Sponsored by:

Rare 6k mile GTS on BAT closing 4/22/20

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 05:07 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Rare 6k mile GTS on BAT closing 4/22/20

Wanted to post here on rennlist as I know these cars are pretty rare and there are members always looking:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...arrera-gts-12/

The following 2 users liked this post by jvmax:
myw (04-20-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 07:30 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Yeah, that GTS has been for sale several times, always at a very high price. May 2016 at $98,995, June 2019 at $83,888 and now on BAT. It has several very rare, but unimportant options which drove the MSRP up. Most people won't want the costly but silly features. At the right price, if you can live with black, it would at least be a low miles GTS coupe.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:38 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Nice example but PDK kills it.
The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (04-22-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 11:13 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

I have to laugh at the attitude every time I see a post where someone says "PDK kills it" or something similar. I understand some people still like the old technology. I was one of them until the last 2 years. As a high performance driving instructor, I can no longer defend old transmissions against PDK. It is simply superior in every way and allows anyone to be a better, and faster, driver. I agree that for around town cruising, a manual is more fun. No doubt. But PDK is the better transmission, and it is also far more desirable and a much, much better seller. The market wants PDK, NOT old school manuals. So when a manual transmission fan boy trash talks a car with PDK, it makes them look ignorant. If they simply say something like "I prefer an old style manual", then that is their preference, and again, I understand it. But many here insist on pushing this narrative that PDK sucks and any 911 without an old style clutch is a worthless pile of junk, and that is simply not true. In fact, an argument could in fact be made that any 911 without PDK was worthless since PDK performs superior, is clearly the transmission of choice for the vast majority of buyers and is the only transmission that allows Porsche 911s to keep up with cars like Ferrari in areas of performance. It's fine to have an opinion, but either ignorant or naive to suggest that your opinion is the only one that counts.
The following 9 users liked this post by ThomasCarreraGTS:
63mercedes (04-22-2020), Fined (04-21-2020), KLS (04-23-2020), lamacan (04-24-2020), linderpat (04-21-2020), myw (04-21-2020), Ranger520 (04-21-2020), SkipABeat (04-22-2020), yesyoucan (04-23-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-20-2020, 11:55 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

yes, I have the same thoughts as ThomasCarreraGTS, pdk was the latest and greatest transmission for the 997 series. And IMHO the 997 is the best looking modern 911. Lastly, the GTS was the most powerful (non gt) 911 with a back seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by jvmax:
lamacan (04-24-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (04-20-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
I have to laugh at the attitude every time I see a post where someone says "PDK kills it" or something similar. I understand some people still like the old technology. I was one of them until the last 2 years. As a high performance driving instructor, I can no longer defend old transmissions against PDK. It is simply superior in every way and allows anyone to be a better, and faster, driver. I agree that for around town cruising, a manual is more fun. No doubt. But PDK is the better transmission, and it is also far more desirable and a much, much better seller. The market wants PDK, NOT old school manuals. So when a manual transmission fan boy trash talks a car with PDK, it makes them look ignorant. If they simply say something like "I prefer an old style manual", then that is their preference, and again, I understand it. But many here insist on pushing this narrative that PDK sucks and any 911 without an old style clutch is a worthless pile of junk, and that is simply not true. In fact, an argument could in fact be made that any 911 without PDK was worthless since PDK performs superior, is clearly the transmission of choice for the vast majority of buyers and is the only transmission that allows Porsche 911s to keep up with cars like Ferrari in areas of performance. It's fine to have an opinion, but either ignorant or naive to suggest that your opinion is the only one that counts.

Well said. We all have our preferences and in this case the PDK is preferred over the old manual by an 80% to 20% margin going by the last sales numbers I saw. Has to be a reason for that. Porsche builds what they know will sell. Not what a small minority of buyers lust for. And it's not just to keep up with Ferrari but with Lambo too. Neither of the two offer a manual option - period - anymore due to lack of demand.
ThomasCarreraGTS (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 05:59 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Hopefully it'll be snatched up by someone who will own it and not just resell it. Nice bit of kit, colors aside.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I prefer an old style manual.

PDK is faster, yep, but less engaging to drive. If I tracked the car or sat in traffic with it often, I'd probably buy a PDK but those are the only 2 use cases for me where I'd consider it. The reason that manuals demand a premium over PDK cars is exactly because 80% (or some number) of the new cars are ordered with PDKs so the laws of supply and demand drive the value of the manuals higher in value.

The low mileage and the fact that it's a GTS are about the only thing that car has going for it. The color scheme with the tan and silver interior trim isn't very attractive and it doesn't have sport seats or PCCBs. Not for me and based on the number of times it's been offered for sale, not for many others at the price they're trying to get for it either.
The following 4 users liked this post by Petza914:
Arctic997 (04-23-2020), mjsporsche (04-22-2020), PierW (04-21-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:36 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Haha, any time anyone mentions manual it turns into the same debate with same people saying same thing. Not saying we shouldn’t, it is just funny.

I think the gist of Bobby911s comment is this car likely won’t bring premium value because it is a pdk and this car is not really rare or ultra desireable with pdk.

I agree only because there are so few manuals in existence so it’s not really a cwhich one is best, but which one is more valuable or rare.

I think both the pdk and SB interior with comfort seats hurt the desirability of this car. That said it is super low miles and some purchasers like blk/SB andcwant pdk so you never know.
ThomasCarreraGTS (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:56 AM
PierW
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Let me start by saying I haven't driven a PDK, so I do not have a basis for comparison. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut until I have, at least if I was going to post an opinion on the merits of both.

Having a black over SB (absent the aluminum bits) wasn't my ideal color combo to be certain, but my new-to-me C4S Cab MT checked all of the other boxes (plus the fact that the price was great and the PPI came back very solid). Like Petza, I drive for enjoyment, not necessarily to wring the last 400 RPM out of the engine and hit the perfect shift-point...though there is definitely enjoyment in doing my best to hit those points! It's a cab, so I can't track it And the "keeping up with the Ferrari's and Lambo's" just isn't going to happen in my typical driving around central Florida.

All that being said, a .2 GTS such as this one, at the right price, would seem to be worth the leap.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:56 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I see Petza and said basically the same thing about this GTS. I was going to say it yesterday, but didn’t want give dude’s sale efforts too much of a negative vibe. That said, calling this thing rare except for mileage is disengenous. I suppose someone might buy into that hype and pay more though.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:45 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

GLWTS. Nice collection!

Originally Posted by jvmax
Wanted to post here on rennlist as I know these cars are pretty rare and there are members always looking:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...arrera-gts-12/

Old 04-21-2020, 05:35 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I wouldn't say that "PDK kills it" regarding the car, but value, sure!

PDK, black, beige interior, 12-way seats. This isn't what most people are looking for, and a great example of why idiosyncratic builds carry so much more or so much less value. This is probably one of the least desired GTS coupes one could build in terms of resale value. If a dealer didn't know what they were doing, they massively overpaid for the car. By the same token, a dealer getting the right options for resale desirability who doesn't know the market could underpay and have a gold mine on their hands. It all works out in the end.

If some different boxes were checked however (or not checked): no PDK, white/silver/aqua instead of black, 4 or 18-way seats, and either black or nice 2-tone interior, then the value of this car is easily $12,000 more, at a minimum.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:48 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

PDK cars are not worth less, they are in fact the standard. Old school manuals were always worth less and are only now being driven up in price by a few die-hard fans and by speculators, because there were few desired and therefore produced. The increase in value of manuals is simply a result of 1 more person wanting to buy one than were made. Even if 1% of all 911's were a manual, you only need 1.2% buyer pool to inflate transaction prices. And as many have said for years, a forum such as this does not at all reflect the real world out there. I assure you if the market preferred sticks, Porsche and the others would build them. Time moves on and dual clutch technology has overtaken the old clutch transmission. Also, something that seems to be lost in these conversations is that most of the participants in this forum purchased their cars used, and will do the same for their next car. The 997 forum is not indicative of actual Porsche new car buyers. The typical Porsche buyer demographic buys what they want, and it clearly isn't an old fashioned manual transmission. Once this temporary transition period is behind us, most manual transmission cars will be sitting in museums.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Funny how owners of PDK cars insist PDK's are the best.
For me, Manual Transmission is the only way to go. Nothing like it driving in the mountains, around town and overall experience is where it is at for me.
Like music we can certainly disagree, but I'd never buy an automatic Transmission Sports Car and I'd say the majority of long time Porsche owners would tend to agree.
Just the way it is.
None of my cars are automatic and they never will be

The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
8Lug (04-24-2020), rwsteelers (04-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Rare 6k mile GTS on BAT closing 4/22/20