Sponsored by:

I’m baaaaack!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 10:51 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I’m baaaaack!

What’s up rennlist!? After years away from the P-car world I am returning by making my dream a reality….a 911!

I’ve purchased a 2005 911. It needs a bit of work but I’ve already been diving deep into old posts here. I found this community a wealth of knowledge 20 years ago…. Jesus…. 20 years? And am looking forward to learning more about my new baby!

It needs some paint work (I’m considering wrapping it), I’m working on refinishing the wheels, the front control module is freaking out and the front rotors are warped but it’s really not bad!

The following 4 users liked this post by pearldrum944:
Chris M. (04-02-2022), Emc2design (04-01-2022), ManoTexas (04-02-2022), Perdido (04-02-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 11:04 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Congrats!
Old 04-01-2022, 11:10 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,907 Posts

Welcome Back!

Old 04-01-2022, 11:54 PM
Emc2design
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 651 Likes on 254 Posts

Congrats and welcome back

By Porsche enthusiasts
For Porsche enthusiasts

Old 04-02-2022, 02:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by pearldrum944
What’s up rennlist!? After years away from the P-car world I am returning by making my dream a reality….a 911!

I’ve purchased a 2005 911. It needs a bit of work but I’ve already been diving deep into old posts here. I found this community a wealth of knowledge 20 years ago…. Jesus…. 20 years? And am looking forward to learning more about my new baby!

It needs some paint work (I’m considering wrapping it), I’m working on refinishing the wheels, the front control module is freaking out and the front rotors are warped but it’s really not bad!
Good move back to the brand. The car doesn't look as bad as your description of it but limited detailed pictures so I take your word of your assessment. What's wrong with the wheels anyway? They look like they're in good condition in the pictures. You just want a different color/finish?
Old 04-02-2022, 08:00 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,387 Likes on 1,295 Posts

Nice. Welcome back! Nice example too.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Sweet. Welcome back. Those wheels are Champion RS98s and are very nice wheels - forged, light, and strong. With the deep face and polished look, have kind of a retro feel to the older 911s but with a more modern spoke design. They don't manufacturer that style anymore (nor the similar rs171) so are getting hard to find.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:01 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Good move back to the brand. The car doesn't look as bad as your description of it but limited detailed pictures so I take your word of your assessment. What's wrong with the wheels anyway? They look like they're in good condition in the pictures. You just want a different color/finish?
Yeah, the clearcoat is bubbling and lifting on the front fenders and hood. I tried wetsanding a test spot but I can’t fix it without totally removing the clear.

The wheels are pretty pitted/corroded on the lips, the centers look good. I’ve begun using steel wool and high grit sandpaper to clean them up and polishing with mothers aluminum polish (I did the same on my old 944’s BBS wheels back in the day) and they are looking fantastic so far!

Originally Posted by Petza914
Sweet. Welcome back. Those wheels are Champion RS98s and are very nice wheels - forged, light, and strong. With the deep face and polished look, have kind of a retro feel to the older 911s but with a more modern spoke design. They don't manufacturer that style anymore (nor the similar rs171) so are getting hard to find.
Awesome, I didn’t know the wheels were out of production and becoming more rare. I love the look, especially in person.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:47 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

What color will the wrap be?
Old 04-02-2022, 07:10 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris M.
What color will the wrap be?
that depends…. I was originally thinking about wrapping the hood, roof and engine cover satin black if I could fix the front fenders. Now that I know the fenders can’t be fixed without repainting, I’m trying to entertain if I could do an elongated oval design behind the headlights to cover the top of the fenders also. If I decide that won’t look good, I came across this car in Rennlist that I may try to emulate, I love the shade of blue!

Old 04-02-2022, 07:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

that depends…. I was originally thinking about wrapping the hood, roof and engine cover satin black if I could fix the front fenders. Now that I know the fenders can’t be fixed without repainting, I’m trying to entertain if I could do an elongated oval design behind the headlights to cover the top of the fenders also. If I decide that won’t look good, I came across this car in Rennlist that I may try to emulate, I love the shade of blue!
I love the blue too. Check out a wraps thread started by a user named @Hatzenbach
I called it Hatzenblau
Old 04-02-2022, 09:52 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I love the blue too. Check out a wraps thread started by a user named @Hatzenbach
I called it Hatzenblau
Cool! I think both Mexico and Miami are a little too light for my taste. The wrap I posted is 3M Intense Blue Gloss.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, the clearcoat is bubbling and lifting on the front fenders and hood. I tried wetsanding a test spot but I can’t fix it without totally removing the clear.

The wheels are pretty pitted/corroded on the lips, the centers look good. I’ve begun using steel wool and high grit sandpaper to clean them up and polishing with mothers aluminum polish (I did the same on my old 944’s BBS wheels back in the day) and they are looking fantastic so far!

Awesome, I didn’t know the wheels were out of production and becoming more rare. I love the look, especially in person.
Got it. Didn't realize they were forged so Petza summed it up well. Well worth keeping as long as you can bring them to the finish you're happy with. I'm sure you'll find a way. A new set comparable to what you have would set you back $6 to $7K.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:40 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Got it. Didn't realize they were forged so Petza summed it up well. Well worth keeping as long as you can bring them to the finish you're happy with. I'm sure you'll find a way. A new set comparable to what you have would set you back $6 to $7K.
Seriously!? Holy ****! I’ve done half the lip of one of the rears so far and it looks fantastic! I’m out of town right now but can’t wait to get home and back to work on them.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:01 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 234 Posts

Cool! I think both Mexico and Miami are a little too light for my taste. The wrap I posted is 3M Intense Blue Gloss.
Well, since I was mentioned here...
My car is wrapped in "Avery Light Blue", which turns out to be an almost exact match for Porsche "Riviera Blue" https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/RivieraBlue (in the picture the GT3 on the right wears OEM Riviera Blue, the Cayman in the background is - i believe - Miami Blue)
When I picked up the car from the wrapper I initially thought "oh my god, what have I done?", but now I absolutely love it and wouldn't do it any other way.
I think if I hadn't done the roof and the mirrors (and the endplates of the GT3 wing) in semi-gloss black, it might have been too "loud", but I absolutely adore it and would regret going with a darker blue.
I also *never* have gotten so many compliments on the car since I wrapped it.

Quick Reply: I’m baaaaack!