Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 12:09 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts

Well yeah its funny to see how everyone recommends finding a good Indy instead of going to the dealership all the time, but when something big happens everyone is quick to suggest that i should have been going to the dealer. In hindsight, a lot of things could have been done differently.. It is what it is at this point, you live and learn. I have a lot going on ahead of me and i will apply the knowledge i gain here in the future. Most of you probably dont know my age, but i might be one of the youngest members on this board....
The following 2 users liked this post by bronz:
Alex Koutin (06-01-2020), roadie13 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

To me, it doesn't make any sense to go to the dealership for any 997 engine failure if you're out of warranty and not an established dealership customer. Yes, they may kick in a few thousand but they can't give you anything but the same thing that just failed for you, whereas going the Raby / LN route, you end up with something much better than what you started with - increased displacement, more durable piston and cylinder bores, other improved parts like ARP hardware. Porsche will only reinstall Porsche parts and the most profitable car company in the word has a different agenda than the guy who is rebuilding a motor so he never deals with this failure again.

The PDK could be looked at differently since it's a complete assembly replacement, but doubt Porsche would have done anything for him on that either as he doesn't have the history with the dealership of a Doug H. I'll never have that type of history either as I don't see the value in buying a new Porsche especially since I like the older ones much better so I'd be (kind of am) in the same boat as bronz.
The following 4 users liked this post by Petza914:
bronz (02-12-2020), latonnelier (02-12-2020), mikes70 (02-13-2020), myw (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:18 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Right there with you Bronz - my name dates me pretty badly. Part of what makes this forum great is the ability to learn from others. I want to thank you again for sharing this painful experience with everyone.
The following users liked this post:
bronz (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

What's considered "Young" on this Forum??

Less then 40?

30?
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
What's considered "Young" on this Forum??

Less then 40?

30?
im 29
The following 2 users liked this post by bronz:
myw (02-12-2020), SFZ GT3 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
... We also installed a new flex disc (guibo) as the old one was starting to crack. ...
What is that and where's located?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:11 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
What is that and where's located?
it sits between driveshaft and transmission, its a rubber disc. @jeebus31 has it documented in his thread.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

im 29

Yeah, that's probably in the lower range of most members.

I'm 48, but I still act like I'm 29...Does that count?? lol
bronz (02-13-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

it sits between driveshaft and transmission, its a rubber disc. @jeebus31 has it documented in his thread.
Jeebus' car is a 997.1 Tip vs yours being a 997.2 PDK. Guess it's used in both? The standard driveshaft setup on a Cayenne uses one too. Think it's essentially a shock absorber for the driveline.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:29 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Damn what an unusual fluke freak of nature double failure ... I feel your pain and distrust with the brand ...Porsche should really step up in cases as such and do what we in the industry call a policy adjust. In my industries standard policy due to the unit being out of warranty would be to supply the transmission at N/C or near cost and cust pays the install or 50/50 with the customer for the part and installation.

On a side note Only 24k for a Raby 4.0 count me in ...may just want one on the side in case mine ever pops !!
Old 02-12-2020, 07:33 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

im 29
I was your age when I got bit by Porsche bug and took the plunge. 20 years later and the fever for me has never subsided. Now at 49 yrs old I can not imagine feeling this passionate or dedicated to any other brand because it has become such a big part of my life over last 20 years. In my mind i am still "young" at heart, my wife actually says I have the mind of a 13 year old, and for now I have no plans or desires to switch to something else, but you never know what the next phase of life has in store! Most likely it will be another Porsche for me, but Keep us posted on your next moves!
Old 02-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
To me, it doesn't make any sense to go to the dealership for any 997 engine failure if you're out of warranty and not an established dealership customer. Yes, they may kick in a few thousand but they can't give you anything but the same thing that just failed for you, whereas going the Raby / LN route, you end up with something much better than what you started with - increased displacement, more durable piston and cylinder bores, other improved parts like ARP hardware. Porsche will only reinstall Porsche parts and the most profitable car company in the word has a different agenda than the guy who is rebuilding a motor so he never deals with this failure again.

The PDK could be looked at differently since it's a complete assembly replacement, but doubt Porsche would have done anything for him on that either as he doesn't have the history with the dealership of a Doug H. I'll never have that type of history either as I don't see the value in buying a new Porsche especially since I like the older ones much better so I'd be (kind of am) in the same boat as bronz.
I hear you, but your ignoring the fact that the last guy that chronicled his pdk failure in here 2 or so years ago went to 2 Porsche dealerships. The first quoted him like $15k or something and second, whom he apparently had no prior relationship with, did it for less than $10k with a loaner. They got some of it covered.

This sounds a bit like contempt before investigation.

My only point is try through dealer channels. You can shooti that idea down for yourself without trying, but no sense in telling others not to try if you have never tried yourself.

I actually tbink youstand a better shot at getting some portion of the engine covered since it is higher priced.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:00 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Well yeah its funny to see how everyone recommends finding a good Indy instead of going to the dealership all the time, but when something big happens everyone is quick to suggest that i should have been going to the dealer. In hindsight, a lot of things could have been done differently.. It is what it is at this point, you live and learn. I have a lot going on ahead of me and i will apply the knowledge i gain here in the future. Most of you probably dont know my age, but i might be one of the youngest members on this board....
Lol, you suck. Wish I was 29!!!!

You are young and sound very blessed! A screwed engine and transmission is nothing . . .
Old 02-12-2020, 08:02 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Picking it up tonight!!! Heres few photos with trans out. New one is in and all is working well im being told. They put 25 miles on it last night with no issues.

and photo from December, the rear end looks so good on these cars.
Car looks great from behind, which with a 4.0 that's all folks are going to see. The 4.0 emblem looks cool.

Just curious who is doing the replacement. I'm not too far from you, so always looking for options

Old 02-12-2020, 11:47 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

I hate this story. Especially since I have a '09 S with PDK. Makes me smile every time I take it out, but when I hear one of these I think......it's just a sometime toy. I could be pretty happy with that just right G50 Carrera coupe in Guards red. It's simple. It's a lot of fun (not as quick) and my best bud life long pal rebuilds these for collectors. White room tech back when Porsche dealers had such things for engine and transmission internal rebuilds. I was only 21 when got my first P car. New 914 first year out. That makes me 71. That car and pretty much ever series over the years has had a flaw or two that were pretty pricey for the time. At least consistent.
Sort of like cancer research but there is a really good PDK stickie at the top of the page. Sometime in here there will be a PDK rebuild guru guy like Barry Hart, Jake and Navarro. Just not yet.
jeebus31 (02-12-2020)

Quick Reply: When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK