Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 05:22 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

That's terrible Bronz. Regardless of your bad luck, your calmness and positive outlook during your bore scoring misadventure were inspirational.

Hope to see you back here at some point. Onward.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (02-11-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 05:35 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry to hear about the awful turn of events Bronz. I would also likely wash my hands of the car. Maybe it had some kind of undocumented event in the past that is causing it such horrible luck.

Whatever car you move on to I wish you the best luck.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:58 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Probably cheaper and more reliable to convert it into MT. I would, it will make one of a kind 997.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Hello fellow Rennlisters,

As some of you know, i went through the whole bore scoring ordeal and ended up with Jake Rabys Stage 2 4.0L motor. Since then i have put about 4k miles on the rebuild. Couple weeks ago I was driving back from work, going through my neighborhood at 20mph and all of the sudden, i get the sport mode failure warning, emergency transmission warning and a check engine light. Immediately pulled over to the side and shut off the car. Start it back up, put it in drive and nothing. Put it in reverse, nothing. It just revs, but the car doesnt move.

Walk home about 5 blocks and get my volt meter. Measured the battery voltage and it was reading 12.1 Thought that was kind of low, so ran to Costco and grabbed a new battery, hoping it would help. Same thing. Scanned it with durametric, and it was reading "Software Error" in the transmission module.

With the help of Jake Raby and Charles Navarro, had one of the techs from LN Engineering come out to my house with PIWIS to check and recalibrate the transmission and do bunch of other stuff. PIWIS was not communicating with TCM. Decision was made to install a new TCM and repeat the process.

After installing the new TCM, the transmission shows stuck in 6th gear even though the shifter can be moved to reverse/neutral/drive. Luckily they have low mileage PDK in stock for my car, which is getting installed right now. It would be an option to tear into transmission and check whats causing the problem, but i will not be going this route due to the fact that pretty much no internal parts are available anyway.

That being said, i will be listing the car for sale to recoup some of the money. After spending over 40k in repairs and maintenance i have lost interest in cars in general as i have a lot of other things going on in my life right now. I might be listing the car on BAT, but i havent decided yet.

Cheers
Oh man brother. So sorry you are going through that. Would completely turn me off cars to for the moment.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Probably $24K on the engine and $16K on the transmission.

Yves
A Raby motor for only $24k?

He made it sound like he had a used pdk being put in. Perhaps he will share the price.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:25 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Spring is best time for BAT sports cars, but I'm not sure the crowd there is the best to expect a premium on a rebuilt 997, Raby 4.0 or not. I'll bet that will change in years to come. Best of luck.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:27 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Sleep on it a bit before you decide to let it go you might change you mind. Hell you basically have replaced anything that could ever go wrong.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:55 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

So sorry to hear this yet I understand completely the "burned" you must feel. I've been through that on another car, similar to the 40-50k thing. I still have the car but a lot of spending remorse.

Life goes on, good luck with all of your other adventures, I enjoyed your "build" thread, Mike
Old 01-29-2020, 01:28 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

crap brother , this makes me sad. your mods, bumper, wheels ducktail, were well done and your car is beautiful.

with that said, it is totally understandable and fair that you'd want to take a break from the car, what you are going thru is BS - my apologies man.

As some of you know, i went through the whole bore scoring ordeal and ended up with Jake Rabys Stage 2 4.0L motor. Since then i have put about 4k miles on the rebuild. Couple weeks ago I was driving back from work, going through my neighborhood at 20mph and all of the sudden, i get the sport mode failure warning, emergency transmission warning and a check engine light. Immediately pulled over to the side and shut off the car. Start it back up, put it in drive and nothing. Put it in reverse, nothing. It just revs, but the car doesnt move.

Walk home about 5 blocks and get my volt meter. Measured the battery voltage and it was reading 12.1 Thought that was kind of low, so ran to Costco and grabbed a new battery, hoping it would help. Same thing. Scanned it with durametric, and it was reading "Software Error" in the transmission module.

With the help of Jake Raby and Charles Navarro, had one of the techs from LN Engineering come out to my house with PIWIS to check and recalibrate the transmission and do bunch of other stuff. PIWIS was not communicating with TCM. Decision was made to install a new TCM and repeat the process.

After installing the new TCM, the transmission shows stuck in 6th gear even though the shifter can be moved to reverse/neutral/drive. Luckily they have low mileage PDK in stock for my car, which is getting installed right now. It would be an option to tear into transmission and check whats causing the problem, but i will not be going this route due to the fact that pretty much no internal parts are available anyway.

That being said, i will be listing the car for sale to recoup some of the money. After spending over 40k in repairs and maintenance i have lost interest in cars in general as i have a lot of other things going on in my life right now. I might be listing the car on BAT, but i havent decided yet.

Cheers
Old 01-29-2020, 02:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Cheers
Unbelievable. First a 997.2 engine failure which I think is the first I've read about here or elsewhere and then PDK failure which are just about as rare. I can't relate to what you've been through but as someone else said, what else could go wrong in terms of high $ failures? If you like the car, the worst is clearly behind you so maybe give the sale a second thought. I don't see how you can come close to recover what you've spent on repairs by now so could you imagine keeping it, enjoying it knowing that you have a really special engine and that the chances of another bomb dropping has to be microscopic?

Most everything seems to average out with time and if you believe in that your string of bad luck should have gotten to an end by now.
Big Swole (02-09-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:52 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Bronz…..Terrible experience and wishing you better things ahead. More important is that you have your health. These cars can get expensive.
myw (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:56 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Damn, sucks man... sorry it happened to you! This is further proof, PDK isn't really a long-term transmission. My next car would be manual.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:08 AM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with sandwedge. I'm thinking the next person to own your car is going to get a very sorted out car.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:57 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Dang, that is awful, awful luck. How many miles on the car?
Old 01-29-2020, 12:33 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Also Bronz, your car looks amazing. You've done a great job on the upgrades and car sits perfect.
Whatever you decide good luck and sorry for all the issues.

Quick Reply: When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK