Sponsored by:

Did you put window tints on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 03:06 AM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I feel like I'm reading a thread where everything is written in Chinese! I don't get this at all....you couldn't give me a free tint...nothing attractive about it in my book....and I live in Southwest Florida which has been steaming lately.
I have to agree
The following users liked this post:
TommyV44 (07-21-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 01:19 PM
TBK911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tegraphile
I also really like the asthetics of no tint, but I finally had the windows tinted.

I ended up getting Llumar ceramic 35% all around. Sort of wishing I went a little lighter, but the heat rejection is amazing. At the end of the day, my most joyful experience is from inside the car and not having my left arm burnt and awkwardly tanned is worth it.

I'm thinking of going with same tint brand and %. Are you happy with the color and quality?
Old 08-28-2023, 03:20 PM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone in the DFW have a shop recommendation for getting this done? I've been literally sunburned through the windows on road trips this year.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:27 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

^^^ this is why I got it only. However, with 70+ it looks clear in most situations.
IDK where there is a spot but I came to comment because companies like 3M and Llumar certify shops, so if you go on their site, there is probably a list of guaranteed/waranteed shops in your area for using 3M and Llumar. I am not sure but I assume Xpel and stuff like Huper Optik are similar. These companies make people get certified to do their tints and wraps.
dlascoskie (08-28-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 08:46 AM
SSMOKE-U
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 71 Posts

I've got 20% XPEL Ceramic XR Plus on the sides and back and 35% XR Plus on the windshield. Love the UV protection and heat rejection.
Old 09-03-2023, 03:19 AM
Johnny.Boy
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a fan of no tint on any of my cars, but being sunburned on several roadtrips I had to get it done as well as to protect the interior. I ended up tinting all the windows on my 997.1 with Suntek CIR film: 80 for the front windshield and 70 for the front/side windows and rear windshield. Like @jamesinger , I set my climate control to AUTO 20°C/68°F and it's a very comfortable drive.

Attached below is a cloudy pic for illustrative purposes.

And here's an overhead pic with my brother's car(no tint) in bright sunlight.

Last edited by Johnny.Boy; 09-03-2023 at 03:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Johnny.Boy:
997ajk (09-05-2023), jamesinger (09-03-2023), vg247 (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 04:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I feel like I'm reading a thread where everything is written in Chinese! I don't get this at all....you couldn't give me a free tint...nothing attractive about it in my book....and I live in Southwest Florida which has been steaming lately.

Hi Tom. I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you on anything but first time for everything as we're told. We live some 125 miles away from each other so same outside heat issue. I find the tint a huge relief from stark Florida sunshine through untinted windows. That said, I can see or at least guess where you're coming from. "Dark" windows on a blue car sort of disrupts the overall scheme where dark windows on a black car kind of blends in while also serving a purpose.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:47 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Hi Tom. I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you on anything but first time for everything as we're told. We live some 125 miles away from each other so same outside heat issue. I find the tint a huge relief from stark Florida sunshine through untinted windows. That said, I can see or at least guess where you're coming from. "Dark" windows on a blue car sort of disrupts the overall scheme where dark windows on a black car kind of blends in while also serving a purpose.
Hi Jonas! Good to hear from you! To each his own, right my friend!
Old 09-03-2023, 03:23 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 100 Posts

I'll add my 2 cents to this thread.

Having been in Arizona for 20+ years, most cars here are tinted. When I first moved here, I extensively researched tint, primarily for heat reduction, and Huper Optik (Drei) was I put on my 2006 911 (and on a couple of my Lexus). They make tints for commertial buildings as well. Moving forward, went to 3M crystalline on a Ranger Rover I bought in 2011, and then went to Spectra Photosync on the last Lexus I bought for my wife.

More than anything, the key is the installer. There is high variability in the quality of install. The other problem that I realized over the years is certain installers have monopolized certain tints in the Valley. As such, you can only get it at certain places.

Most of these tints are all really good, but the tint with the best IR (heat) reduction is Spectra Photosync. The last installer I used has all the usual tints, and he has them mounted on glass, side by side, and then has a heat lamp that you can pass behind each glass and then touch, or pass your hand infront of the glass and it is extemely easy to feel the difference. Then you can pick the tint base on light transmission and color of tint (for example the Drei has a bluish tint color). The last 2 cars I bought were already tinted, and they are not as good IR reduction (including the Xpel that is on my GT3). Probably not worth removing the tint and re-installing with what I want however.

For me, clarity and heat reduction are the main priorities for tint, and as such Spectra Photosync is my current go to tint. The only negative with this tint is that it is significantly more expensive than all the other tints, but you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Deven; 09-03-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:48 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Received 349 Likes on 169 Posts

I just did my windows and personally I think it’s to dark so I might pull off the sides and go lighter

Old 09-04-2023, 05:23 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Neun81
Thanks JamesSinger for the detailed info and comparison photo of your old Audi.

Sorry but I couldn't help a slight LOL on your comment about friend that has black vinyl wrapped read windows to protect his kids from sun. That is indeed extreme. Helicopter parent extraordinaire? Maybe the lack of safety of having no visibility (i.e., blind spots) out of rear portion of the vehicle should be a larger concern for the safety of his kids. Aka missing forest for the trees. Not judging. Any parent is always trying to protect their kids is as best as possible, but there is a point of conflicting goals based on probabilistic results.

You've basically confirmed what I already suspected. Whatever tint VLT level I choose, I had already decided on Stratos due to the performance specs and YT videos comparing heat rejection etc of Stratos vs. others. At this point it's down to the aesthetics of the 50 vs. 70 (i.e., darker tint or virtually "clear" tint). With the incoming GTS 4.0 being Gentian Blue with all black interior I've reached analysis paralysis with the potentially slightly higher light/heat/glare rejection with 50 vs. the aesthetics of the virtually clear windows with slightly lower light/heat/glare rejection of 70. The TSER difference on Stratos 50 vs. 70 is 10% or less. The largest differences are obviously VLT at 20% reduction in 50 vs. 70 ( VLT 56 vs. VLT 69) and glare reduction at approximately 75% (37 vs. 21).

Anyone that has a Genetian blue (or similar blue) with or without a black interior have photos comparing a 50 tint and/or a 70 tinted car?

Thanks in advance all!
Totally irrelevant at this point but I teased my friend about this and he said it is euro "privacy glass" that he also put tint on for more thermal/UV rejection. We all have OCD and should create a support group, lol. ...So NOT vinyl as I thought when I saw it. It is just blacked out windows completely though. Assumptions were made.

not his but looks like this

Last edited by jamesinger; 09-04-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:21 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

I’ve never paid for tint. 3 cars I’ve owned have come with it (including the cpo 911). 2 were pretty dark and probably ‘illegal’. The one on the 911 I like just don’t know what percentage it is.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:27 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

If you don’t know the % it’s too dark.. part of me doesnt like dark windows on a 911… like I said above I tinted mine and it’s too dark…
Old 09-05-2023, 06:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3twenty10
If you don’t know the % it’s too dark.. part of me doesnt like dark windows on a 911… like I said above I tinted mine and it’s too dark…
If I understand it right, the % number reefers to the amount of light the tint allows through the windows. So its confusing to many (including me) since it's easy to assume that the higher the percentage of the tint the darker it gets when it's actually the exact opposite. For example, 30% tint allows 30% light through the window while 50% brings 50% light through the window. At least this is how it was explained to me by the shop that dis my last tint.
Anthony Sagers (06-03-2024)
Old 09-05-2023, 07:59 AM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by sandwedge
If I understand it right, the % number reefers to the amount of light the tint allows through the windows. So its confusing to many (including me) since it's easy to assume that the higher the percentage of the tint the darker it gets when it's actually the exact opposite. For example, 30% tint allows 30% light through the window while 50% brings 50% light through the window. At least this is how it was explained to me by the shop that dis my last tint.
your correct… 5% would be like looking into the black hole. I think mine is 15%. I might go 30% on the sides and leave the back

Last edited by GT3twenty10; 09-05-2023 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Did you put window tints on your car?