Sponsored by:

DSC controller -- help push me over the fence

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 03:05 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The DSC controller has been out on the field for a while. Has there been any damper issues after many thousands of miles in areas with bad surfaces? The reason for the question is that the controller activates the damper valves with a higher frequency than stock, thus there's potential for faster wear (or perhaps not).
FWIW, I'm in the Balt/DC corridor, and I bought my 981 GT4 in Aug. '19, as CPO with 30k miles, and wanted to sell it the first week because it was unnecessarily harsh over just cracked pavement at parking lot speeds. I installed a DSC controller within first month or so, and added 15k miles since (no track time). I haven't had the controller for the past few months, and went back to stock, and the dampers are not quite as abrasive over similar road imperfections. Dampers feel a little sloppy/loose in some scenarios however I cannot recall how the originally performed under all conditions. Felt great at *cough* elevated *cough* speeds, over smooth roads (taught and controlled/damped bumps very well) during a recent road trip. That said, I've heard the PASM dampers need servicing in surprisingly short time/distance intervals, though I do not know those numbers.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:03 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I had offered to allow a friend with a 997.1 a test drive with my 997.2 DSC module once we installed the 3 axis accelerometer. But now I'm not sure that was a good idea. Any thoughts or knowledge on backwards compatability from a .2 to a .1? Can we do this test drive?

seems like Tom @TPC is saying negative…
it’s odd to me that they wouldn’t work but I didn’t design the thing
Old 01-18-2022, 05:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by frederickcook87
Thanks.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:17 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

I had offered to allow a friend with a 997.1 a test drive with my 997.2 DSC module once we installed the 3 axis accelerometer. But now I'm not sure that was a good idea. Any thoughts or knowledge on backwards compatability from a .2 to a .1? Can we do this test drive?
Originally Posted by frederickcook87
Same reason why a stock .2 controller doesn't work in a .1 car and vice versa. The system protocol is different. The shocks will go to limp mode. Limp mode for 997 is full stiff. The ride and handling is terrible in limp mode.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 01-19-2022, 04:10 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The DSC controller has been out on the field for a while. Has there been any damper issues after many thousands of miles in areas with bad surfaces? The reason for the question is that the controller activates the damper valves with a higher frequency than stock, thus there's potential for faster wear (or perhaps not).
I have not personally experienced nor heard from any users with DSC resulting in faster wear of the dampers, in general. DSC does operate the electromagnetic valve inside the damper at a higher frequency. It is really in the same manner as the ECU operating the electromagnetic valve inside a fuel injector to varying loads. With over a decade of testing on street, track, and dyno, we found the valves are as reliable as engine fuel injectors. Dampers are a wearable item. In my experience, the wear rate for dampers has more to with the external operating environment than the control strategy. For street and cruising, one could theorize that the DSC's softer commands for compression could potentially cause seals to wear faster by having faster damper travel rate during compression travel, but on the flip side DSC reduces or eliminates unwanted damper travel oscillations by adding rebound force, so its a zero sum on that front. For high performance driving where g-force is >0.8g there is less rate of travel than with OEM controller, but I don't think this attributes to measurable changes to the service life of a damper. Bottom line, dampers do degrade to usage with or without DSC. In my opinion, more so to the road conditions than to control strategy.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:39 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 9elvn
I had my original 2005 C4s and I remember it being really stiff and jarring on the roads in NYC particularly in Manhattan, when I got back into a 2007 C4s last winter the first thing I was looking for was to see if they had something yo bring the suspension to be a bit more compliant as I DD in the spring/summer.

i went w the DSC controller w a NYC mapping and I couldn’t be happier w it. The car completely transforms over bumpy roads and you have much more confidence in the car. Sport mode feels better as well but just a plank over bumps.

i wouldn’t second guess it

I’m adding some B16 coil overs w pasm this spring so I can’t wait to report back how much better it is. The stock suspension only has 36k miles but pushing 14yrs so time for a refresh
Can you DM me how you went about a NYC mapping? Don't mean to hijack thread!

best,
alex
The following users liked this post:
preoctavian (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 11:58 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ..

Anyone know when dsc switched the box color from white to gold?

just curious as I have a white box with 997.2 on it
Old 01-29-2022, 06:24 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, FedEx held my DSC box hostage for a week or so and surprised me with it today. Install was pretty simple. though you can in theory install w/o removing the under-tray under the glovebox, it helped me and those plastic screws take 2min to back out.

Clip out, and clip the new one it. Simple. No warning lights. Took it for a short drive and the very early impression is things in "normal" feel more supple. Hard to describe. A bit more stable and a bit more supple and planted. Will see as I take it on a real shakedown run.

Cool product. Love the plug & play. Will report back later after some miles.

FWIW, 997.2S Coupe, SPASM, 18" CarreraIII on DWS06 for year-round. 21k miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by stiles_s:
CAVU (11-08-2022), ManoTexas (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 08:19 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Great news! Agreed re: normal mode. Sport was a lot harder for me to tell, to be honest. Curious to hear what you observe.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:16 PM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 33 Posts

A bit off topic but in line with DSC information, does anyone have the “NYC” map for a 997.2 DSC box available for download? Or any info regarding where it can be acquired? I’ve reached out to DSC without a response.

thanks for any help!
Old 11-07-2022, 09:26 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ParkerCO997.2
A bit off topic but in line with DSC information, does anyone have the “NYC” map for a 997.2 DSC box available for download? Or any info regarding where it can be acquired? I’ve reached out to DSC without a response.

thanks for any help!
it should be on their website or you can email them and they will send it to you.

I run it on my 997.1 C4s in NYC and it’s night and day compared to the stock settings. The damping feels much better over bumps at speed

Old 11-07-2022, 10:12 PM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 83 Posts

I talked to Tom two weeks ago and he explained to me the current version DSC doesn’t need map downloads because it has been optimized to adapt to all situations. After extensive testing his team feels that the current settings is the best possible so we don’t have to change anything.

Originally Posted by ParkerCO997.2

thanks for any help!
Old 11-07-2022, 10:26 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatsix
I talked to Tom two weeks ago and he explained to me the current version DSC doesn’t need map downloads because it has been optimized to adapt to all situations. After extensive testing his team feels that the current settings is the best possible so we don’t have to change anything.
Does this mean they have a new map or that the new DSC has different hardware? Can the old boxes be updated?
Old 11-07-2022, 10:37 PM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 83 Posts

Tom and I didn’t discuss legacy units because I was simply inquiring about buying a new unit and had questions about maps. Maybe someone can give him a call and share the info.

Does this mean they have a new map or that the new DSC has different hardware? Can the old boxes be updated?
Old 11-08-2022, 05:18 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

I'm watching with interest, but my DSC is damn near perfect on real roads.
With it, I drive in SPORT mode 90% of the time.
With the OEM PASM box, it was 10%.

It feels to me like the enhanced rebound function is "pressing" each wheel independently back down against the road surface when an irregularity upsets the chassis.
A 'hand of god" effect is the best way I can describe it.

Expansion joints and shallow potholes are absorbed more compliantly than with the OEM, even in SPORT mode.

The real advantage of PASM over aftermarket hardware systems is having an active system vice static.
And the signals are sent exponentially faster to the valves using all four channels of the existing wiring architecture of the OEM system- that the stock box does not utilize.

Best $1K I ever spent on my car, easy.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 11-08-2022 at 05:34 AM.

Quick Reply: DSC controller -- help push me over the fence