Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 05:58 PM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinkawa
Thank you PV!

i programmed the TCU new with software T_82, then cleared all fault codes as prompted by the piwis.
I ran the calibration with parts replacement and about 30 seconds it in it stops without any activation of shift rods and the protocol gives a „CAN signal failure gateway“ (pic attached). Also there were the following fault codes in the DME
P1691 communication TCU gear box (no signal)
U0101 communication TCU gear box (no signal)
P1628 communication TCU manual gear box (no signal).

Since I updated the TCU software I thought the DME software would not be able to communicate with the TCU to trigger the calibration so I ended up updating the DME as well. I cleared all failure codes after this and tried a new calibration.

The result is 3 fault codes in the DME That I had prior to updating showed up again (pic attached),
no fault code in the TCU.

When I check the PDK TCU I get signals of all sensors and actuators.
But the TCU appears not to be able to make any of the actuators move .

Is this solved with a new TCU for 800 dollars? It appears to be fine when programming software update and reading sensor signals .
it lacks where it should get active!
does anyone have a wiring diagram ? Maybe i did not connect a plug back when I put the engine back in …….
Is a new TCU the part that will solve the problem ?

i mean I replaced just a dumb sensor. All other parts stayed !!
TIA

It’s a strange error for a sensor replacement, you are seeing all TCM parameters but it fails when doing calibration.

is it possible that the battery voltage goes low while that happens? Are the plugs for the PDK seated properly?
The following users liked this post:
Kpadas (02-06-2024)
Old 08-15-2021, 08:23 PM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outside power source was hooked up and never got a message of low voltage.
correct It sees all sensors.
it seems like it is something in the software that shut it down after playing too much around with the failure .
i had the car also at a shop that is mentioned by the sensor manufacturer but they could not do anything.

it appears to be something with the communication between TCU and DME

Last edited by Pinkawa; 08-15-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Kpadas (02-07-2024)
Old 08-16-2021, 09:20 AM
Snip's
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Niklas Vemdal
Slow progress but at least some progress.

I tried to split transmission without a proper tool only using steel and two 2 armed standard bearing removers. Didn’t work out for me. I got a proper tool produced, don’t have enough nice equipment when I temporarily live in US. I used this drawing / dimensions:

I made a PDK case puller out of 1/2" mild steel yesterday.....
Thankyou Niklas Vemdal, for the helpful drawing...

PDK Case Puller

The following 2 users liked this post by Snip's:
irnnr (08-18-2021), Niklas Vemdal (08-17-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 06:14 AM
BjörnS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@PV997, Wonderful work you have performed!! Is there a short description of the difference to the Panamera PKD? i am looking for possibilities to repair a slipping clutch,

Last edited by Petza914; 08-23-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Eliminated the quote from the long original post to eliminate unnecessary scrolling, leaving the compliment.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:35 PM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Default PDK TCU values

Outside power source was hooked up and never got a message of low voltage.
correct It sees all sensors.
it seems like it is something in the software that shut it down after playing too much around with the failure .
i had the car also at a shop that is mentioned by the sensor manufacturer but they could not do anything.

it appears to be something with the communication between TCU and DME

I checked the TCU values and found two things that I d like to get your Input on. Maybe someone could tell me what values they get with ignition on and in idle :
  • the very first two items show “inaktive “
  • the very last item-voltage - shows 0 Volts.
(see attachments)

when do the first to values go to active?
would I have a fault code if one of the solenoids in the valve block would have a malfunction?

thank you!

Last edited by Pinkawa; 08-20-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:58 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,539 Likes on 654 Posts

I checked the TCU values and found two things that I d like to get your Input on. Maybe someone could tell me what values they get with ignition on and in idle :
  • the very first two items show “inaktive “
  • the very last item-voltage - shows 0 Volts.
(see attachments)

when do the first to values go to active?
would I have a fault code if one of the solenoids in the valve block would have a malfunction?

thank you!
Happy to try and help Pinkawa but it might be easier for us if you posted PIWIS shots in English. I took one year of German in 9th grade but that was a long time ago.

Not sure why those say "inactive" as the translation is "solenoid valve for selection of switching rod". Have no idea what a Bitwerte is and google doesn't tell me either.

It does look like you are getting valid readings from the distance sensors (assuming that's what the second picture shows) so it looks like the TCU is getting data from them and the TCU is communicating with the ECM.

BjornS - On the chance you see this can you edit your comment to delete quoting the post? Just log in, scroll to your comment and use the edit button. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:34 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,539 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by BjörnS
@PV997, Wonderful work you have performed!! Is there a short description of the difference to the Panamera PKD? i am looking for possibilities to repair a slipping clutch,
Thanks for the edit Bjorn. Take a look at the document attached to this comment as there's a lot of good info regarding the Panamera's PDK. Functionally the Panamera PDK is very similar to the 911/Cayman PDK but the implementation is a bit different. If you do end up repairing yours, please document it over in the Panamera forum but also post a link here so we can check it out. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Panamera_PDK.pdf (1.65 MB, 226 views)
Old 08-25-2021, 12:29 PM
yarindadon
Track Day

Default Transaxle oil

Hello I replaced the displacement sensor on my 991 and now I need to refill the transaxle oil.
in Israel we can’t buy the mobilube ptx anyone can recommend the best replacement?
here is a list of available products:Motul gear 300

Motul gear 300 ls

Royal purple

Mobil 1 ls

Amsoil severe
Old 08-25-2021, 12:57 PM
Snip's
Advanced

Originally Posted by yarindadon
Hello I replaced the displacement sensor on my 991 and now I need to refill the transaxle oil.
in Israel we can’t buy the mobilube ptx anyone can recommend the best replacement?

Motul gear 300 ls

Royal purple

Mobil 1 ls

Amsoil severe
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-atf-pdk.html

Trailer it to your local Porsche dealer and have the service department fill it with the correct fluid, if you can't find a replacement in Israel.....
Old 08-25-2021, 01:57 PM
yarindadon
Track Day

Default Not so simple

Originally Posted by Snip's
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-atf-pdk.html

Trailer it to your local Porsche dealer and have the service department fill it with the correct fluid, if you can't find a replacement in Israel.....
porsche local dealer in Israel doesn’t have any suitable oil
Old 08-25-2021, 03:20 PM
Snip's
Advanced

porsche local dealer in Israel doesn’t have any suitable oil
Well that's crazy..... How do they handle servicing what they sell?

Here it comes..... We pull the PDK and send it back to Germany for a fluid change and then back to Israel to be reinstalled.....
Old 08-26-2021, 12:32 AM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Motul gear 300 ls

Royal purple

Mobil 1 ls

Amsoil severe
I run Motul Gear 300 in 4 of my PDK cars that see a decent amount of track use. I have never had any issues and Motul meets all of the Porsche specs called out in the service manual. I do not us the Gear 300 “LS” version as it is not required in any of the 987/998/981/991 PDK models, not even when equipped with the factory limited slip diff like my 981 Cayman S has. Good luck.

Jeff
yarindadon (08-26-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:33 PM
.dusk//
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PV997
These are the standard over temp faults and aren't unusual during heavy duty track use, it simply means the clutch fluid in the sump has gone above the limit set by Porsche. Check out LN engineering for a heavy duty PDK clutch fluid/water exchanger. There's also an aftermarket pump/cooler that can be added to the PDK gear oil section, neither the 997 or 987 came with one. Porsche added a gear oil cooler in 2013 to the 991/981 as standard equipment I suspect in response to heat-related complaints.
@PV997
Thanks for that info👍
I'll have to check that out.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:14 PM
Niklas Vemdal
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thank you all for contributing!

My car is running again.

I bought a Boxster S 2009 with a PDK with undefined issues as a hobby project. Thanks to this thread and especially PV997 and T-design I can now enjoy the car. Installed new distance sensor, put everything together, did steering sensor calibration and all fault codes are gone.

Now time to start detailing😀.

Thank you!

The following 3 users liked this post by Niklas Vemdal:
irnnr (09-07-2021), maschinetheist (11-03-2021), PatrickBateman (04-24-2022)
Old 08-30-2021, 06:06 PM
workkyle
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 4S has hard 1-2 upshift during WOT take off

First off what an amazing wealth of knowledge on this post. Big thanks to the OP and all who have contributed. I was wondering if anyone has experienced hard up shifts. Mine occurs in Sport mode with dead stop WOT takeoff. It almost bangs. I never thought it was an issue until I had the wife in the car and she made a comment. Is this abnormal any ideas to resolve? Clutch oil is probably original car only has 32000 miles but is a 2012. 4WD issue or CV issue?

I have held off doing launch control so who knows what that will do.

Last edited by workkyle; 08-30-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission