Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2024 | 08:22 AM
smrpr
Racer

Sorry to ask for the n-th time.

On a manual 997.1 and Heregoes unit, what is the recommended way of installing the rear camera nowadays? Is it still splicing the blue wire under the driver's seat?
Old 09-06-2024 | 02:22 PM
puntingforwords
Track Day

Got everything plugged in and working but somehow the head unit won’t turn off even when the car is off. Any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2024 | 09:09 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Originally Posted by puntingforwords
Got everything plugged in and working but somehow the head unit won’t turn off even when the car is off. Any thoughts?
Sounds like the constant 12VDC is connected where the accessory/ignition 12VDC should be connected.
Old 09-07-2024 | 10:30 AM
puntingforwords
Track Day

Originally Posted by sgtm7
Sounds like the constant 12VDC is connected where the accessory/ignition 12VDC should be connected.
looking at my quad lock connector it looks like the pin 15, the battery 12v is present but not pin 16 which is the accessory/ignition. If I switch the position of pin 15 then I should be good right?

Last edited by puntingforwords; 09-07-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2024 | 10:43 AM
kingkonst
6th Gear

Originally Posted by myw
perfect - glad u figured it out!
I did, and I am happy to report, that everything works now as it should.

Very happy with the unit, the only thing I have yet to figure out is the MF steering wheel controls, Volume+/- is switched on the steering wheel, everything else works just fine.

Also would very interested to get your DSP settings, I am. playing around, but since I have no real idea what I am doing, a starting point would be great.
Old 09-09-2024 | 12:56 PM
LuckyPierre
AutoX

Just got my radio and this wiring harness. I have a 997.2 with Bose and it seems that this is the wrong harness. Or am I missing something?
Following because I partially installed a new unit yesterday in my 997.2 w/Bose and having the exact same issue. Seems like everything works (sound on and is good, I see radio station in dash, etc.) except the unit/screen stays on after removing the key. I see in post #1338 and elsewhere this issue has come up before but I'm not clear on what the resolution is.
Old 09-09-2024 | 06:06 PM
LuckyPierre
AutoX

Originally Posted by LuckyPierre
Following because I partially installed a new unit yesterday in my 997.2 w/Bose and having the exact same issue. Seems like everything works (sound on and is good, I see radio station in dash, etc.) except the unit/screen stays on after removing the key. I see in post #1338 and elsewhere this issue has come up before but I'm not clear on what the resolution is.
Sorry I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote this one.
Old 09-11-2024 | 10:21 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Based on everything I read here I purchased a Owtosin 8"1280*720P Qualcomm 665 6G+128G Android 12 Car DVD GPS Radio For Porsche 911 Boxster Cayman 987 Head Unit Auto Stereo on AliExpress website like so many of you. The installation was straightforward and I've been very happy with the results. I have 2 questions, maybe 3 that I've not been able to figure here after many searches.

1) Is there a link to an online User Manual? If so I haven't been able to locate it.
2) After a bit of wiring attention my FM receiver works quite well, but now it won't stop seeking/scanning/searching. What do I do to keep it on a station for more than 10 seconds?
3) The built in GPS I've never been able to get to work, It won't pull anything up, at all and says something about Israel when it loads.

These are things I've been unable to resolve on my own despite a lot of time invested. Yes, I use CarPlay and what not, but these are things I'd like to work, particularly the FM radio.
Old 09-12-2024 | 03:01 PM
prestonj67
Intermediate

Do any of these 997 specific aftermarket units have a digital output via optical or coax ?
The Joying Android units do but they don't make a 997 specific model. Their floating screen solution would work but I would prefer one of these that look more OEM.
Old 09-13-2024 | 01:35 AM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Default Bump

Originally Posted by Michaelc
Based on everything I read here I purchased a Owtosin 8"1280*720P Qualcomm 665 6G+128G Android 12 Car DVD GPS Radio For Porsche 911 Boxster Cayman 987 Head Unit Auto Stereo on AliExpress website like so many of you. The installation was straightforward and I've been very happy with the results. I have 2 questions, maybe 3 that I've not been able to figure here after many searches.

1) Is there a link to an online User Manual? If so I haven't been able to locate it.
2) After a bit of wiring attention my FM receiver works quite well, but now it won't stop seeking/scanning/searching. What do I do to keep it on a station for more than 10 seconds?
3) The built in GPS I've never been able to get to work, It won't pull anything up, at all and says something about Israel when it loads.

These are things I've been unable to resolve on my own despite a lot of time invested. Yes, I use CarPlay and what not, but these are things I'd like to work, particularly the FM radio.

Anyone?
Old 09-13-2024 | 09:09 PM
LuckyPierre
AutoX

Originally Posted by Michaelc
This one is from Amluc but take a look and see if it helps for your unit.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-head-unit.pdf
Old 09-13-2024 | 10:34 PM
LuckyPierre
AutoX

looking at my quad lock connector it looks like the pin 15, the battery 12v is present but not pin 16 which is the accessory/ignition. If I switch the position of pin 15 then I should be good right?
Getting back to my install after the work week. I did not move any pins. However I made two changes tonight and solved this issue for my 997.2 w/ Bose:

1. I had originally spliced the red ACC wire on the MOST box to the green wire on the car side of the harness (CAN WAKE). After reading through this thread I changed this and now the red ACC wire on the MOST box is connected to the Blue Auto Ant wire on the harness.

2. I went into my into Settings -> Factory -> 3368 and set "Antenna normally on" to OFF. No idea why this was set to ON but as soon as I changed that setting (with key removed) the unit went off so that was definitely a problem keeping the unit alive with the key out.

Now the unit turns on and off with the key. Success! Now on to the reverse camera.

Old 09-15-2024 | 10:05 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuckyPierre
This one is from Amluc but take a look and see if it helps for your unit.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-head-unit.pdf
Thank you! Thart's similar to what came with mine. I was able to fix the constant seeking on the FM radio by reseting it and erasing all the saved data (stations). Aftet this it has worked perfectly. I still can't figure out the built in GPS, it won't find the car. The NAV apps all work perfectly.
Old 09-16-2024 | 05:36 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

After having bought one which was DOA on delivery

Spent hours today going through this thread - wish I had seen it prior!
2009 C2S with Bose
Bought based on link here from https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
Got this spec Qualcomm Snapdragon, 6G + 128G with Bose fiber optical adapter.

Questions:
In post 927 how get this launcher and background?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18907043

THANKS!
Old 09-16-2024 | 07:33 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by finally!
After having bought one which was DOA on delivery

Spent hours today going through this thread - wish I had seen it prior!
2009 C2S with Bose
Bought based on link here from https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
Got this spec Qualcomm Snapdragon, 6G + 128G with Bose fiber optical adapter.

Questions:
In post 927 how get this launcher and background?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18907043

THANKS!
You need a 7862 CPU based Model.

Contact @MattDevoCustoms He may be able to create a custom file for your CPU.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!