Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Diagnosing Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 01:02 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,966 Posts

Just reading your Thread. Sorry about the issue and hope it is something simple.
All the best and keep us posted.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:00 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Have had multiple conversations with Jake and his feelings are that the pictures do show evidence of bore score and given that they are from the top it is likely worse from the bottom. We both agree that while likely my source of tapping there is the chance that it is something different and the stumble I am experiencing at 2k does create a question. Since the tapping did go away after changing the oil filter/adding oil it has to be oil pressure related, so I am confident that it is something internal.

This coupled with the scoring observed from the top, my lack of time to grind over finding the problem, and the love for my car/desire for an FSI build, I Just signed up for an FSI stage 2 build, September 30, 2022, the last spot FSI had!

I really am drawn to the 997 platform and my dream car has been a GT3, but prices just keep going up for all 997s especially GT3s, at this point a 997.1 GT3 is well over $100k and don’t come without potential future costs themselves. The other downside is no back seats and my daughter loves riding in the car. So this build should get me as much or more power than a 997.1 GT3 with back seats. While the GT3 admittedly has the high reving character, I can only only imagine the FSI build will have a character of its own.

These cars continue to become more popular over the newer cars and given the engine issues they experience, I think an FSI build will probably continue to be the desired path for owners. I have now committed to this being my “forever car” and am super excited to be fortunate enough to pursue this build!
The following 3 users liked this post by bgoetz:
8KaboveMSL (08-16-2021), Scalp_em (08-11-2021), Snakebit (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 03:06 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Have had multiple conversations with Jake and his feelings are that the pictures do show evidence of bore score and given that they are from the top it is likely worse from the bottom. We both agree that while likely my source of tapping there is the chance that it is something different and the stumble I am experiencing at 2k does create a question. Since the tapping did go away after changing the oil filter/adding oil it has to be oil pressure related, so I am confident that it is something internal.

This coupled with the scoring observed from the top, my lack of time to grind over finding the problem, and the love for my car/desire for an FSI build, I Just signed up for an FSI stage 2 build, September 30, 2022, the last spot FSI had!

I really am drawn to the 997 platform and my dream car has been a GT3, but prices just keep going up for all 997s especially GT3s, at this point a 997.1 GT3 is well over $100k and don’t come without potential future costs themselves. The other downside is no back seats and my daughter loves riding in the car. So this build should get me as much or more power than a 997.1 GT3 with back seats. While the GT3 admittedly has the high reving character, I can only only imagine the FSI build will have a character of its own.

These cars continue to become more popular over the newer cars and given the engine issues they experience, I think an FSI build will probably continue to be the desired path for owners. I have now committed to this being my “forever car” and am super excited to be fortunate enough to pursue this build!
This is great that you are happy to get a great quality rebuild but curious why you did not get a reputable local shop to just do a full scope before deciding to go all in. I mean, without seeing the actual damage, couldn’t it be possible that there isn’t really deep scoring and you could have enjoyed several years more before needing to commit to something like a full rebuild?
Old 08-11-2021, 03:19 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

I Just signed up for an FSI stage 2 build, September 30, 2022, the last spot FSI had!
Yep.. Thats a wrap for 2022 at FSI, everything is booked! That takes us 16 months into the future and looking at what 2023 will hold for component allocations, and prices.
I won't worry about that for a few months. It'll be nice tagging the line and taking a break from sales for a while. I want to ensure we can get the parts before we accept any commitments.

Once we get this engine apart we can wake this thread up and show what the bores and pistons looked like. That will happen around early June of 2022, as scheduled.

​​​​​​​Welcome aboard. Now I'll shut the hatch :-)
The following 3 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
Hootsama (08-11-2021), Optionman1 (08-11-2021), Scalp_em (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 03:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,764 Likes on 4,304 Posts

Wow, congrats. Are you planning to continue to drive it until it goes to fsi or put it up until then?
Old 08-11-2021, 03:34 PM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

While the GT3 admittedly has the high reving character, I can only only imagine the FSI build will have a character of its own.

You'll have more average TQ than a GT3 which is what we daily drivers lust after. Your kid will love that "shove in the back" at a lower RPM. I wanted a GT3-esque engine back when I signed my proposal also...the banshee screamer...I'm better off with the power and TQ being everywhere.
The following users liked this post:
Scalp_em (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 04:02 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

My delivery date for my Stage II 4.0 from FSI is expected in October 2022 so will be sending in our cars and getting them back around the same time who knows we may be back to back LOL. I can’t wait till then!
NAMR6MT (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Welcome to the Stage II club! I don't have a MT to go with the 4.0L, but PDK in Sport+ taking every shift to redline is worth the price of admittance.
Snakebit (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 04:37 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
This is great that you are happy to get a great quality rebuild but curious why you did not get a reputable local shop to just do a full scope before deciding to go all in. I mean, without seeing the actual damage, couldn’t it be possible that there isn’t really deep scoring and you could have enjoyed several years more before needing to commit to something like a full rebuild?
Sure, I want to first be clear that Jake didn’t pressure me in anyway, in fact quite the opposite, he brought up your very valid point that there is a chance that I don’t need to do this now, but would likely need to do it in the future. Even if I passed on the build, found say a bad tensioner was causing the sound, I am not the type who could ever sell the car without disclosing the existing bore scoring.

So a couple of things drove me to this:
  1. I cannot stand spending more time and money than needed only to end up at the same point, not a minute or dime more than needed. Had I taken the car to my Indy, paid $400-500 only to end up here, I would have been frustrated. Heck I could order a smaller camera and get in from the bottom or perhaps put more effort in and figure out mine works, but my guess would be that there won’t be anymore certainty gained and the only certainty would be that it IS the sound, with the scoring already observed I could never say that it ISN’T unless I found another problem.
  2. After talking with several builders including my very reputable Indy, it is clear to me that there is significant value in an FSI build, so much so that for me the only alternative would be to sell the car “as is” and move on. So given that I had the only spot available for 2022 and no pricing for 2023, I picked my path and went with it.
  3. As mentioned I do think there is currently and will be real value in an FSI build. I was fortunate enough to have bought my car for a low price and what I will have in the car and build there isn’t a single other car I would ever want to own. Next closest car I would want as an alternative is a GT4, 997 turbo 6MT, or 997.2 GTS. Plus in all instances I would possibly be buying someone else’s problem.
  4. After talking through all options with my wife including digging deeper she said to “go for it”

At the end of the day life is too short to spend under a car or overthinking a decision like this.

Last edited by bgoetz; 08-11-2021 at 04:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bgoetz:
8KaboveMSL (08-16-2021), Carreralicious (08-11-2021), Snakebit (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 04:42 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Wow, congrats. Are you planning to continue to drive it until it goes to fsi or put it up until then?

Haha, that is a tough choice! I will probably put it back together and drive it a bit to make sure there isn’t something outside of the engine causing that stumble. I don’t think there is, it would be really odd to have experienced the noise which is clearly oil pressure driven and the stumble at the exact same moment, but I don’t want to get the engine back and find out I have a bad MAF or wiring issue.

That said I will be nervous that someone will crash into me.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:43 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Optionman1
Welcome to the Stage II club! I don't have a MT to go with the 4.0L, but PDK in Sport+ taking every shift to redline is worth the price of admittance.

Thanks! Great to see so many other owners on here! I want to figure out where to get the 4.0 air box badge!!
Old 08-11-2021, 04:45 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Yep.. Thats a wrap for 2022 at FSI, everything is booked! That takes us 16 months into the future and looking at what 2023 will hold for component allocations, and prices.
I won't worry about that for a few months. It'll be nice tagging the line and taking a break from sales for a while. I want to ensure we can get the parts before we accept any commitments.

Once we get this engine apart we can wake this thread up and show what the bores and pistons looked like. That will happen around early June of 2022, as scheduled.

Welcome aboard. Now I'll shut the hatch :-)

Thanks Jake, I am happy to have snagged the last spot and really appreciate all of the time you have spent with me so far. If the process continues like this and your engines are as good as the experience has been so far, I have no doubt I will be a happy customer.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:04 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

Good decision if you had this in mind anyway. As it is you are a year and a half out so good that you fixed your (the last) slot. Also gives you some time to put aside some $. I agree, that with that engine and some years form now, lack of analog manual 911s, it will not be a money losing situation (even though that is not the motivation)

I'm just glad there are no R 4.3 engines remotely local to me (I don't think) around to test drive .....
Old 09-11-2024, 10:01 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

How are things going with the FSI engine?

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Ticking Sound