Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 12:35 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Question regarding the microphone: I thought the the new PCCM+ had an internal microphone (the small notch cutout on the top left of the face of the unit) and if that's the case, what is the point of running an external mic? Someone posted a link the other week with an aftermarket mic that can be mounted in the factory location on the top of the steering colum, but is an external mic placed there really that much closer to you and how much better does it sound? I don't talk on my phone much, especially in my 911, so if there is an internal mic on the new PCCM+ that doesn't require the included external mic, I'm inclined to just use the internal mic. Does anyone happen to know if that's possible?
Old 12-09-2022, 01:13 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Question regarding the microphone: I thought the the new PCCM+ had an internal microphone (the small notch cutout on the top left of the face of the unit) and if that's the case, what is the point of running an external mic? Someone posted a link the other week with an aftermarket mic that can be mounted in the factory location on the top of the steering colum, but is an external mic placed there really that much closer to you and how much better does it sound? I don't talk on my phone much, especially in my 911, so if there is an internal mic on the new PCCM+ that doesn't require the included external mic, I'm inclined to just use the internal mic. Does anyone happen to know if that's possible?
I think I read in one of the FAQs or the manual that the new external mic (which I believe it comes with) is directional and results in much better quality (for you to be heard by the other end of a call or by your phone smart assistant).
Old 12-09-2022, 01:14 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I’ll add that I don’t think the Enfig mic will work. The PCCM+ mic, as far as I can tell from the pictures, does not use a standard mic jack.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:46 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
I’ll add that I don’t think the Enfig mic will work. The PCCM+ mic, as far as I can tell from the pictures, does not use a standard mic jack.
Hopefully, the new one it comes with is designed to be placed in the original position, behind the wheel under the cover. I guess we'll find out once someone posts notes and photos after their install. I'm holding off on buying decisions until after we hear from some early adopters about the mic, if there's a working adapter to gain wireless CarPlay, what kind of multi adapter might be available to support a backup camera, etc etc etc.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

check the 996 pccm+ manual + installation videos online - 99% is is the same mic system, as well as the same rear android harnesses for accessories such a gps, mic etc
Old 12-09-2022, 06:06 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Just got an email from Suncoast advertising the PCCM for the 997 -- they are taking names for a "waitlist" and expect delivery March 2023 "or earlier."
Old 12-09-2022, 07:24 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
Just got an email from Suncoast advertising the PCCM for the 997 -- they are taking names for a "waitlist" and expect delivery March 2023 "or earlier."

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku997pccm.html
Old 12-09-2022, 07:29 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JasonKM
MYW, was this a prototype that you are testing? interested in the back story here and if you have any insights are to when we might see this in North America (including Canada)
Yes it is. its the second prototype with the newest OS. It also has a new switched right dial (4 functions vs the prev prototype supporting 2 functions only).

The back story is that I designed it half a year ago - as I have trouble-shooted almost all android pcm problems (front/rear cams, radio antenna, canBus etc etc) for the first gen (no button) android 997/987 pcm.

Given this I was presented the oppournity to design a with-buttons PCM, so I did exactly that studying the g1 android pcm, the oem 997.1 pcm 2.0, and the 996 pccm+.

The delay issues is due is for me and the reSeller trying to find certain workarounds - as the mold company ignored key elements of the design (ie. making enough room for larger dials as an example) - and we're wasting time trying to find shorter, stubbier dials that fit the limited space we have to work with (while not going into custom fabrication) in efforts to keep things looking/blending in as oem as possible. All this will be fixed from ground up via the next mold / iteration of the pcm, but that wont be until another year if not 2.

The other issue is trying to get that volcano grey 99% match.

We're trying our best to make it perfect (or as oem as possible) out of the box (for an aftermarket device).

Last edited by myw; 12-09-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carfan1
I'll have to explain this to an installer. How do I go about finding a "standard android PCM harness that has USB ports?"
I need to see an official photo of the back of the 997 pccm+ first before even seeing if my idea can even be explored.

I have to see if they are using the standard android radio rear harness pin setup or not on the rear of the unit. If so there are two different 2 and 3 usb input harnesses that plug into a standard android radio. They may fit into the porsche 997 pccm+ as it is essentially a Chinese android radio. Now even if the harnesses fit, there is no guarantee that the USB input jacks will receive any power or work, as the porsche OS skin very likely has disabled them.

But the exact same thing may apply in plugging in a standard android camera harness complete with reverse trigger cable into the back of the pccm+ , if not disabled potentially those features can be unlocked.

It does looks like they are using the standard android harness for the external mic jack, from what I see in the photos.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:13 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It’s easy enough to change the jack plug on the Enfig to the PCCM+ connector 😉 Ideally by finding a plug like that, otherwise by reusing the one from the kit.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:22 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Question regarding the microphone: I thought the the new PCCM+ had an internal microphone (the small notch cutout on the top left of the face of the unit) and if that's the case, what is the point of running an external mic?
Yes, there’s an internal mic, so you don’t have to use the external one if you don’t want to

The big question of course is what would sound better — internal mic, included mic on top of the steering column, or Enfig in the factory location. That’s a lot less critical in a 911; in my Boxster, microphone quality is the difference between usable, and totally useless because of the wind noise.

Mind you, while running up a mountain road with the top down, I’m not inclined to pick up the phone anyway. But I could make a similar argument about having music on, when I prefer listening to that flat six behind me
Old 12-10-2022, 05:08 AM
hehe
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan1
I'll have to explain this to an installer. How do I go about finding a "standard android PCM harness that has USB ports?"
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ey0H0Ux
(select 4 pin/6 pin usb connector)

This is what you would need.

Last edited by hehe; 12-10-2022 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:48 AM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

And that would support Carplay/Android Auto?
Old 12-10-2022, 11:41 AM
hehe
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a connector on the backside of the PCCM+ unit for the plugs I linked.

But that is no guarantee it will function with the firmware settings of the PCCM+.

But the Alieexpress plugs are cheap, so I guess it’s worth a shot.

Last edited by hehe; 12-10-2022 at 12:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PowerFlower (12-11-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 11:42 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hehe
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ey0H0Ux
(select 4 pin/6 pin usb connector)

This is what you would need.
damn - i never new they had single usb harnesses.

i have a few spares @ home with 2 usb inputs - 20 pin

there is also a standard 6 pin harness that supports - BACKUP CAM rca, FRONT cam rca, reverse Trigger input, power cable (for cameras), ground cable (for cameras). It looks like it will fit in the pccm+, whether it will actually work... who will be the first to test?

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request