Street coilovers setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 10:06 PM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Street coilovers setup

Hi All,

So many different opinions on suspension setup out there. I have a stock 997.1 C2S with PASM. I never use the sport shock button because it's just too stiff, I actually think it handles better without.

I'm looking for something lower, and I'm sure a fresh set of shocks will feel great. I know I can go with bilstein's and accompanying lowering springs or a basic coilover setup. I don't plan on tracking the car, and if I had coilovers, I would just set the suspension once and never touch it again. Not would I slam the car.

Seems like Bilstein B16 is a good option if I want to retain PASM. KW V1 and Ohlins Road & Track does not retain PASM.

If I went with springs I'm reading the Eibach has a better ride for the street. Are Bilstein's the obvious shock to pair with them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:17 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

I would do the PASM Bilstein coilovers with a DSC. Done. /end thread.

Last edited by jamesinger; 01-25-2022 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added links
The following 3 users liked this post by jamesinger:
dmpslc (01-25-2022), frederickcook87 (01-25-2022), Petza914 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:33 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 308 Posts

I went from PASM with Techart springs to H&R coilovers and back to PASM with DSC and Eibach.

Skip the low-end (sub $3k) coilovers entirely. I hated every single moment with coilovers, even though I got my wish for being able to lower the car a lot.

Factory PASM was just eh, and the techart springs were way too droopy up front. PASM sport mode from the factory, unless on a track, was garbage. Beyond bone shattering stiff.

PASM with DSC and Eibachs (+ shims up front) is the perfect ride heigh / sporty combo. In fact, I drive with sport mode now "on" most of the time - and in the city as well.

and you really don't need to be any lower than this:

Attachment 1338083
The following 3 users liked this post by hexagone:
frederickcook87 (01-25-2022), sabotaged (01-25-2022), Tyler85 (05-12-2024)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:01 AM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

@hexagone Did you do replacement shocks? I too, have been debating between b8 and b16 bilsteins to replace my 95k mile oem pasm units, along with lowering springs (not that the oe setup rides badly, I just think there would be some freshening up to be had by replacing.)

What is the general consensus on b8 vs b16 pasm for street only use? How do those 2 setups compare to a kwv3 setup with the pasm resistors?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:31 AM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

@hexagone. That is the right amount of drop, I don't want it over lowered.

Same question as above, are you on stock shocks?
Old 01-25-2022, 10:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,556 Likes on 4,170 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I would do the PASM Bilstein coilovers with a DSC. Done. /end thread.
This. Same setup I have and love it.

The following users liked this post:
jamesinger (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 10:57 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1 Kevin
@hexagone. That is the right amount of drop, I don't want it over lowered.

Same question as above, are you on stock shocks?
stock PASM shocks. I picked up a lightly used set for (20k mi) for $350 on eBay vs the new PASM replacements which are like $2k. Helped justify the DSC cost easily.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:13 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
I went from PASM with Techart springs to H&R coilovers and back to PASM with DSC and Eibach.

Skip the low-end (sub $3k) coilovers entirely. I hated every single moment with coilovers, even though I got my wish for being able to lower the car a lot.

Factory PASM was just eh, and the techart springs were way too droopy up front. PASM sport mode from the factory, unless on a track, was garbage. Beyond bone shattering stiff.

PASM with DSC and Eibachs (+ shims up front) is the perfect ride heigh / sporty combo. In fact, I drive with sport mode now "on" most of the time - and in the city as well.

Interesting comments on the various setups you had. I'm presently on Eibachs with stock PASM struts and like it quite a bit. I run sport suspension mode when autocross (very infrequently, with the local PCA club) and then regular most of the time unless I expect curves up ahead. I actually have a set of TechArts on the shelf that can go into the car too. I really like the Eibachs though. Goldilocks kind of set up.

I continually debate and discuss coilovers with a buddy of mine. Cost of new B8 struts, aftermarket springs and associated is getting close to some of the lower end coilovers. But then coilovers are usually linear spring rates, so not as comfortable on the street. I had KW Variant 3s on my old supercharged S2000 and it was probably overkill for mostly street driving. If you shop enough (RockAuto is good) there are decent prices to be found for B8s (or B4s or B6s). RockAuto can usually source Bilstein coilovers too.

I keep telling my buddy that for 99% street use, stock or B8 struts with lowering spring is fine, but then for just a little bit more (okay, or sometimes a lot more!) money you can get into a coilover set up that is nicer stuff. Pros and cons of coilovers are always there though vs. decent street set up with B8s or stock struts combined with lowering springs.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:23 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

can you elaborate on the TechArts being “droopy” up front (any pics)? Perfect stance by the way, car looks sharp!

Last edited by fayraree; 01-26-2022 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:19 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fayraree
can you elaborate on the TechArts being “droopy” up front (any pics)? Perfect stance by the way, car looks sharp!
Out of the box, you end up having the car really rake up front, which I hated the look of.

It's why I got rid of PASM in the first place, so I can get even ride height. Learned that coilovers were crap to live with, and went back with PASM and added the factory shims up front to get the car to sit evenly front/back

Old 01-26-2022, 12:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Out of the box, you end up having the car really rake up front, which I hated the look of.

It's why I got rid of PASM in the first place, so I can get even ride height. Learned that coilovers were crap to live with, and went back with PASM and added the factory shims up front to get the car to sit evenly front/back

Not sure which coilovers you tried, but my B16S not only ride better than my stick PASM suspension did, but the suspension works better too. Adding DSC made them even better after I customized my profiles, I also don't have a single rubber bushing left in my suspension and it still rides better than my wife's PASM stock setup
Old 01-26-2022, 12:35 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not sure which coilovers you tried, but my B16S not only ride better than my stick PASM suspension did, but the suspension works better too. Adding DSC made them even better after I customized my profiles, I also don't have a single rubber bushing left in my suspension and it still rides better than my wife's PASM stock setup
Ok sure... but, you also operated on a seemingly unlimited budget and have every other single suspension part replaced on your car to make it more lively. I've seen photos, you've posted them frequently. It's not apples to apples - it's like me saying "of course, my GT3 handles better than a 997 - so buy one of those" - that logic doesn't work. Most people here still operate under some kind of "budget".

B16 = $3k
DSC = $1250
Install = $800 (how much it cost to install shocks/springs/alignment in the Bay Area)

And you're at least $5k into your setup

OR

Factory PASM = already equipped
DSC = $1250
Install = $800
Eibach + Shims = $400

Less than $2500?

I much prefer the 50% off option and best bang for the buck. The 40,000 miles of seat time in my car between 3 suspensions would agree. Oh, and I've driven several non-PASM 997.2s extensively as well as a car I had which had $5k JRZs and a whole lot of GT3 bits.

Still opt for PASM + Eibach + DSC. Free advertising for them.

Last edited by hexagone; 01-26-2022 at 12:38 PM.
SCEvan (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok sure... but, you also operated on a seemingly unlimited budget and have every other single suspension part replaced on your car to make it more lively. I've seen photos, you've posted them frequently. It's not apples to apples - it's like me saying "of course, my GT3 handles better than a 997 - so buy one of those" - that logic doesn't work. Most people here still operate under some kind of "budget".

B16 = $3k
DSC = $1250
Install = $800 (how much it cost to install shocks/springs/alignment in the Bay Area)

And you're at least $5k into your setup

OR

Factory PASM = already equipped
DSC = $1250
Install = $800
Eibach + Shims = $400

Less than $2500?

I much prefer the 50% off option and best bang for the buck. The 40,000 miles of seat time in my car between 3 suspensions would agree. Oh, and I've driven several non-PASM 997.2s extensively as well as a car I had which had $5k JRZs and a whole lot of GT3 bits.

Still opt for PASM + Eibach + DSC. Free advertising for them.
True. But I think B16s alone with the rest of the stock suspension components is a good middle of the road cost benefit that also lets you level and adjust the car balance. I have no experience with any other coilovers, but can imagine other non-pasm compatible setups could feel very tough and track oriented or require a lot of dialing in with manual adjustments.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:19 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

The Eibach springs actually scraped the front spoiler flappy thing more than the GT3 suspension does and the GT3 suspension is set up lower.
Also, I am not 100% happy with the "stance" of the eibachs + spacers but the GT3 suspension, which is basically B16 PASM coilovers is mouth watering.
The performance of the 2 aren't even in the same ballpark. I had stock for a year, eibachs with spacers for a year and GT3 suspension for 2 years, all with PS4S. The GT3 suspension is on a totally different level, hence the difference in price. In any case, if your shocks aren't leaking, the cheapest option is to put Eibach Springs on. If you want new Shocks, the B16 coilovers will totally transform your car in a way that no set of lowering springs will.

eibachs + 15mm RSS spacers with PS4S (dirty)

GT3 coilovers + RSS 5mm spacers on PS4S (dirtier)

...just saying. (kinda unfair pics because of the GT3 wheels vs. Lobster FORKS).
Petza914 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 10:02 AM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

Like all suspension threads, lots of different opinions. I appreciate everyone's responses.

Its either Eibach + stock, or B16 for me. I don't see anyone mentioning KW...a local Porsche shop does, but not sure I like their opinion (KW made of superior materials).

I'm doing the install myself as I understand you can do the swap without the use of spring compressors. My 997 is my second weekend car, so its ok if I'm on jackstands for a couple of weekends.

Quick Reply: Street coilovers setup