Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC controller -- help push me over the fence

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 10:24 AM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

Darnit. . I've been on the fence on one of these for a while. This thread is not helping my wallet any
The following users liked this post:
jameshaydn (11-10-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 10:38 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
I too am on the fence but it's purely b/c i have a 997.1 and have to install more pieces and splice in wires, which I personally cannot do with any real confidence...that's my only real dilemma...and I'm not sure if my stereo guy really knows what he's doing as he hasn't installed one of these before...
It's easy. And shop that has ever run or cut a wire, can do it. It's like two splices and done.
Spastblast (11-09-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:31 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 211 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
It's easy. And shop that has ever run or cut a wire, can do it. It's like two splices and done.
Yep. Just get the pin splices and its as simple as clamping a wire. And completely reversible!

2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 01-16-2022, 02:23 PM
nellborg
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I procrastinated for about a year before I finally gave in and bought the DSC for my 2011 997.2 C2S. I didn't really understand how it worked and I was choking on the idea of paying over a thousand bucks for updated software. I even looked into buying 18" wheels with higher-sidewall tires, thinking that might offer a better ride quality, but that was way more spendy than the DSC.

Finally gave in and bought the DSC and I'm honestly shocked at how much more forgiving the ride quality is over our rough Wisconsin roads. And even a non-mechanic guy like me installed it in about 20 minutes. I got the regular/default map but am intrigued by the NYC map - I might look into it this year.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:21 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

4GTS here. Not sure if it was a placebo effect because I didn’t feel any dramatic differences but comfort mode was slightly softer. Sport I couldn’t tell a difference. I couldn’t even tell a diff between sport and comfort suspension before the DSC swap! Maybe it’s all the extra padding on my *** lol.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:49 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Buy it. Makes the car so much more enjoyable.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:09 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

I’m extremely pleased with the improved ride quality of mine on rough roads.
jameshaydn (11-10-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 11:26 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

My 997 GTS with PASM springs was transformed.

I don’t DD mine, so can avoid the worst roads in the LA area- but still, the freeway expansion joints and deep drainage gullies on secondary roads wreaked havoc in either NORMAL (soft) or SPORT (firm) modes.

OEM in SPORT mode worked very well in the twistys, when ride quality was not important. That said, any road surface irregularity mid corner would unsettle the chassis and affect grip at the most critical part of the turn…apex into exit.

The DSC box has tamed the beast.

Read the technical description, but it reacts exponentially faster, and with a wider envelope of firm/soft shock adjustment.

It also samples and controls all four shocks independently, a hardware option which the OEM PASM box did not exploit.

The ride quality is improved in both modes, and the SPORT mode is now tolerable on rougher roads and it has improved my confidence in the canyons and mountains. At the limit, rocks are my only remaining nemesis as ruts, bumps and swales mid corner do not upset the chassis like before. Rear wheels remain planted and car no longer rotates un-commanded when one or both contact patches get light or airborne (!) mid corner.

Squat under acceleration and dive under heavy braking are both reduced, likely due to the improvement in reaction speed.

I have not sampled any custom maps; really don’t feel the need as my car is both ridiculously agile and compliant now.

No other suspension mod is cheaper, as reversible and simple/quick as the DSC box.

For a grand?
Used boxes sell for the same as new.
Zero risk.
A real no brainer decision, IMHO.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 01-17-2022 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:42 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
My 997 GTS with PASM springs was transformed.

I don’t DD mine, so can avoid the worst roads in the LA area- but still, the freeway expansion joints and deep drainage gulleys on secondary roads wreaked havoc in either NORMAL (soft) or SPORT (firm) modes.

OEM in SPORT mode worked very well in the twisties, when ride quality was not important. That said, any road surface irregularity mid corner would unsettle the chassis and affect grip at the most critical part of the turn…apex into exit.

The DSC box has tamed the beast.

Read the technical description, but it reacts exponentially faster, and with a wider envelope of firm/soft shock adjustment.

It also samples and controls all four shocks independently, a hardware option which the OEM PASM box did not exploit.

The ride quality is improved in both modes, and the SPORT mode is now tolerable on rougher roads and it has improved my confidence in the canyons and mountains. At the limit, rocks are my only remaining nemesis as ruts, bumps and swales mid corner do not upset the chassis like before. Rear wheels remain planted and car no longer rotates uncommanded when one or both contact patches get light or airborne (!) mid corner.

Squat under acceleration and dive under heavy braking are both reduced, likely due to the improvement in reaction speed.

I have not sampled any custom maps; really don’t feel the need as my car is both ridiculously agile and compliant now.

No other suspension mod is cheaper, as reversible and simple/quick as the DSC box.

For a grand?
Used boxes sell for the same as new.
Zero risk.
A real no brainer decision, IMHO.
An excellent point - and this benefit is one that can be readily felt and appreciated.
frederickcook87 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:56 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 353 Posts

Not to thread jack, but since we’re on the topic anyway….. There seems to be a difference between the 997.1 and 997.2 DSC? When I see them for sale in the marketplace every once and a while, the ads always seem to distinguish by generation. So is it just that the 997.1 requires an accelerometer?
Old 01-17-2022, 10:22 AM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes, only the 997.1 needs an additional accelerometer. The 997.2 has it from the factory. The question I asked and got mixed answers is can I used a 997.2 dsc in a 997.1 but add the accelerometer… seems like it should work
Old 01-17-2022, 10:35 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by frederickcook87
Yes, only the 997.1 needs an additional accelerometer. The 997.2 has it from the factory. The question I asked and got mixed answers is can I used a 997.2 dsc in a 997.1 but add the accelerometer… seems like it should work
Yeah, I was wondering that as well. I was going to say that since they sell pretty much the same when new or used, may as well buy new and eliminate that as an potential issue. But it seems they can be found for $1K where new without the accelerometer from DSC they’re $1290. Accelerometer runs $250 from DSC, so it might be worth further investigation.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:38 AM
jb997
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smadill
NYC is a New York designed map for rough/pot holed roads, i use the same map for South Australian roads.

how can one download this NYC map?
Old 01-17-2022, 10:47 AM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
Yeah, I was wondering that as well. I was going to say that since they sell pretty much the same when new or used, may as well buy new and eliminate that as an potential issue. But it seems they can be found for $1K where new without the accelerometer from DSC they’re $1290. Accelerometer runs $250 from DSC, so it might be worth further investigation.
i caught a killer deal on a 997.2 dsc a while back (my car is a 997.1) then purchased the additional accelerometer. My build is a work in process so I haven’t got to the dsc yet. I’ll report back what I find. If I can’t get it to work I’ll sale the 997.2 and get the 997.1
Old 01-17-2022, 11:12 AM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

Anyone know of a source for a working coupon code from DSC?

Quick Reply: DSC controller -- help push me over the fence