Sponsored by:

Another oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 11:30 AM
Durling21
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Have you asked them to confirm the number? I had a similar situation with them a couple of years ago and it turned out the Si value shown on the report was wrong. Worth asking especially since it looks like you have other mix-ups going on with your various reports. I personally would prefer they correct the report rather than keeping bad reports with false history.
Yea I emailed them about this morning. I read the report last night and posted in the middle of the night lol. #Newborn life.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:36 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 185 Posts

Congratulations!!! Yes, I have young kids as well haha I remember those days well. I used to do my best work staying up late at night before kids and then I would sleep in. Since having kids it's the complete opposite LOL, always up super early
Old 11-15-2023, 11:45 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I recently got a report back with SI level through the roof, so high that I got an email from Lake asking questions. Turns out I used a silicone based collection bottle (TSA approved travel bottle from a drug store) which apparently leached into the sample. Just a thought on what might be your issue.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:49 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Excellent point, Optionman
Old 11-15-2023, 11:53 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Just looked back at the email/report, my Silicon level was 1365. I got the report late at night and almost threw up when I saw it.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:21 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Durling21
Yea I emailed them about this morning. I read the report last night and posted in the middle of the night lol. #Newborn life.
One other thing to note that I didn't pickup on initially due to error on the report and the second report, but if I am reading it correctly your fuel dilution dropped massively (1.83% to .81%) -- and that is great. This is likely related to the fact that DI40 holds less fuel in suspension due to its chemistry and even though your last UOA was DI40 it was the first one after you switched so considerable cross-contamination. It looks like you have a 2010 model, which would be direct injected and those run higher fuel dilution ratios. .81% fuel dilution for a DFI engine is excellent, especially because the GC method SDiax uses is super accurate. I also saw a huge drop in fuel dilution % when I moved to DI40 several years ago.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:53 PM
Durling21
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

One other thing to note that I didn't pickup on initially due to error on the report and the second report, but if I am reading it correctly your fuel dilution dropped massively (1.83% to .81%) -- and that is great. This is likely related to the fact that DI40 holds less fuel in suspension due to its chemistry and even though your last UOA was DI40 it was the first one after you switched so considerable cross-contamination. It looks like you have a 2010 model, which would be direct injected and those run higher fuel dilution ratios. .81% fuel dilution for a DFI engine is excellent, especially because the GC method SDiax uses is super accurate. I also saw a huge drop in fuel dilution % when I moved to DI40 several years ago.
Yes I noticed that as well! I’m glad to see it because I have read these DFI motors have injector issues from all the ethanol in our fuel.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:11 PM
smitrov
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

First Blackstone report for my car; pretty happy with this! Other than the carfax, I don't really have any information on how the car was taken care of by prior owners. I did find out the prior owner was some kinda wine salesman here in the Bay, so presumably the car spent most of it's life driving around Napa which doesn't sound too bad. Still, I'd get nervous at any little noise the car would make with all the bore scoring horror stories online.

Gonna investigate the silicon thing, but numbers seem pretty good. All of the miles on the car, aside from a pretty chill road trip up to Point Reyes, were spirited backroads + a track day at Sonoma last November. Still trying to read through this thread, but would you guys still recommend switching to DI-40 for my next oil change?

Old 11-28-2023, 11:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by smitrov
First Blackstone report for my car; pretty happy with this! Other than the carfax, I don't really have any information on how the car was taken care of by prior owners. I did find out the prior owner was some kinda wine salesman here in the Bay, so presumably the car spent most of it's life driving around Napa which doesn't sound too bad. Still, I'd get nervous at any little noise the car would make with all the bore scoring horror stories online.

Gonna investigate the silicon thing, but numbers seem pretty good. All of the miles on the car, aside from a pretty chill road trip up to Point Reyes, were spirited backroads + a track day at Sonoma last November. Still trying to read through this thread, but would you guys still recommend switching to DI-40 for my next oil change?

Yep, DI40 is the right choice and will bring that iron # down. Decent first report and congratulations.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:53 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Some oils contain silicon as an anti-foam additive so it is also best if you can benchmark off of the virgin sample of the formulation vs just universal averages.

FWIW for your DFI engine there is no way the fuel dilution is <0.5, the method used by Blackstone is so inaccurate I personally believe it should be omitted from their reports as it is misleading.

Last edited by silver_tt; 11-29-2023 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Biff Neckbrace (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 01:15 PM
carguy999
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 72 Posts

What could a high magnesium number mean?
Old 12-08-2023, 01:35 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carguy999
What could a high magnesium number mean?
Magnesium is a detergent. Likely it means that the oil has high magnesium out of the bottle, speaking for a 997. When you say "high number" did you benchmark it against a virgin sample of the exact same oil? More information would help here...
Old 12-08-2023, 06:03 PM
carguy999
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 72 Posts

Magnesium is a detergent. Likely it means that the oil has high magnesium out of the bottle, speaking for a 997. When you say "high number" did you benchmark it against a virgin sample of the exact same oil? More information would help here...
I did not - are people usually saving a little bit of their oil prior to install and sending that for analysis as well? I just mean a high number relative to norms - when I switched to Liquimoly the magnesium shot up. This is the first UOA on Liquimoly, and will be my only one as I have since switched to Driven.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:14 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

My magnesium levels on previous UOA using LiquiMoly were in the teens but when I switched to Driven they jumped 10 fold to over 150, though the most recent came in at 57.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:27 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carguy999
I did not - are people usually saving a little bit of their oil prior to install and sending that for analysis as well? I just mean a high number relative to norms - when I switched to Liquimoly the magnesium shot up. This is the first UOA on Liquimoly, and will be my only one as I have since switched to Driven.
Speediagnostix has virgin analysis samples for some oils on their website:
https://www.speediagnostix.com/new-oil-analysis

If you are a customer you can email and ask if they have a virgin sample of whatever you are using -- some people also send in a little oil and do their own virgin sample analysis but you don' t need to if you already have the virgin sample's data. Usually they don't change frequently but over a longer period of time like years the formulation can change so just be aware of that if the benchmark sample is older. It is very important to always benchmark your results against the virgin sample as the starting point. If you switch to Driven DT40 or DI40 I believe I have posted the virgin samples in this thread and there are also many other customer reports that you can compare against.
The following users liked this post:
carguy999 (12-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Another oil analysis