Sponsored by:

Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 02:59 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by trassalpl
You can get it to be totally invisible. If I remember correctly, I did that by lifting the plastic panel that's on the right-hand side of your picture, closest to the windshield, and underneath it there's a hole through which you can route the cable, which you then grab from the side/below. It was quite cumbersome to route the thin cable through this tiny aperture because it was catching on something, I ended up tying it to a thin electrical cable. Hope this helps!
Thanks, yes - my bad - I will update the instructions over the weekend
Old 03-01-2024, 03:02 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benlavigne
Quick question, maybe already tested: Any problem with DRL operation in Canadian cars?
Thanks!
I am selling these devices literally all over the world, but not a single one to Canada
Can you help me understand how DRL works in Canada? Which lights are on while driving?
I'm assuming that only applies to 997.1, as the 997.2 has already DRL worldwide?
But in general it should not be a problem, all signals (wires) between the switch and the harness are passed through.

Last edited by Hatzenbach; 03-01-2024 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,480 Likes on 4,126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I am selling these devices literally all over the world, but not a single one to Canada
Can you help me understand how DRL works in Canada? Which lights are on while driving?
But in general it should not be a problem, all signals (wires) between the switch and the harness are passed through.
On a 997.1 in Canada, if the DRL feature is enabled, the normal headlights are on all the time. If the light switch is moved to parking lights or headlights, then the taillights and side markers (if coded as markers and not turn signals) also come on. Cars with Sport Chrono should be able to turn off the DRL option using the OEM PCM. If that has been removed, has to be done with PIWIS, Foxwell, or Durametric Pro.

On the 997.2 Porsche made the DRLs function in the bumper lights so the headlights are not on all the time, even in Canada, I don't believe.
The following users liked this post:
Benlavigne (03-02-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 05:05 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

OK, I just updated both versions of the installation manual with instructions for a completely "stealthy" routing of the sensor cable
for devices that shipped before 26-FEB-2024: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lb4...usp=drive_link
for devices that shipped on or after 26-FEB-2024: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hf9...usp=drive_link

smrpr (03-02-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 05:11 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
On a 997.1 in Canada, if the DRL feature is enabled, the normal headlights are on all the time. If the light switch is moved to parking lights or headlights, then the taillights and side markers (if coded as markers and not turn signals) also come on. Cars with Sport Chrono should be able to turn off the DRL option using the OEM PCM. If that has been removed, has to be done with PIWIS, Foxwell, or Durametric Pro.

On the 997.2 Porsche made the DRLs function in the bumper lights so the headlights are not on all the time, even in Canada, I don't believe.
Thank You. In this case I don't see why anyone in Canada would order it.
Benlavigne (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 12:45 PM
Benlavigne
AutoX

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Thank You. In this case I don't see why anyone in Canada would order it.
Great news! I'll put my order in today and report if there is any problem!

Ben
Hatzenbach (03-02-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 04:58 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 81 Posts

I did the install today and it was more difficult than I had anticipated! Not that the instructions weren't clear, but if you're going to attempt this, routing the cable will be quite the experience without the proper tools. @Hatzenbach I found it useful to remove the side panel near the door to be able to route the cable with both hands and help it exit through the right opening, and I didn't see that in the instructions. Feel free to use any of the photos I took if you want to update them.

Another thing worth mentioning is that upon installing it for the first time, the plastic piece I popped open didn't stay completely flush at the part closest to the A-pillar, and that was because the cable was in the way of one of the clips, so I had to reopen it, route it properly (a "hook" tool I had did the trick) and then close everything again. As I said, not difficult but you need to spend some time to do a perfect install. Now to enjoy my auto headlights

trassalpl (03-11-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 06:12 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

@smrpr Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Thomas_
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Another happy customer, from Denmark.

Installed today, works great on my 2011 997.2 with Dynamic cornering lights and LED daytime driving lights.

When setting light switch to home all the lights work as before (bi-xenon etc), including the two-way function of the DRL (full LED light and slim LED light). But the "home" option does not work anymore, eg. I can set the lights to be on 30 seconds after I lock the car. Now the lights turn of when locking the car.

The install was somewhat fiddly, but easily doable when taking your time. Trickiest part, for me, was routing the light sensor cable through the hole under the dash trim and down into the light switch cavity. Had to use a stiff guide cable that I routed through first.

Best regards,
Thomas

Old 03-18-2024, 11:44 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Thomas_

I'm glad to hear that you liked it. But the thing with the HOME function no longer working is very strange.
You are the first user to report that issue (out of way over a hundred).
I'm basically just passing the signal for HOME through without making any changes.
If anything else wouldn't work I would think that it's an issue with the connectors, but that doesn't make too much sense either. I'm scratching my head here.
Be it as it may, let me know if I shall send you a replacement unit (free of charge of course). It's definitely not the sensor, so you could leave that in place and just replace the box, which would make it a less than 5 minute swap.
Just let me know
Thomas_ (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 11:55 AM
SpectreH
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine works exactly as it should. Home works like it did and lights come one automatically. Only time I touch the switch is if it is raining and the wipers are on, I manually turn on the lights.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpectreH:
Hatzenbach (03-18-2024), Thomas_ (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 01:37 PM
Thomas_
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks @Thomas_

I'm glad to hear that you liked it. But the thing with the HOME function no longer working is very strange.
You are the first user to report that issue (out of way over a hundred).
I'm basically just passing the signal for HOME through without making any changes.
If anything else wouldn't work I would think that it's an issue with the connectors, but that doesn't make too much sense either. I'm scratching my head here.
Be it as it may, let me know if I shall send you a replacement unit (free of charge of course). It's definitely not the sensor, so you could leave that in place and just replace the box, which would make it a less than 5 minute swap.
Just let me know
@Hatzenbach Did some further testing and it is all good. Turns out the coming home light does not activate around dusk; it must be very dark for it to work. Tested tonight in total darkness and coming home light works fine with the auto headlights. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Thomas_; 03-18-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Hatzenbach (03-19-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 10:23 AM
Breizh
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another satisfied customer! I had an issue with the earlier unit, waited over 3 months to actually try to install it (procrastination is my middle name!). When it failed to work, @Hatzenbach shipped a new unit with the newer OEM connector and the new light sensor mounting bracket. So, in addition to a great kit, his Customer Service is top notch.
I can't wait to get my hands on the "wart" unit!
Hatzenbach (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 07:31 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Breizh
Another satisfied customer! I had an issue with the earlier unit, waited over 3 months to actually try to install it (procrastination is my middle name!). When it failed to work, @Hatzenbach shipped a new unit with the newer OEM connector and the new light sensor mounting bracket. So, in addition to a great kit, his Customer Service is top notch.
I can't wait to get my hands on the "wart" unit!
Thank You!
And just to get your excitement (for the "wart unit" aka. SportChrono replacement) even higher: I just added a new screen where you can now monitor oil temp and oil pressure in one screen.
Yes, both of the readings that are almost impossible to see in the instrument cluster, because they are hidden behind the rim of the steering wheel (and your hands) will now be in plain sight.
And where are we with an ETA? The Beta phase has completed with really good feedback.
Probably just another week while I'm waiting for a few crucial parts, that are delayed, and then they should be ready to order, probably 1st week of April.
So not much waiting anymore (if you are in the US). I want to get quick feedback on the new units and will initially only sell them in the US (2 or 3 days delivery time = quick feedback time), before I will sell them worldwide.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
TerrestrialFlyte (03-21-2024), Thomas_ (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:11 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Coming soon ...

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 03-21-2024 at 11:38 PM.
downtroddengoat (03-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2