Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded Bore scoring on 06 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022 | 03:40 PM
997Fanatic997
Instructor

Default Dreaded Bore scoring on 06 C2S

Background: Bought 06 911 C2S in August of 2021, 50K miles. Have put on 6K since then.

First 3-4K miles went pretty flawless, no indications of engine issues. I gradually started seeing increased oil consumption, starting at 1 quart every 1K miles or so. Also saw some sootiness on driver's side exhaust, no unusual noises though. Last weekend I went to HPDE and the car went through 1 quart from when I changed the oil on Thursday to the end of the first day on Saturday, maybe 150 miles. Not leaking underneath. It started throwing P0301 codes indicating misfires on cylinder 1, so I shut it down when it started flashing. Karl @ RennsportKC scoped Cylinder 1 and advised I'll need a rebuild/new engine due to bore scoring. Said that I may not need it immediately but given the oil consumption I can't imagine I can keep driving it, at least not without destroying the new Soul sport cats when it's eating so much oil.

He's certified with Jake @ FSI, but I spoke with Jakes and realistically I'm looking at the end of 2023. He will have 8 engines available January-July but he says he's turned down 90 customers so demand will be high. And it would be a stage 2 costing at least 35K ("wild guess"). What are my best other options, I see Vision Motorsports in CA. Anyone know of a shop relatively close to KC that can handle this and what the current (supply shortage) pricing would be on a 3.8 rebuild? And how much extra it would be to go 4 or 4.2?

Last edited by 997Fanatic997; 05-05-2022 at 04:52 PM. Reason: wrong year
Old 05-05-2022 | 04:08 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by nealvaughan
Background: Bought 05 911 C2S in August of 2021, 50K miles. Have put on 6K since then.

First 3-4K miles went pretty flawless, no indications of engine issues. I gradually started seeing increased oil consumption, starting at 1 quart every 1K miles or so. Also saw some sootiness on driver's side exhaust, no unusual noises though. Last weekend I went to HPDE and the car went through 1 quart from when I changed the oil on Thursday to the end of the first day on Saturday, maybe 150 miles. Not leaking underneath. It started throwing P0301 codes indicating misfires on cylinder 1, so I shut it down when it started flashing. Karl @ RennsportKC scoped Cylinder 1 and advised I'll need a rebuild/new engine due to bore scoring. Said that I may not need it immediately but given the oil consumption I can't imagine I can keep driving it, at least not without destroying the new Soul sport cats when it's eating so much oil.

He's certified with Jake @ FSI, but I spoke with Jakes and realistically I'm looking at the end of 2023. He will have 8 engines available January-July but he says he's turned down 90 customers so demand will be high. And it would be a stage 2 costing at least 35K ("wild guess"). What are my best other options, I see Vision Motorsports in CA. Anyone know of a shop relatively close to KC that can handle this and what the current (supply shortage) pricing would be on a 3.8 rebuild? And how much extra it would be to go 4 or 4.2?
Sorry to hear about your engine. A couple other options would be to have a shop you know and trust locally to pull your engine and send the case halves to LN Engineering to be re-sleaved with 4.0L Nickies if your shop can do the rest of the rebuild. I actually just talked to a shop here in Colorado this morning that did something similar and they said it was roughly $25k out the door for their customer (who is actually a dealer). It sounds like pistons are hard to come by due to supply shortages, so just be prepared for that.

Another option is Hartech in the UK. Obviously shipping an engine across the pond adds cost and logistical challenges, but Hartech does have customers from the States that have sent their engines over for rebuilds.
I was exchanging e-mails with Grant at Hartech last week regarding budgetary costs and what their process is. I can PM you the details if you're interested, but my cocktail napkin math for a 4.1L rebuild from Hartech including a local shop doing the removal and reinstallation along with budgetary shipping charges and accounting for the exchange rate, would put you in the low-mid $20k's as well. Add in a new clutch (if needed) and some other ancillary items like fuel injectors, etc. and I think it's safe to say you would be in that $25k neighborhood as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (10-10-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 04:52 PM
997Fanatic997
Instructor

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Sorry to hear about your engine. A couple other options would be to have a shop you know and trust locally to pull your engine and send the case halves to LN Engineering to be re-sleaved with 4.0L Nickies if your shop can do the rest of the rebuild. I actually just talked to a shop here in Colorado this morning that did something similar and they said it was roughly $25k out the door for their customer (who is actually a dealer). It sounds like pistons are hard to come by due to supply shortages, so just be prepared for that.

Another option is Hartech in the UK. Obviously shipping an engine across the pond adds cost and logistical challenges, but Hartech does have customers from the States that have sent their engines over for rebuilds.
I was exchanging e-mails with Grant at Hartech last week regarding budgetary costs and what their process is. I can PM you the details if you're interested, but my cocktail napkin math for a 4.1L rebuild from Hartech including a local shop doing the removal and reinstallation along with budgetary shipping charges and accounting for the exchange rate, would put you in the low-mid $20k's as well. Add in a new clutch (if needed) and some other ancillary items like fuel injectors, etc. and I think it's safe to say you would be in that $25k neighborhood as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I'd definitely be interested in more details on Hartech, all options are on the table right now I think. On the LN Engineering option, Karl at Rennsport KC isn't currently able to do this, I'll ask around at the next KC PCA breakfast to see if there is a shop who might be able to.
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:23 PM
mpath
Racer

There's a local one-man shop in Richmond, BC (no affiliation) that's earning a reputation for 4.0 conversions, Mike Auto: https://g.page/mike-auto-richmond?share . No idea on what he charges, but maybe save some money on the exchange rate?

Here's a car (not mine) that he did with the 4.0JE Piston conversion.

The following 4 users liked this post by mpath:
BeeBurr (05-12-2022), Charles Navarro (05-13-2022), Nine9Se7en_YYC (05-10-2022), tegraphile (05-09-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:31 PM
Dick964
Instructor

Wow ! (Of topic...) What are these wheels ?!
The following 3 users liked this post by Dick964:
BucketList (05-06-2022), Fracture (05-05-2022), Scalp_em (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:50 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dick964
Yes those wheels are awesome!
Old 05-05-2022 | 07:06 PM
stuned
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dick964
Should be the Fifteen52 outlaw 001m 19” wheels. Collab with Magnus Walker.
Nine9Se7en_YYC (05-10-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 07:09 PM
JC997
Rennlist Member

You can always look into purchasing an engine directly from L&N Engineering. I just went to their website and they have rebuilt engines for $21,995.

I dealt with L&N in the past and they are a reputable company that stands behind their products. Sorry to hear about your situation, I was in the same boat a year ago.
Old 05-06-2022 | 10:00 AM
997Fanatic997
Instructor

Originally Posted by JC997
You can always look into purchasing an engine directly from L&N Engineering. I just went to their website and they have rebuilt engines for $21,995.

I dealt with L&N in the past and they are a reputable company that stands behind their products. Sorry to hear about your situation, I was in the same boat a year ago.
It says that is RND Engines, my mechanic said he reached out recently to them for another 997 client and they never got back to him after multiple attempts.
Old 05-06-2022 | 10:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpath
There's a local one-man shop in Richmond, BC (no affiliation) that's earning a reputation for 4.0 conversions, Mike Auto: https://g.page/mike-auto-richmond?share . No idea on what he charges, but maybe save some money on the exchange rate?

Here's a car (not mine) that he did with the 4.0JE Piston conversion.

Like those wheels, but that photo is odd - outside edges are stretched which makes the triangles in the wheels look larger at the outsides and the wheels not look round.
Old 05-06-2022 | 10:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Man, sorry to hear about your engine - I'd be gutted. Some good options shown here with LN, Hartech, and FSI. I don't know anything about Vision.

I would recommend you not do iron sleeving though, even if the price is attractive.
Old 05-06-2022 | 11:17 AM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Man, I am so sorry to hear. I hope you find a good solution. This is my nightmare: a very quick onset of terminal bore scoreitis.
Old 05-06-2022 | 12:00 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by nealvaughan
I'd definitely be interested in more details on Hartech, all options are on the table right now I think. On the LN Engineering option, Karl at Rennsport KC isn't currently able to do this, I'll ask around at the next KC PCA breakfast to see if there is a shop who might be able to.
PM sent.

I think the option you choose will depend on if you can find a shop that can do a rebuild by sending the case halves to LN to be resleaved and do the rest of the rebuild in house, vs. a shop that can only do the remove/reinstall. I'd reach out to LN directly to see when/if they will consider taking in an entire engine for a rebuild or if they're still just fitting liners at the moment.
Old 05-06-2022 | 12:07 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
PM sent.

I think the option you choose will depend on if you can find a shop that can do a rebuild by sending the case halves to LN to be resleaved and do the rest of the rebuild in house, vs. a shop that can only do the remove/reinstall. I'd reach out to LN directly to see when/if they will consider taking in an entire engine for a rebuild or if they're still just fitting liners at the moment.
Also LN will likely be able to recommend shops that they work with on a regular basis in your area. LN @lnengineering and their Nickasil sleeves IMO are the Gold Standard for our M97 engines…Best of luck.

Last edited by Scalp_em; 05-06-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2022 | 12:08 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC997

I dont think they sell engins off the shelf anymore, from what I was told. But yes VERy good CO.!
The Mick (05-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Dreaded Bore scoring on 06 C2S