When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
im 29
We're pretty close in age, actually. You got me beat though.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Jeebus' car is a 997.1 Tip vs yours being a 997.2 PDK. Guess it's used in both? The standard driveshaft setup on a Cayenne uses one too. Think it's essentially a shock absorber for the driveline.
Yep, my guess is all the AWD and front engine RWD/AWD cars will have one. My E55 actually has two guibos on the drive shaft. Need to swap them out on that project car.

Bronz, glad to see your 997.2 is back in shape.

Think about it a bit before you decide to sell. I remember you bought it for a steal out of Texas, I think it was the cheapest 997.2 C4S in the country at the time. You paid up for the issues with the car, but now you know it inside and out. Yes, it's expensive, but it's just money and you can't take it with you in the end. I almost sold my 997TT even though it's a bit of a basket case, but there's really nothing out there that can match the experience that this model provides. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Thanks for taking the time to document your build.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Well when i got the bore scoring, i shot an email to PCNA and i pretty much got a response asking who am i? Theyre not showing me in their database since ive never bought a brand new Porsche and theres nothing they could do outside of warranty period.
I'll never have that type of history either as I don't see the value in buying a new Porsche especially since I like the older ones much better so I'd be (kind of am) in the same boat as bronz.
You don't have to buy a new Porsche to be in their data base or have a chance at some goodwill. I never bought a new Porsche but I've had three 997's serviced and repaired by the Porsche dealership in my hometown. I'm in the PCNA data base, I receive all kinds of PR material from them on a regular basis and I have received some goodwill from the dealer over the years.

Well yeah its funny to see how everyone recommends finding a good Indy instead of going to the dealership all the time, but when something big happens everyone is quick to suggest that i should have been going to the dealer. In hindsight, a lot of things could have been done differently.. It is what it is at this point, you live and learn. I have a lot going on ahead of me and i will apply the knowledge i gain here in the future. Most of you probably dont know my age, but i might be one of the youngest members on this board....
I suspect that those who recommend an indy for repairs instead of a dealer are those who have no warranty since the indy will typically be substantially cheaper. If you have warranty, what would be the reason to take the car to an indy? The out of pocket expense will be the deductible which will be the same no matter which one you choose.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:24 AM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Jeebus' car is a 997.1 Tip vs yours being a 997.2 PDK. Guess it's used in both? The standard driveshaft setup on a Cayenne uses one too. Think it's essentially a shock absorber for the driveline.
Guibos or flex couplers are used on applications where the driveline angles are the same( straight shot from output shaft to input shaft) A universal joint or constant velocity joint requires some misalignment to keep the joint lubricated. Guibos are typically used on independent suspension cars where the driveline angles stay constant( solid axles like trucks and such the axle moves on the spring) A universal joint or cv joint is commonly used in conjunction with 2 guibos to compensate for different angles between input and output shafts.

If your AWD 911 is experiencing guibo failure, you may want to investigate the front and rear motor mounts. When they wear, especially the rear dropping, they cause a misalignment of the transmission to the driveshaft that the guibo must compensate for every rotation. This constantly flexes the rubber disc and prematurely wears it out.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 12:24 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

im 29
Old timer!! LOL.

I was 23 when I bought my first Pcar. Lucky then, blessed now. Good luck to you and I hope you can stay with yours.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:49 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Car looks great from behind, which with a 4.0 that's all folks are going to see. The 4.0 emblem looks cool.

Just curious who is doing the replacement. I'm not too far from you, so always looking for options
I think that a personalized plate is needed should Bronz decide to keep the car.... it's just too special a car... how many 4.0L 997.2's are out there aside from the GT3 RS 4.0?
Old 02-13-2020, 05:42 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Yup and its actually the same part #!

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Damn what an unusual fluke freak of nature double failure ... I feel your pain and distrust with the brand ...Porsche should really step up in cases as such and do what we in the industry call a policy adjust. In my industries standard policy due to the unit being out of warranty would be to supply the transmission at N/C or near cost and cust pays the install or 50/50 with the customer for the part and installation.

On a side note Only 24k for a Raby 4.0 count me in ...may just want one on the side in case mine ever pops !!
Yeah maybe if i would have pushed further and tried to contact more people at PCNA maybe something could have been done.

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I was your age when I got bit by Porsche bug and took the plunge. 20 years later and the fever for me has never subsided. Now at 49 yrs old I can not imagine feeling this passionate or dedicated to any other brand because it has become such a big part of my life over last 20 years. In my mind i am still "young" at heart, my wife actually says I have the mind of a 13 year old, and for now I have no plans or desires to switch to something else, but you never know what the next phase of life has in store! Most likely it will be another Porsche for me, but Keep us posted on your next moves!
I feel ya! Ive been a big Porsche fan since i can remember, and i still do love their cars and design. Its just the string of unfortunate events that has me turned off for now. If i sell it, ill be back eventually

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, you suck. Wish I was 29!!!!

You are young and sound very blessed! A screwed engine and transmission is nothing . . .
Thats the way id like to look at it as well! As long as im healthy and alive, a failed engine or transmission is not going to make my life miserable.

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Car looks great from behind, which with a 4.0 that's all folks are going to see. The 4.0 emblem looks cool.

Just curious who is doing the replacement. I'm not too far from you, so always looking for options
LN Engineering in Momence, IL. They mostly do machining work and manufacturing of IMS Solution, but they do have a small shop that they work on cars and theyre really good at it. Great guys.

Originally Posted by Own Goal
I hate this story. Especially since I have a '09 S with PDK. Makes me smile every time I take it out, but when I hear one of these I think......it's just a sometime toy. I could be pretty happy with that just right G50 Carrera coupe in Guards red. It's simple. It's a lot of fun (not as quick) and my best bud life long pal rebuilds these for collectors. White room tech back when Porsche dealers had such things for engine and transmission internal rebuilds. I was only 21 when got my first P car. New 914 first year out. That makes me 71. That car and pretty much ever series over the years has had a flaw or two that were pretty pricey for the time. At least consistent.
Sort of like cancer research but there is a really good PDK stickie at the top of the page. Sometime in here there will be a PDK rebuild guru guy like Barry Hart, Jake and Navarro. Just not yet.
Glad to see you around Porsches for so long. I really love these cars and maybe potentially downgrading to something more simple and less expensive might be a good option for me as well. Having thoughts of going through something like this is whats scaring me away for now. I did hear that some company outside of US was able to crack the code to these PDKs finally, so theres definitely someone looking into it. Hopefully in the short future, we will have these rebuilt at significantly lower cost.

Originally Posted by jeebus31
We're pretty close in age, actually. You got me beat though.

Yep, my guess is all the AWD and front engine RWD/AWD cars will have one. My E55 actually has two guibos on the drive shaft. Need to swap them out on that project car.

Bronz, glad to see your 997.2 is back in shape.

Think about it a bit before you decide to sell. I remember you bought it for a steal out of Texas, I think it was the cheapest 997.2 C4S in the country at the time. You paid up for the issues with the car, but now you know it inside and out. Yes, it's expensive, but it's just money and you can't take it with you in the end. I almost sold my 997TT even though it's a bit of a basket case, but there's really nothing out there that can match the experience that this model provides. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Thanks for taking the time to document your build.
You got me beat in your knowledge though! I do like to wrench as well, but the things youre doing to your Turbo are impressive!

Originally Posted by sandwedge
You don't have to buy a new Porsche to be in their data base or have a chance at some goodwill. I never bought a new Porsche but I've had three 997's serviced and repaired by the Porsche dealership in my hometown. I'm in the PCNA data base, I receive all kinds of PR material from them on a regular basis and I have received some goodwill from the dealer over the years.

I suspect that those who recommend an indy for repairs instead of a dealer are those who have no warranty since the indy will typically be substantially cheaper. If you have warranty, what would be the reason to take the car to an indy? The out of pocket expense will be the deductible which will be the same no matter which one you choose.
I think it might be too late for that on this car, but ill definitely keep this in mind on the next pcar!

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Guibos or flex couplers are used on applications where the driveline angles are the same( straight shot from output shaft to input shaft) A universal joint or constant velocity joint requires some misalignment to keep the joint lubricated. Guibos are typically used on independent suspension cars where the driveline angles stay constant( solid axles like trucks and such the axle moves on the spring) A universal joint or cv joint is commonly used in conjunction with 2 guibos to compensate for different angles between input and output shafts.

If your AWD 911 is experiencing guibo failure, you may want to investigate the front and rear motor mounts. When they wear, especially the rear dropping, they cause a misalignment of the transmission to the driveshaft that the guibo must compensate for every rotation. This constantly flexes the rubber disc and prematurely wears it out.
Not really a failure but after 80k miles it was starting to show some hairline cracks. I think thats pretty normal for that mileage and the kind of stress it goes through.

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
Old timer!! LOL.

I was 23 when I bought my first Pcar. Lucky then, blessed now. Good luck to you and I hope you can stay with yours.
Thats impressive! I bought mine when i was 26 but have been drooling after them since i was a little kid.

Originally Posted by mujeriega
I think that a personalized plate is needed should Bronz decide to keep the car.... it's just too special a car... how many 4.0L 997.2's are out there aside from the GT3 RS 4.0?
Always wanted one, but never came up with a good one. Any suggestions are welcome
Old 02-13-2020, 05:46 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Also, i got a quote from Fidelity they could get me a powertran warranty for 4yrs/48k miles for $4067.

Technically this warranty would only be good for the PDK and differentials. Im pretty sure Jakes engine wont need the warranty plus it already has a warranty and i dont think they would cover the engine that has been bored and modified.

Having 4 worry free years for $4k might not be the worst idea. What do you guys think? I should have looked into these warranties when i bought my car, but never did since i thought these were supposed to be bulletproof lol.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:55 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

Also, i got a quote from Fidelity they could get me a powertran warranty for 4yrs/48k miles for $4067.

Technically this warranty would only be good for the PDK and differentials. Im pretty sure Jakes engine wont need the warranty plus it already has a warranty and i dont think they would cover the engine that has been bored and modified.

Having 4 worry free years for $4k might not be the worst idea. What do you guys think? I should have looked into these warranties when i bought my car, but never did since i thought these were supposed to be bulletproof lol.
That is not a hateful price, especially since it should cover the engine as well. How is it not a Porsche spec, street driven 9A1 engine? Not that you would need it, but if you sell early it would be a plus for the next owner. What is Jake's warranty on yours?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:38 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

My Merkur XR4Ti had a guibo
Old 02-13-2020, 11:01 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

$83 buck a month for 4 years. Not bad insurance, although its 50/50. It's a much greater car now, but other drive line items can go wrong, especially with the added power. But, and there's always a big butt, the rest of the car has the same stuff as the turbo's....so, I'm probably more torn the more I think about it......GL with decision, but u have one of thee most bada$$ 997's on the planet.!
Old 02-13-2020, 11:03 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Flat 6 has a 1 year warranty from shipment of engine with stipulations about lubrication and no track time of any kind.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Never lost money on an extended warranty. Bought a 3 year Fidelity Platinum policy for my GTS not long ago. Mostly because of the PDK failure on my -09 C4S. Not cheap. In retrospect I think I would have been content with the powertrain policy you bought. I paid around $5,500 for the Platinum plan which is basically the same as the factory CPO.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:07 AM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bronz,

Glad it worked out and fantastic looking car! Where did you get the 4.0 emblem on the deck lid?
Old 05-29-2020, 02:43 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Bummer..... nothing to be said.

I should never have given Porsche my business again after two engine failures.... those experiences changed my view of them. It went from reverence to something just above my feelings about GM. Seriously. They are not some highfalutin group of engineering priests building purity. They are a mass-production, consumer product company who has a team of genius marketing folks. That is it and it is no more. I do enjoy their product and brand very much, but I don't revere them.

Sometime lighting will strike the same place twice... or more.

Thanx for your posts.... sad to see you go.... but very understandable.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
EXTREMELY well put Bruce. I would only add these cars are everything those genius marketing folks speak of....when they work.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:32 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

How would they even know if the engine was modified if you didn't tell Fidelity?

This is the thing with warrantees...at least for me. I never ever buy them except on my Porsches. Granted I grind the sh*t out of the price on them, but I look at it this way. I can drive the snot out of the car and not worry "oohh I shouldn't have gone this far or fast" Just drive it like there is no tomorrow. I know that statistically, I should not and that Fidelity makes money. I know that I have the cash to cover any repair. But I also know that without a warranty I have a little voice in the back of my head that worries and I don't want to hear it.
The following users liked this post:
myw (05-30-2020)

Quick Reply: When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK