You wouldn't have to run wires to your lights since all the wiring is in the switch itself. It looks like you'd connect the dimmer control line (looks like an internal realy in the car to dim interior lights), the low beams, and the running lights. Modules typically control these things separately so you could even take over the parking light/side light position to use as the auto position. Most of these modules seem to also have a Park/parking brake input which triggers the headlights off in case you actually want to just use your sidelights. I'm talking about modules like this:
Amazon Link for Example Headlight Module Amazon Link for Example Headlight Module

Really actually much easier to do. I also made my own version of auto headlights for my 997 similar in concept to Hatzenbach's but one of those modules would be a much easier and foolproof solution. Toying with electronics can be buggy. Oh, and jduging by the harness used for the headlight switch, you'd either have to splice wires (not just tap) or make a custom harness of some type using barrel type connectors like this:
Amazon Link for example barrel connectors Amazon Link for example barrel connectors

EDIT:

You might evne actually be able to use one of those older VW auto headlight modules like this:
Amazon Link for Example Headlight Module (VW specific) Amazon Link for Example Headlight Module (VW specific)
. It probably has relays and a control circuit. You would just have to fit it in your car (hopefully not too big) and figure out the wiring from your car to the VW pinout. There's a good chance it would work since it looks like your car uses 12V switching, but again, I'm not 100% positive. Even then, it could still work since you're simply energizing relays.

Last edited by funnelofdoom; 01-04-2024 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:23 PM
Chuckben
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, funnelofdoom! I am going to look into this as I am an electrical engineer by training. My son and I just bought this 2000 996.1 C4 cab and we are both concerned that we will leave the lights on and run down the battery. BTW, I have just added a cable extension to the trunk manual pull wire release and located the end behind the right marker light.

Last edited by Chuckben; 01-05-2024 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:40 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,695 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Wepeachy
Wow with those connectors this is absolutely fool proof! This is still by far the best mod I've done to my 997.2 just makes one less thing to worry about, and so simple it plug and play
Indeed, sourcing and using the OEM-style connectors takes it up a notch.
Notably, as I tried to do similar for my Sport Chrono to regular clock mod, and must have spent weeks looking for the correct native plugs and sockets - unsuccessfully too I might add.

I've ordered the 987.2 version of this great idea, it arrived this morning (speedy!), and I will try and find the time to install this weekend.
In the meantime I can confirm our supplier here is great in comms and support.
Install pics and performance comment to follow...

Hatzenbach (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 09:21 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 341 Posts

Being an early adopter, I’m kind of jealous of the OEM connectors. I have mine secured with electrical tape, but it gets HOT here in central Texas and I’ve always wondered what that adhesive does under the dash inside a sealed up car on those 100°+ days. Either way, amazing product and service. Kudos to Hatzenbach.
The following 2 users liked this post by TerrestrialFlyte:
Boggus (01-05-2024), Hatzenbach (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:35 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Indeed, sourcing and using the OEM-style connectors takes it up a notch.
Notably, as I tried to do similar for my Sport Chrono to regular clock mod, and must have spent weeks looking for the correct native plugs and sockets - unsuccessfully too I might add.

I've ordered the 987.2 version of this great idea, it arrived this morning (speedy!), and I will try and find the time to install this weekend.
In the meantime I can confirm our supplier here is great in comms and support.
Thank You. I always knew that the Japanese are efficient, but hats off to their postal service. The package took less than a week door to door!
Old 01-05-2024, 03:56 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Aaaaaaaand I'm happy to announce that my eCommerce site is finally up&running
https://www.997research.com/
It has product descriptions, FAQs, manuals, shows "work in progress", and of course has an order page.
The site is brand new, any feedback is appreciated.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
apkarian100 (01-05-2024), Elliotw44 (01-05-2024), TerrestrialFlyte (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 04:23 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
It has product descriptions, FAQs, manuals, shows "work in progress", and of course has an order page.
Congrats!! Any other outstanding products in the pipeline?
Old 01-05-2024, 04:34 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
Congrats!! Any other outstanding products in the pipeline?
Like an option for the wart?!?!?!
Old 01-05-2024, 05:12 PM
nicogri
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Great news !

Site is Nice and clean

Do you plan to implement other payment method like PayPal in the near future ?

Thanks

​​
Old 01-05-2024, 05:30 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Like an option for the wart?!?!?!
I'd love an option for the sport chrono(wart) that it just tells time and is illuminated during vehicle operation.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:55 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

There is a wart option on the website. Looks like actual temperature gauges for coolant and maybe oil (?) instead of the dummy coolant gauge we have.

Quick Reply: Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2