Sponsored by:

Unicorn alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 10:31 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Unicorn alert

2011 GTS manual transmission, white/black, sport crono, PSE, only 4K miles!

No affiliation.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...arrera-gts-15/
Old 11-07-2020, 10:57 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Already at $71k with five days to go. What's the over/under?
Old 11-07-2020, 10:59 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 92 Posts

Local dealer had it for sale for $114K I believe (good luck) (no sport seats)
Old 11-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Wow! $114K, that's crazy! But I assume that the reserve could be $85-90K. With BAT fee, assume it could easily go north of $90K (but others know better than I, as my "low" mileage C4S MT is no where near that stratospheric price range -- lol!
Old 11-08-2020, 08:39 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

No thanks. That's Turbo or GT3 money, both of which are more special drives and better than a GTS, whiich is essentially an X51 997.2 from a performance perspective.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
63mercedes (11-08-2020), frederickcook87 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
No thanks. That's Turbo or GT3 money, both of which are more special drives and better than a GTS, whiich is essentially an X51 997.2 from a performance perspective.
A quick cars.com search and manual 997.2 Turbos and manual 997.2 GT3s with less than 30k miles (lowest had 13k miles) were all between $120k and $145k. Low mileages examples (such as this Unicorn GTS) of either would likely be super expensive.

Have you seen what a low mileage (less than 10k miles) 997.2 manual with an X51 power kit would go for???????? Those things are super rare, especially with super low mileage.

Many actually view the 997.2 GTS as a special car and more desirable for street use than a GT3 or Turbo. Original MSRP of both the GT3 and the GTS were about the same when new so people have been choosing GTSs over GT3s for about the same money since new.

Last edited by Doug H; 11-08-2020 at 09:54 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Doug H:
Fined (11-08-2020), kru911 (11-08-2020), Liste-Renn (11-10-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 10:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
A quick cars.com search and manual 997.2 Turbos and manual 997.2 GT3s with less than 30k miles (lowest had 13k miles) were all between $120k and $145k. Low mileages examples (such as this Unicorn GTS) of either would likely be super expensive.

Have you seen what a low mileage (less than 10k miles) 997.2 manual with an X51 power kit would go for???????? Those things are super rare, especially with super low mileage.

Many actually view the 997.2 GTS as a special car and more desirable for street use than a GT3 or Turbo. Original MSRP of both the GT3 and the GTS were about the same when new so people have been choosing GTSs over GT3s for about the same money since new.
In the Turbo and GT3 platforms, the generation of 997 matters much less than with the Carrera platforms because of the Mezger engines in them, so I don't really separate those cars by generation, as DFI also doesn't have real advantages over non dfi cars either, actually less desirable IMO because of high pressure fuel pump issues, potential for carbon build up on the intake valves (though that hasn't proven to be an issue in Porsches like it has in other makes), and possibility of engine damage due to LSPI (yes, you can drive a car so that doesn't happen, but not knowing how a used car was driven, means you don't know). I'd also be less included to buy a car with that fee miles - 25k-30k is the sweet spot and in that mileage range you can find really nice examples in the $114k range unless the market has gone crazy since I don't pay very close attention to it, not being in the market as a buyer or seller currently.

The 2009 Turbo is the perfect car in this range for the updated interior but non DFI motor. Just my opinion and what I'd specifically seek out if I were in the market.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:27 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

In the Turbo and GT3 platforms, the generation of 997 matters much less than with the Carrera platforms because of the Mezger engines in them, so I don't really separate those cars by generation, as DFI also doesn't have real advantages over non dfi cars either, actually less desirable IMO because of high pressure fuel pump issues, potential for carbon build up on the intake valves (though that hasn't proven to be an issue in Porsches like it has in other makes), and possibility of engine damage due to LSPI (yes, you can drive a car so that doesn't happen, but not knowing how a used car was driven, means you don't know). I'd also be less included to buy a car with that fee miles - 25k-30k is the sweet spot and in that mileage range you can find really nice examples in the $114k range unless the market has gone crazy since I don't pay very close attention to it, not being in the market as a buyer or seller currently.

The 2009 Turbo is the perfect car in this range for the updated interior but non DFI motor. Just my opinion and what I'd specifically seek out if I were in the market.
Oh, you are comparing apples to oranges. A lot of guys also prefer old 70s and 80s NA cars and pay what is in my opinion is dumb prices for them. I say this after owning most air cooled models and variations so not a truly uninformed or biased opinion.

I have had many Mezger turbos and owned 3 DFI Turbos throughout the years. Never had problems with either and only had 1 HPFP go out on a DFI (+/- 10 DFIs). Have you owned either a Mezger or non Mezger Porsche 911 turbo? Mezger coolant lines and etc. versus DFI HPFP is a wash or favors DFI. If the DFI was truly more a problem child than the Mezger, I think this would be reflected in prices.

Have you actually heard of a 997.2 Turbo or a 997.2 NA with carbon build up? Seems like would hear about carbon build up on this board if it were a problem as there are decent amount of guys with the older, high mileage DFIs on here.

As much as I value and respect the Mezgers, I have moved forward and recognize the truly remarkable capabilities of the newer 911s and the newer engines. I think the general market reflects this as well.

Last edited by Doug H; 11-08-2020 at 10:38 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Doug H:
Feld (11-09-2020), goin2drt (11-10-2020), Jaws1 (11-08-2020), Liste-Renn (11-10-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

This particular 997.2 GTS is in excellent condition and perhaps someone on this forum will be tempted to be the next owner. Extremely low mileage..and as was mentioned earlier, no sport seats, but more $$ can solve that! It's bound to keep appreciating, and likely to go for a high premium (4 more days..and if it clears the reserve, we'll soon find out).
Old 11-08-2020, 01:42 PM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Dealers dreaming at 114k. It must be the all things porsche/car NYC people ha aha ha. Who ever buys that is most likely going to fit it somewhere in a collection and rarely drive it. I probably would too with it being that few miles miles. You seen theres a guy in the mart asking 55K for a base model manual 09 with barely any options and 35k miles... either they're both slightly off on the numbers or that's where it's really heading. For that kind of money I'd get something way cooler. If we're guessing on the number, I'd say 88k give or take 3k-4k in either direction.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:25 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I bought a 2009 turbo with 33k miles 18 months ago and love it. It wasn’t that much more than a 997 gts would have been. I couldn’t be happier. Resale doesn’t matter as much to me as having a great car to drive a lot. I completely agree with you.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:56 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

This 33k mile car just went for what I thought was the high end the range at $80k...
https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...rsche-911-gts/

It's a shame to see one w 4k miles. Means someone didn't enjoy it and they are such a great spec.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 06:03 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

I like you Petza914, but I don’t understand why people, in this case you, insist on stating your personal bias as if it was fact. Especially coming from you, with the oddball cars you own like the Cayenne with the wide body fiberglass kit and the 928 with the convertible conversion. Those are very unique cars that very few people would be interested in owning, much less spending their own money on. So they show that your opinions about cars are unusual and not representative of the typical buyer. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but please stop stating it as fact. The market, as well as professional automotive journalists have established that the 997.2 GTS is a very special and desirable 911, and worth a significant premium. You don’t have to agree or even understand that. But it’s a FACT. Personally I wouldn’t own a 911 Turbo because I don’t like the way they drive and I also don’t care for the styling with the large, rather poorly integrated side vents. And the GT3, which I love, is not suitable for daily use. Since I choose to daily drive my dream cars, the 997.2 GTS is perfect for me and in my opinion, the best water cooled 911. And before you suggest otherwise, I have driven most 911s including the 991.2 GT2 RS and can afford any 911 I want. So for me, price is not a deciding factor. A smaller, great driving 911 that does everything I want, looks great and is a boat to drive, is all that matters to me.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

How many times in my post did I say "in my opinion" or IMO? How someone interprets that as stating facts, I'm not sure.

I also stated that the Porsches don't seem to have carbon buildup like other makes do in their DFI motors - seems we have a reading comprehension issue here LOL.

I don't really care whether anyone likes or wants to own my cars - for one, the odds of them ever being for sale and not just being passed down to my son are extremely rare. As long as they're insured for what I have invested in them, that's the only valuation that matters to me. I own them because they're the cars I want to own for various reasons, but one major one is that because they're unique and don't look like anyone else's, not because I think they're desirable to anyone else, even though they seem to be, as I get complements on them wherever they're parked, and people say the Cayenne is the best looking one they've ever seen - again, that's really nice, but not especially important to me.

Ill leave you goys to sort out various values and discuss the merits of the GTS vs the turbo vs the GT3. I know what I'd buy if I had to replace my RUF - a 2009 Turbo or another RUF car.

Last edited by Petza914; 11-10-2020 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:28 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Again Petza914, I have no beef with you and have enjoyed your contribution to this forum for many years. Just suggesting that someone who clearly has unusual, and very unique taste in cars, is not necessarily going to understand why so many others view the GTS as the very desirable and valuable 911 model that it is. You stated that you would buy a Turbo or GT3 for similar money instead. But GTS buyers don’t want a Turbo or GT3. So really it gets old when people who do t own a GTS and have probably never even drivers them, feel a need to state that opinion. Often times as if it is a fact.

Quick Reply: Unicorn alert