Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you put window tints on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 12:37 AM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I also really like the asthetics of no tint, but I finally had the windows tinted.

I ended up getting Llumar ceramic 35% all around. Sort of wishing I went a little lighter, but the heat rejection is amazing. At the end of the day, my most joyful experience is from inside the car and not having my left arm burnt and awkwardly tanned is worth it.

Last edited by tegraphile; 08-06-2020 at 12:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (08-08-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
I'm in south florida and it is a must. I had a 13 percent 3m metallic on an older jaguar and my current truck. Sitting in a green house in the middle of traffic is one thing I dread. No matter how good the AC is, it will never cool a cabin in 100 degree weather without clouds. Even if it's cool in the car the the direct sunlight will heat up whatever arm and leg is exposed. I think it's a must. The level of light transmission is up to you. Plus the leather and other materials will last longer without all the UV exposure. Just my 2 cents.
Already said something to this effect but left something out. Some seem to be under the impression that you have to turn your windows close to black for the tint to be effective, changing the appearance of the car drastically. Not the case at all. Even a light tint with a no more than a subtle change to the color of the windows makes a huge difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
63mercedes (08-08-2020), anewman (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 03:20 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

I don't think it has been mentioned, but one of the benefits of a light window tint is the reduction of glare, especially when the sun is coming in on the driver's side window. I have 35% tint on both my 4Runner and 911, and I almost never need to use my visor for the side window on either car, and the visors on the 911 are almost worthless IMO. My 911 has the Formula One Stratos film and it does an excellent job of keeping the heat low in the car. It's a fantastic product and worth the price.

Regarding nighttime driving, I don't have any problem seeing through the tint. The auto dimming mirrors also only do so much. I'll go as far as to say that a light tint actually improves nighttime driving. I still have great rearward and peripheral vision with the tint and get less headlight glare coming in, even with the auto dimming mirrors.

Regarding estethics, that is obviously a personal preference. I do like the look of a clean, no tint car. I also think a light tint (not limo tint) looks sharp.

Looking into a car with tint with around a 30% or 35% tint makes it look dark, especially with a dark interior color. However, if you're in the car looking out, it really isn't that dark. In the pics below of my car, it was a bright day and you're basically looking at two tinted windows (you can't see through both windows through to the other side) from the outside. But if you look at the second two pictures on the same day and time looking out of the car, the window tint is almost imperceivable.

The following 2 users liked this post by G.I.G.:
jberilla (07-19-2023), sierra73 (07-17-2023)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:16 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

So i got my car back today new front clip clear bra, windows tinted the windshield 70% the rest 55% on the drive back from the shop 45 mins noticeably cooler. going for a drive with the missies tomorrow. this was and 8 month ordeal mainly because i had the front clip resprayed

Ob917 (07-18-2023)
Old 08-07-2020, 10:04 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Shiny
Old 08-12-2020, 02:07 AM
crazy997
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Huperoptik 40 and 60 on the windshield. It doesnt look too dark, in my opinion. When I was commuting the car was parked outside at times and did a great job of keeping the heat down. I drove in 110+ degree weather last week and the car was definitely still hot getting in after being parked (I forgot my sun shield), but cooled off comfortably within minutes.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:48 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine is 40%. See through enough that I won’t get hassled but dark enough to block some of the sun. I think it compliments the top well. I’m not a fan of “Limo tint” though. So 40% is a nice compromise
sierra73 (08-28-2023)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:54 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

A few questions for those in the know...

- Is there a well recognized "best" ceramic tint manufacturer or two (or three)?
- Is ceramic tinting removable without tearing out your rear defrost or any other side-effects?

Thanks for your patience with my nubie-like questions.

Bob ×
Old 08-12-2020, 11:36 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by VT Blue
A few questions for those in the know...

- Is there a well recognized "best" ceramic tint manufacturer or two (or three)?
- Is ceramic tinting removable without tearing out your rear defrost or any other side-effects?

Thanks for your patience with my nubie-like questions.

Bob ×
I chose the LLumar FormulaOne Stratos based on A) reviews and B) the tint shop that was highly recommended to me caries LLumar. I've also heard good things about 3M and Huper Optik. Regardless of brand, choose a high quality ceramic tint if you want more heat reduction.

I don't think removing tint will hurt the defrost wiring. When/if I have to have tint removed, I would have it removed professionally by a tint shop. It wouldn't cost much and they would do a much better job than I could.
VT Blue (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 11:40 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Great, thanks @G.I.G.. I've always thought I would not get tint but some of the examples I'm seeing are pretty outstanding and not Miami Vice.

Thank you.

Bob ×
Old 08-12-2020, 12:08 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Great, thanks @G.I.G.. I've always thought I would not get tint but some of the examples I'm seeing are pretty outstanding and not Miami Vice.

Thank you.

Bob ×
You're welcome. And like others have mentioned, you could always go with a clear ceramic tint to get some of the UV and heat reduction benefits while maintaining a factory clear look. I just happen to prefer the glare reduction and the smoky look of a light tint.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:30 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

My car came pretty dark on the sides and rear, but here in TX it's welcomed.

Anthony Sagers (06-03-2024)
Old 08-12-2020, 01:40 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
You're welcome. And like others have mentioned, you could always go with a clear ceramic tint to get some of the UV and heat reduction benefits while maintaining a factory clear look. I just happen to prefer the glare reduction and the smoky look of a light tint.

That's a great idea, and something I had not thought of. If it makes a real, material difference, I'm good with clear or a light tint.

Thx!

Bob
anewman (08-14-2020)
Old 09-08-2021, 05:57 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

UPDATE

(no tint)

(with tint: llumar stratos 70% on ALL windows)

I would say the tint looks darker here because it is dusk but in direct sunlight, it is pretty clear. I still would rather no tint but I feel like even with the AC on blast, I need tint once the temps are over 100. I drove up from LA to Tahoe area 2x this summer and from June to August, it was at or over 100 even after the sun went down and even early(ish) in the morning. It is just an oven in the Central Valley.

A couple comments:
The Llumar Stratos 70 is better than the Air 80 or Crystalline 90 on the windshield for sure. It is WAY more clear with less distortion. This is my 5th car done with windshield tint.
No tint shop can get this stuff perfect. I feel too OCD to go back and complain but there are 2 dust specs the size of a bic pen point on the rear quarter windows. I can only see them if I look but they are annoying to me. Luckily, all windows I look out of are perfect.
In relation to the dot matrix cr@p on the windows—Even with Air 80, Crystalline 90, and Llumar Stratos 70, you will get the silverish ring around the window. This makes me want to rip the **** off every time I look at it but as mentioned above, I need tint to not cook. When I am working in person, it is common for me to drive into the sun for an hour and/or to have it coming directly into my driver side window, so I just had to cave and get it because I am driving more now between work and caring for my mom...
Last, I would be interested in anyone who has the Xpel Ceramic. I think it is the only high end brand I have not tried. I tend to stick to Crystalline or Llumar Stratos but I am open to the Xpel. I will be getting another EV by the new year and with EVs tint is WAY more important for range after owning a Leaf, an i3, and a Bolt. Suing the HVAC less = more range, so the heat rejection has a strong impact on that.

Last edited by jamesinger; 09-08-2021 at 06:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jamesinger:
ewc (09-08-2021), VT Blue (07-15-2023)
Old 09-08-2021, 06:40 PM
AmericanSuccess
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good. Can't decide what to do on this myself. Hoped there might be some black 911 pics in this thread

Quick Reply: Did you put window tints on your car?