Sponsored by:

DSC controller -- help push me over the fence

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 04:08 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default DSC controller -- help push me over the fence

I've been considering a DSC controller for my 997 for well over a year and can't seem to pull the trigger. Bear with me and help me spend some money?

Orig owner 2010 997.2 C2S SPASM 6spd with 20k miles

Love the way it drives. It could be a little more comfortable on rough roads but otherwise love it.

I'm intrigued by the DSC controller because processors have come so far in the last decade. I like the idea of upgrading the PASM brain.

Any downsides to DSC with my use case? I'm going to hopefully start driving it more. Kids no longer need me to drive them around. The DSC is also low risk because it can easily be removed & sold...

Am I really going to notice much difference as a daily with an occasional mountain road blast?
Old 01-15-2022, 04:30 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts

I had my original 2005 C4s and I remember it being really stiff and jarring on the roads in NYC particularly in Manhattan, when I got back into a 2007 C4s last winter the first thing I was looking for was to see if they had something yo bring the suspension to be a bit more compliant as I DD in the spring/summer.

i went w the DSC controller w a NYC mapping and I couldn’t be happier w it. The car completely transforms over bumpy roads and you have much more confidence in the car. Sport mode feels better as well but just a plank over bumps.

i wouldn’t second guess it

I’m adding some B16 coil overs w pasm this spring so I can’t wait to report back how much better it is. The stock suspension only has 36k miles but pushing 14yrs so time for a refresh
The following users liked this post:
bobbt82 (02-23-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 04:40 PM
smadill
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I’ve had it installed in my 2005 C2S for over 3 years. Also have NYC downloaded for our crap roads in Australia. Brilliant bit of tech upgrade for a reasonable price. Yours being a series 2 you don’t need the 3 axis g meter which saves money. As you say if / when it’s time to sell remove it and sell. Always a market for them.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I found it to be the best upgrade that I made. Transformed the handling of the car. Transformed Sport mode from being an absolutely unusable setting for me, to being a fantastic asset.

I picked up the one I purchased (used) here in the Rennlist Marketplace. I sold it two years later after selling my 997.2 - again here in the Marketplace (sold in one day.) My total cost to own and use it ended up being zero.

And in your case (997.2), the installation is quick and easy.

This one is definitely a no-brainer.

bobbt82 (02-23-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 04:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 178K miles

If you've been considering it, you must have read my posts. I am a total DSC enthusiast. Without describing what it can do or how it works... plenty of that on Rennlist... let me hit you with the simplest rational for purchasing the thing: It is super cheap... maybe a few hundred bucks at most lost if you don't like it. Huh? If you don't like it, sell it. It takes 15 minutes to install, and 15 minutes to uninstall. No lift time, no wrenching, no parts replacement. This thing is stupid easy and stupid cheap. I really don't know of another mod that is this easy, no-wrenching skills required, cheap, instantly reversible, and configurable.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

stiles_s (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:05 PM
Kineticdg
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 103 Posts

I installed my DSC Christmas gift just a couple weeks ago in a sister car to yours. With the SPASM, it's still stiff - but it doesn't crash over bumps now.

I went for takeout with the old controller, switched in the parking lot to get an immediate back to back comparison on familiar roads. The difference was obvious within seconds on the drive back. I've done one aggressive back roads drive, and it felt brilliant. Also, sport is now usable - in fact it's probably not much stiffer in a straight line than normal in the old controller.

I highly recommend it - maybe with the SPASM it's not quite the dramatic change that others have said, but it makes normal driving much less shall we say "physical" and that alone is worth it.
stiles_s (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:19 PM
frybear
Pro

Received 215 Likes on 135 Posts

I too am on the fence but it's purely b/c i have a 997.1 and have to install more pieces and splice in wires, which I personally cannot do with any real confidence...that's my only real dilemma...and I'm not sure if my stereo guy really knows what he's doing as he hasn't installed one of these before...
Old 01-15-2022, 05:36 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Thanks everyone

What do folks mean by the "NY map"? Are there maps to download?

Bruce, yes, I've been following your posts closely!
Old 01-15-2022, 06:05 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 691 Likes on 416 Posts

Just do it.
jameshaydn (11-10-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 07:51 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Thanks everyone

The amount of damping you want is different based upon your driving environment. TPC has a number of damping programs (maps) based upon your needs. They supply the software for free. You will need to supply a PC (not an Apple) and an old style (two generations back from USB-C) USB cable. Get a cable that is at least two feet long. Route it into your glove box and it will be there whenever you want to play with various maps.

I suspect the NYC map is set for potholes which are generally either straight line (near 0 lateral Gs) or slow turns around corners. So the damping would be set to very soft for those conditions.
stiles_s (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 08:28 PM
smadill
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Thanks everyone

NYC is a New York designed map for rough/pot holed roads, i use the same map for South Australian roads.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:16 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I got it about a year ago and although I notice a difference, it’s not as dramatic for me as for others. I also have an F-150 and everyone raves about Fox shocks and I didn’t think they made much difference.
stiles_s (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 10:16 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The amount of damping you want is different based upon your driving environment. TPC has a number of damping programs (maps) based upon your needs. They supply the software for free. You will need to supply a PC (not an Apple) and an old style (two generations back from USB-C) USB cable. Get a cable that is at least two feet long. Route it into your glove box and it will be there whenever you want to play with various maps.

I suspect the NYC map is set for potholes which are generally either straight line (near 0 lateral Gs) or slow turns around corners. So the damping would be set to very soft for those conditions.
Thanks. Does it matter if I buy from TPC vs DSCSport in terms of getting my hands on the maps?
Old 01-16-2022, 06:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,597 Likes on 4,195 Posts

It's awesome. Period.
bobbt82 (02-23-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 09:36 AM
NC3Pedal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My experience. Biggest difference is in Sport. Before I only used it on the smoothest of roads, otherwise fillings jarred loose. Now it makes the car handle far better with an acceptable level of stiffness. Best upgrade for the money.
frybear (01-16-2022)

Quick Reply: DSC controller -- help push me over the fence