Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded Bore scoring on 06 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022 | 11:24 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rtl5009
You can go through the spark plug holes at bdc. It’s ok!
Not picking a fight, but it's my understanding that the "brain trust" that is Rennlist says even if it's at BDC you could be missing the initial onset of BS because that's where it starts. Granted the only way to know 100% for sure is to disassemble and get eyes and hands on the cylinders, but that's not practical at all. Now, those cylinders look very clean and I'd feel really good about the chances that the rest of the cylinder hidden by the piston looks the same. And if it didn't, hopefully you'd have many more miles before it would rear its ugly head.
Old 10-09-2022 | 01:39 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
Not picking a fight, but it's my understanding that the "brain trust" that is Rennlist says even if it's at BDC you could be missing the initial onset of BS because that's where it starts. Granted the only way to know 100% for sure is to disassemble and get eyes and hands on the cylinders, but that's not practical at all. Now, those cylinders look very clean and I'd feel really good about the chances that the rest of the cylinder hidden by the piston looks the same. And if it didn't, hopefully you'd have many more miles before it would rear its ugly head.
99% of the Bore Scoring I have seen in other owners 997 Bore Score photos as well as the 4 997's I have had scoped over past 3 years, all had UPPER cylinder scoring.
All had majority of Bore Scoring at the top 1/2 of the cylinders.

When you consider the (4) 997 3.8L engines I have had scoped in past 3 years as part of PPI and all running well and all 4 scoped from spark plug holes, and all 4 were a disaster in terms of scoring marks in photos as well as a cracked cylinder wall, I am more than super confident the Bore Scope Inspection I had done last year on my 2006 997C4 was more than adequate at 107K miles.

Here are some of the results of those 997 3.8L engines I had scoped: Nasty ugly cylinders scoped from spark plug holes.
Top photo shows score mark looking like road with sidewalk--->Cracked cylinder in bottom photo as well as scoring

Last edited by groovzilla; 10-09-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2022 | 01:49 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nealvaughan
I don't have anything for sale in the marketplace, so I'm not sure what that scussion is about or why it's being conflated with me/my car. I will be asking the shop for digital photos, this is just what I was given initially.
Where are your digital photos??

Last edited by groovzilla; 10-09-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2022 | 02:27 PM
frederik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla

That is not very bad bore scoring. Cylinder #6 in my 996 Carrera had a slight score (bit smaller than this) and you definitely couldn't catch a fingernail behind it.

This is real bore scoring:

(From this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ld-thread.html)

Agree with you though that you definitely want to scope a 996 or 997 prior to purchase!
Old 10-09-2022 | 03:32 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

When you consider the (4) 997 3.8L engines I have had scoped in past 3 years as part of PPI and all running well and all 4 scoped from spark plug holes, and all 4 were a disaster in terms of scoring marks in photos as well as a cracked cylinder wall, I am more than super confident the Bore Scope Inspection I had done last year on my 2006 997C4 was more than adequate at 107K miles.
I agree if I scoped from the spark plugs with the cylinders at BDC and saw what you saw I’d feel comfortable moving forward with a purchase. But my understanding that the general consensus scoping from the bottom is the best way to do it. Raby even said he’d choose to scoped from the bottom 100% of the time versus through the spark plugs because it’s more conclusive and actually easier to take of the 13 bolts from the oil pan than to mess with the exhaust, etc to get to the plugs.
Old 10-09-2022 | 04:02 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

I agree if I scoped from the spark plugs with the cylinders at BDC and saw what you saw I’d feel comfortable moving forward with a purchase. But my understanding that the general consensus scoping from the bottom is the best way to do it. Raby even said he’d choose to scoped from the bottom 100% of the time versus through the spark plugs because it’s more conclusive and actually easier to take of the 13 bolts from the oil pan than to mess with the exhaust, etc to get to the plugs.
Bottom is “best” but it’s way more involved and cost an oil change plus time for pan. Through a hole is literally just time and 99% of the way there.

you can also do it through the wrist pin plug and get behind the pistons as well, similar to removing the pan for just time.

better options than pan removal.

Old 10-09-2022 | 04:23 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Meh, 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I was doing an oil change and planned the scope, so no loss for me. Didn’t know about the wrist pin plug method. That’s a new one to me.
Old 10-09-2022 | 08:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Glad we can all agree that getting Bore Scope performed whether from top or bottom is a smart decision.
Many 997 buyers/owners think Bore Scope Inspection is a waste of time.

Last edited by groovzilla; 10-09-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2022 | 09:20 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Glad we can all agree that getting Bore Scope performed whether from top or bottom is a smart decision.
Many 997 buyers/owners think Bore Scope Inspection is a waste of time.
I’m not so smart. I rolled the dice with my purchase, emotions got the best of me. Luckily the maintenance history was actually indicative of 2 diligent previous owners and what I saw on my scopes look good. Sent pics off to LNE this morning for their assessment. Even tho I didn’t do it, I certainly don’t see it as a waste of time. Smart money bore scopes, I just happen to not be too smart. But I’m lucky (at least I think so, we’ll see what LNE says), and sometimes that’s just as good.
Old 10-09-2022 | 10:31 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I’m not so smart. I rolled the dice with my purchase, emotions got the best of me. Luckily the maintenance history was actually indicative of 2 diligent previous owners and what I saw on my scopes look good. Sent pics off to LNE this morning for their assessment. Even tho I didn’t do it, I certainly don’t see it as a waste of time. Smart money bore scopes, I just happen to not be too smart. But I’m lucky (at least I think so, we’ll see what LNE says), and sometimes that’s just as good.
Sometimes being lucky is way better than being smart

The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022 | 10:52 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Sometimes being lucky is way better than being smart
….sometimes….
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 10:28 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Am I missing something or is this being scoped from the top? Looks like he’s going in through the spark plug holes here. The sump plate is still in place. And in a few of the pics that sure looks like the top of the piston in the corner of the shot.

I recently scoped my own car from the sump and feel pretty good about what I saw. But I’ll take it a step further and send my pics in to LN and get their opinion.
Pictures rec'd. Will reply shortly.

Last edited by Charles Navarro; 10-10-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2022 | 10:35 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
From what you've posted, your bores look great!
I haven’t posted anything here. I did submit a ticket through your site though.
Old 10-10-2022 | 11:11 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

I haven’t posted anything here. I did submit a ticket through your site though.
Apologies. I will review the photos you send shortly.
Old 10-10-2022 | 11:28 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Apologies. I will review the photos you send shortly.
No worries. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Dreaded Bore scoring on 06 C2S