Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 05:32 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by teevirdi
First I tried calibration after part replacement but it failed so then tried calibration without. Only thing I have not done is the toque loss adaption. Will give that a go tomorrow and let you know.
any one know where I could find this on the piwis ?
See page 14 of the same document I mention above for the torque loss adaptation process. I'll be shocked if it makes a difference but it's worth a try.

What specifically did you replace, was it the valve body? Also did you use the PIWIS fill procedure with the fluid to ensure there are no air pockets?

This is like the fourth time we've seen this HYTI error recently and there has to be a common cause. Anything unusual about your PIWIS?
Old 11-01-2021, 05:45 PM
teevirdi
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
See page 14 of the same document I mention above for the torque loss adaptation process. I'll be shocked if it makes a difference but it's worth a try.

What specifically did you replace, was it the valve body? Also did you use the PIWIS fill procedure with the fluid to ensure there are no air pockets?

This is like the fourth time we've seen this HYTI error recently and there has to be a common cause. Anything unusual about your PIWIS?

Replaced the valve body, got a brand new from Porsche, thats the other thing when going trough the fill procedure that also failed on the bleed part but let’s you go through to the fill part.

My piwis is a clone but never had problems with it. Have done loads of programming with it.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:28 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by teevirdi
Replaced the valve body, got a brand new from Porsche, thats the other thing when going trough the fill procedure that also failed on the bleed part but let’s you go through to the fill part.

My piwis is a clone but never had problems with it. Have done loads of programming with it.
Hmmm, not sure what you mean by "failed the bleed part" during the fill but it sounds odd. It's been close to a year since I last used the fill procedure but I don't remember a bleed part and there were definitely no failures. I wonder if you have air trapped in there, that is compressing and causing the hydraulics to not run the full range during calibration. According to your screen shots it's failing during the shift rod calibration which I'm pretty sure is the first part of the calibration.

It might be a waste of time but I'd try to run the fill procedure again to try and get through it cleanly. The engine torque loss adaptation is is starting to make a bit more sense to me as I think it could be part of the overall PDK adaptation table update process. This is all speculation but I'm thinking It gives the algorithm two points (low engine load and high engine load) that are used as a starting point in developing the adaptation coefficients.

Porsche sure likes their secrets.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:10 PM
boxsterke
AutoX

Hi boxterke - Is there a specific gear pattern where the slipping happens or does not happen? For example, does it only happen when in odd gears but not even gears? The main post section on the valve body describes how the different solenoids affect different gears, if there's a pattern it's very helpful in localizing the issue.

Aside from that, you really need access to a PIWIS so you can stripchart the various sensors and solenoid currents to figure out the cause. My guess is it could be a sticky solenoid or valve within the valve body but without more information it's hard to narrow it down.
Hi PV997- First of all, Thx for the quick respons.
The slipping happens in ALL gears, so i thougt it might be something in commen.
I have taken a good look to your first post and tried to find some logic for slipping in all gears.
If we assume it would be the valve-body, I think it could be the white solenoid (pressure control valve 10) or/and system pressure-valve (14 in the drawing), what do you think?
But if the hydraulic oil pressure is to low, why are there no errors from the pressure ssensors ?!
Strange thing is that it only happens between 1700-2000 rpm, that's what i don't get .
When i'm cruising on 1800rpm, rpm fluctuate constantly (aprox 50à100 rpm). When i'm cruising on 2400rpm (rpm stable)...... then accelerate hard (without downshift) there is "no" slip and gear-change is perfectly.
Do you think i can rule out a bad clutch? Maybe not unimportant .... the slip is also worse with the new hydraulic oil (viscosity !?).
The access to a PIWIS will be difficult, because i don't know anyane who has one .
That's why a went to the dealer for the hydraulic oil change, because software is needed (usually i do everything myself).
I would like to have one, but i wouldn't know where to start (maybe i can do a search here on the forum ). I'm not familiar with car diagnoses, but i'm interested in it.
Hope my logic make sense
Old 11-03-2021, 02:46 AM
boxsterke
AutoX

Hi boxterke - Is there a specific gear pattern where the slipping happens or does not happen? For example, does it only happen when in odd gears but not even gears? The main post section on the valve body describes how the different solenoids affect different gears, if there's a pattern it's very helpful in localizing the issue.

Aside from that, you really need access to a PIWIS so you can stripchart the various sensors and solenoid currents to figure out the cause. My guess is it could be a sticky solenoid or valve within the valve body but without more information it's hard to narrow it down.
Hi PV997- First of all, thx for the quick respons.

The slipping happens in all of the gears, so I thought it might be something in common.

I have taken a good look to your first post and tried to find some logic for slipping in all gears.

If we assume it would be the valve-body, think it could be the white solenoid (pressure control valve 10) or/and system-pressure valve 14 in the drawing, what do you think?

But if the hydraulic oil pressure is to low, why are there no errors from the pressure sensors ?!

Strange thing is, that it only happens between 1700-2000rpm, that’s what I don’t get :-).

When I’m cruising on 1800rpm, rpm fluctuate constantly (aprox 50à100rpm).

When I’m cruising on 2400rpm (rpm is stable) …. thenaccelerate hard (without downshift) there is no slip and change gears are perfect. Do you think I can rule out a bad clutch?

Maybe not unimportant… The slip is also worse with the new hydraulic oil.

The access to a piwis will be difficult, because I don’t know anyone who has one.

That’s why I went to the dealer for the hydraulic oil change, because software is needed.

I Usually do everything myself (when I don’t need software).

I would like to have one, but I wouldn’t know where to start (maybe I can do a search here on the forum :-). I’mnot familiar with car diagnoses, but am interested in it.

Hope my logic make sense ;-).
Old 11-03-2021, 11:07 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsterke
Hi PV997- First of all, thx for the quick respons.

The slipping happens in all of the gears, so I thought it might be something in common.

If we assume it would be the valve-body, think it could be the white solenoid (pressure control valve 10) or/and system-pressure valve 14 in the drawing, what do you think?

But if the hydraulic oil pressure is to low, why are there no errors from the pressure sensors ?!

Strange thing is, that it only happens between 1700-2000rpm, that’s what I don’t get :-).

When I’m cruising on 1800rpm, rpm fluctuate constantly (aprox 50à100rpm).

When I’m cruising on 2400rpm (rpm is stable) …. thenaccelerate hard (without downshift) there is no slip and change gears are perfect. Do you think I can rule out a bad clutch?

Maybe not unimportant… The slip is also worse with the new hydraulic oil.

The access to a piwis will be difficult, because I don’t know anyone who has one.

That’s why I went to the dealer for the hydraulic oil change, because software is needed.

I Usually do everything myself (when I don’t need software).

I would like to have one, but I wouldn’t know where to start (maybe I can do a search here on the forum :-). I’mnot familiar with car diagnoses, but am interested in it.

Hope my logic make sense ;-).
Does the RPM jump / hesitate while accelerating or downshifting?

As is well known, PDK is based on a manual transmission system, therefore, for example, in parking lots / traffic jams, it is recommended to use manual mode so as not to cause a gear reduction combined with a throttle.

Try uploading a video link that can help us understand your situation.
Hope I helped a little.

Last edited by GTSpure; 11-03-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:55 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

May be this time you do need a shop that does have proper diagnostic tools... Our map shows one in NL, that I know does work on PDKs. Not sure how close it's to you

http://t-design9.com/porsche_PDK_sen...shops_map.html

Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 11-03-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:55 PM
teevirdi
AutoX

Hmmm, not sure what you mean by "failed the bleed part" during the fill but it sounds odd. It's been close to a year since I last used the fill procedure but I don't remember a bleed part and there were definitely no failures. I wonder if you have air trapped in there, that is compressing and causing the hydraulics to not run the full range during calibration. According to your screen shots it's failing during the shift rod calibration which I'm pretty sure is the first part of the calibration.

It might be a waste of time but I'd try to run the fill procedure again to try and get through it cleanly. The engine torque loss adaptation is is starting to make a bit more sense to me as I think it could be part of the overall PDK adaptation table update process. This is all speculation but I'm thinking It gives the algorithm two points (low engine load and high engine load) that are used as a starting point in developing the adaptation coefficients.

Porsche sure likes their secrets.
Hi guys, so an update. Ran the toque loss adaption and no change. Still fails on the same but.
PV997 do you know how the other people have got thorough this as you mentioned that you have seen this fault a couple of times before ?

Old 11-04-2021, 04:28 AM
Kowyee
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me. Porsche just keep asking for more $$

=Darklockz;16649723]hi, all..

first.. thank you for this page! and sorry for my broken english i do my best

Ok, here's my problem, panamera turbo 2012... one day, cold start, no reverse
let the car get up to temp, no reverse still.. stop the engine, re-start.. i can now reverse
tried to run around the block, no problem at all everything seems fine.. so i call porsche rivesud
i ask them to check trans oil level.. the tech gets mad tell me they wont do it but for 400$ they will diag the car 2 hours
i accept.. but before i cleared the codes and try the car again.. no problem at all
2 days later i drive the car to the dealer (code didnt show up since, and the car shift like it should)
the next morning i receive the call from porsche rivesud, 4000$ bill "theres something physically broken inside the trans" they say
i've never seen a internally broken trans engaging as the oil gets hot, so im very sceptical about it.. decided to take the car back like that
when i came to pay the diag and talk with them.. they told me previous owner probably didnt change the oil and thats it, but refuse to even look at it
for now, i didnt read the tech paper and didnt know they NEVER could reproduce the problem while the car was at the dealer ( 2 day )
the car had p1731 and p1732 stored so they could see it but couldnt reproduce the problem at all.. the tech did check the value and say everything was normal.
he says " i suggest starting with the replacement of the sensors" the sensor they want to change is the temperature sensor
So, i take the car back to my house ( about 30 min from the dealer ) with no problem at all. drive the car for 3 days and then one day after an hour it get stock on the 7th gear
manage to slowly get on the side of the road, ignition off, ingnition on.. i get 2nd gear and park the car and leave it at the gas station for an hour or 2..
came back, 0 problem at all car drive to the house without a single problem again.. codes are always the same p1731, p1732, p0700

the car will drive ok for X amount of time, and then suddenly stick to one gear till i stop the car and then refuse to engage whatever the gear or the gear selection
sometime it will do it on a cold start too.. the only way ive found to be able to make it engage again is wait time.. like it reset itself

I was very frustrated at porsche dealer to "change whatever" for "whatever reason" without testing anything.. like pay and we'll see how it goes..
Im not that type of guy, and my logic cant handle this kind of thing... so i walked away and found this page!

now im trying to find information on how to get to the tcu... cant find anything on 970.. anyone have info on this?

thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
Old 11-04-2021, 04:56 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,702 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowyee
cant find anything on 970.. anyone have info on this?
Hi!
1. This thread is specifically about the PDK in the 9X7.
2. Is the Panamera PDK same as 9X7, or one of the wider VAG (like Audi) boxes? Some reading above addresses similar questions I think.
3. The errors P1731 are shift rod displacement errors?
4. Shift rod displacement errors are generated as per above descriptions, and may be heat (not 'reset') related. Typically though, they are dead dead, not sometimes just sick?
5. If the Panamera uses the same ZF gear set and shaft configuration, the replacement shift rod distance sensor described above may also be successful.

Just to start, as I am sure others will have more accurate ideas, vs my guesses...

Old 11-04-2021, 05:07 AM
Kowyee
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totally agree... I own a 970 , under warranty , but engine failure , they say it’s wear n tear no warranty , $$$$$, now transmission gone , they simply say $$$$

Originally Posted by Darklockz
hi, all..

first.. thank you for this page! and sorry for my broken english i do my best

Ok, here's my problem, panamera turbo 2012... one day, cold start, no reverse
let the car get up to temp, no reverse still.. stop the engine, re-start.. i can now reverse
tried to run around the block, no problem at all everything seems fine.. so i call porsche rivesud
i ask them to check trans oil level.. the tech gets mad tell me they wont do it but for 400$ they will diag the car 2 hours
i accept.. but before i cleared the codes and try the car again.. no problem at all
2 days later i drive the car to the dealer (code didnt show up since, and the car shift like it should)
the next morning i receive the call from porsche rivesud, 4000$ bill "theres something physically broken inside the trans" they say
i've never seen a internally broken trans engaging as the oil gets hot, so im very sceptical about it.. decided to take the car back like that
when i came to pay the diag and talk with them.. they told me previous owner probably didnt change the oil and thats it, but refuse to even look at it
for now, i didnt read the tech paper and didnt know they NEVER could reproduce the problem while the car was at the dealer ( 2 day )
the car had p1731 and p1732 stored so they could see it but couldnt reproduce the problem at all.. the tech did check the value and say everything was normal.
he says " i suggest starting with the replacement of the sensors" the sensor they want to change is the temperature sensor
So, i take the car back to my house ( about 30 min from the dealer ) with no problem at all. drive the car for 3 days and then one day after an hour it get stock on the 7th gear
manage to slowly get on the side of the road, ignition off, ingnition on.. i get 2nd gear and park the car and leave it at the gas station for an hour or 2..
came back, 0 problem at all car drive to the house without a single problem again.. codes are always the same p1731, p1732, p0700

the car will drive ok for X amount of time, and then suddenly stick to one gear till i stop the car and then refuse to engage whatever the gear or the gear selection
sometime it will do it on a cold start too.. the only way ive found to be able to make it engage again is wait time.. like it reset itself

I was very frustrated at porsche dealer to "change whatever" for "whatever reason" without testing anything.. like pay and we'll see how it goes..
Im not that type of guy, and my logic cant handle this kind of thing... so i walked away and found this page!

now im trying to find information on how to get to the tcu... cant find anything on 970.. anyone have info on this?

thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2021, 10:19 AM
boxsterke
AutoX

Originally Posted by GTSpure

As is well known, PDK is based on a manual transmission system, therefore, for example, in parking lots / traffic jams, it is recommended to use manual mode so as not to cause a gear reduction combined with a throttle.

Hope I helped a little.
Hi GTSpure, thx for helping me to diagnose my problem.
The problem only occurs between 1700-2000rpm. Above 2000 the car drives perfectly.
I will try to add a video .

Old 11-04-2021, 10:40 AM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Panamera used tranny units are $1,000 - $5000 !

Old 11-04-2021, 10:49 AM
boxsterke
AutoX

Originally Posted by GTSpure

Hope I helped a little.
The video, I hope it worked...
(Slip between 1700-2000rpm)
In this video slip starts just under 2000rpm in this video.
Normally it's worse....
Old 11-04-2021, 11:34 AM
boxsterke
AutoX

Originally Posted by t-design
May be this time you do need a shop that does have proper diagnostic tools... Our map shows one in NL, that I know does work on PDKs. Not sure how close it's to you

http://t-design9.com/porsche_PDK_sen...shops_map.html
Think you are right .
Try to contact them it's not far from where i live, 110km (it calls "PORSCHE-Versnellingsbak-Revisie").
I'll keep you posted.
Btw. Congret's and thx to reverse engeneer the sensor (think it was a joint achievment, when i see the information in this tread).
It's comforting to know there is a solution voor the failing sensor, that many porsche drivers have. And they don't have to buy a new trans at a crazy price !!)
I know porsche has a dirty policy. I have personally experienced when i had my IMS problem with my first porsche ('95 porsche boxster)
Thx for the help

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission