Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you put window tints on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 11:35 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Did you put window tints on your car?

Hi, I wonder if anyone has experience implementing window tints on the car. Basically wanted to reduce heat in the card during sunny days in summer.

I know that different states have different rules on this: some with high tolerance on level of blackout some don't, I am in New York I think it can go as low as 70% ?

If I wanted to do that what's the best means to implement? Just go ask an indy body shop?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:58 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 107 Posts

My last car had 50% (rather light) all the way around (including windshield). And I loved it. Just a classy smokey even shade.

current car is a bit darker (40%)? With 70% on the windshield. Looks good, but not as classy.

either way I like the heat and UV reduction a lot.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

The previous curator of my car had a fairly dark window tint installed. I have never been crazy about how dark it is but haven’t wanted to spend the money to have it removed/ replaced with a lighter product. It has held up really well and it does a surprisingly effective job with reducing heat on hot days and preventing the leather from exec heat and sun. Additionally, it is actually dark enough I don’t have to wear sun glasses depending on the time of day. Cheers
Old 07-31-2020, 01:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by ciphercong
Hi, I wonder if anyone has experience implementing window tints on the car. Basically wanted to reduce heat in the card during sunny days in summer.

I know that different states have different rules on this: some with high tolerance on level of blackout some don't, I am in New York I think it can go as low as 70% ?

If I wanted to do that what's the best means to implement? Just go ask an indy body shop?

Thanks.
To your first question, tint is basically a necessity in Florida and I would guess most southern states. Probably further north too during the summer months for that matter. Makes a huge difference.

Was a recent thread or post on the same subject and I replied with this link: https://www.tinting-laws.com/tint-darkness-example/

It has a nice little tool where you can slide back and forth and get an idea of what each respective percentage of tint will look like. I think I have 40% on my car which works wonders but doesn't make the windows look black
The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
63mercedes (07-31-2020), jberilla (07-19-2023)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,454 Likes on 4,115 Posts

You can achieve essentially the same heat reduction of a very dark classic tint with a much lighter shade of the newer ceramic tints so don't have to have that dark window look for it to be effective. My next tint will be a photochromic one where it's darker during the day when the sun is out and it's hotter then lighter when it's dark out to make driving at night easier.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:37 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

My car came with really dark Huper Optik. It is nice stuff but I am not a fan of dark tint even in SoCal.

On my B8 Avant, I had Llumar F1 Pinnacle 50% all around.

Super perfect smoky look.
I think when I do my 911 again, I am just going to do something like 3M crystalline Air 80 all around. That is what I had on the windshield of the B8 Avant and it was close to clear.

Right now, I have no tint, no film but if I had to daily drive in summer, that would change real quick in LA.

I oddly miss this car but it was soooo boring. Maybe the RS6 Avants will have the best of both worlds?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep in mind that tint goes two ways. At night, it is harder to see details through the darker glass.

Also, you will have to disable your rear window defroster when you go with the high metallic tint films--or it will short out. So, no more de-fogging.
The following users liked this post:
jberilla (07-19-2023)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:38 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

I live in Florida and wouldn't consider tinting my windows....like nothing about that look but I'm 107 years old so very old school!

Tom
Old 08-01-2020, 12:42 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm in Texas so yeah, but I have to admit when I see pics of 997s/911s without tints I think the clear glass looks better. Somehow highlights the shape and lines better. I might open my wallet for the transparent heat-blocking ceramic tint next go 'round.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:01 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

The 997.2 I bought came from California and had window tint, which I removed. I've never liked it.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Balr14
The 997.2 I bought came from California and had window tint, which I removed. I've never liked it.
What color is your car? Everything related to colors is subjective and window tint probably falls into that category. Just another opinion but I think the darker the color of the car the better the tint blends in. For example, the 40% I have blends in nicely on my black car without creating an all black appearance but I can see how it might almost clash with a white car.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:21 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
What color is your car? Everything related to colors is subjective and window tint probably falls into that category. Just another opinion but I think the darker the color of the car the better the tint blends in. For example, the 40% I have blends in nicely on my black car without creating an all black appearance but I can see how it might almost clash with a white car.
It is blue. But, my reasons for disliking tint is for safety... it may obstruct vision, especially at night. I am hearing impaired, so I try to maximize what I see to help compensate. My hearing aids don't work well in a car.
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Sagers (06-03-2024)
Old 08-01-2020, 02:43 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Keep in mind that tint goes two ways. At night, it is harder to see details through the darker glass.
This is a good point. Even with the clear, just FYI.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Balr14
It is blue. But, my reasons for disliking tint is for safety... it may obstruct vision, especially at night. I am hearing impaired, so I try to maximize what I see to help compensate. My hearing aids don't work well in a car.
Understand. Sounds like the tint you removed was pretty dark. The 40% on my car has minimal to next to no effect on outside vision. But then.....what's next to no effect to me may be something completely different to somebody else.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:05 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

I don't want to be the guy commenting on every comment on this thread but this is something I think about a lot. I think MAYBE it is because I wear polarized glasses but there is a difference between the 3M Crystalline 90 or the Llumar Air 80 and OEM (whatever is on the window stock) and it IS tolerable but there is some light distortion and it is clearly noticeable. That being said, I have had a bunch of different tints from crap that turns purple in a year to the higher end ceramics but I have been hesitating on my 911 because it just looks so crispy without tint to me. As @sandwedge says above though, this is all super subjective.
Nevertheless:

The following 2 users liked this post by jamesinger:
Anthony Sagers (06-03-2024), tegraphile (08-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Did you put window tints on your car?