Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 11:22 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks so much Matt!
I think I've got it now.
I will look in the morning for a black/blue wire behind the fuse box near the driver's feet and then plan to splice the #3 wire from the main 16-pin connector (it is brown on my unit) to that black/blue cable.
Not sure I have an unused wire with the attached pin that will fit into the small 'F-Plug' - I'm guessing the pins on the unused harness are too large - do I need F2 (NC) for anything? It's not connected to anything. I will go to an auto store if I can't find an unused pin.

As for the rest, your image is perfect, I just got to figure out the best way to route the cable to the rear bumper - was thinking under the side trim on the center console, but the driver side under the carpet/trunk release buttons is probably as easy.
Any other advice on routing, best way to get to the cam mounting point which will be just above the license plate in the center?

Oh, and what gauge wire should I use for the splice on the trigger wire to the black/blue? EDIT: thanks @scadams for letting me know it's 16 gauge
Thanks again, will report back how it all goes.

Last edited by Globespy; 09-20-2023 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:26 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Globespy
Thanks so much Matt!
I think I've got it now.
I will look in the morning for a black/blue wire behind the fuse box near the driver's feet and then plan to splice the #3 wire from the main 16-pin connector (it is brown on my unit) to that black/blue cable.
Not sure I have an unused wire with the attached pin that will fit into the small 'F-Plug' - I'm guessing the pins on the unused harness are too large - do I need F2 (NC) for anything? It's not connected to anything. I will go to an auto store if I can't find an unused pin.

As for the rest, your image is perfect, I just got to figure out the best way to route the cable to the rear bumper - was thinking under the side trim on the center console, but the driver side under the carpet/trunk release buttons is probably as easy.
Any other advice on routing, best way to get to the cam mounting point which will be just above the license plate in the center?

Oh, and what gauge wire should I use for the splice on the trigger wire to the black/blue? EDIT: thanks @scadams for letting me know it's 16 gauge
Thanks again, will report back how it all goes.
On the plug with all the unused RCAs and SIM card, there's often an unused blue wire on pin 1 - you can move that over. All of the pins on the secondary plugs are the same size.

I ran the camera wire to the left along with the license plate light wiring, thru the tail light grommet on the driver side into the cabin, then along the driver side floor/trim - just tucked it under the trim or carpet using a trim tool.

The reverse trigger wire is 18ga. it's a very low current wire, even 20/22ga is sufficient, but 18 makes it easy to use the 18-22 gauge quick disconnects on both ends. It also matches the wire you'll be tapping into

Last edited by MattDevoCustoms; 09-20-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:47 PM
c1n3ma
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Granted I have a 987.1, but is this still the best option other than the PCCM plus from Porsche? I want a OEM look, with Carplay, and a backup camera would be a nice addition. However I am inexperienced in dealing with this stuff, and reading through the forums the potential problems seem concerning. I have the BOSE system.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:42 PM
c1n3ma
Advanced

Originally Posted by myw
There will be another version, sold outside of aliExpress (the faceplate wont be available on the cheap units) that will sell for slightly more - it will have the 2024 cpu's and further android hardware / software changes.

But will have a faceplate + dials (fully light up) - that will have an even better color match + a design that will look practically oem. Alongside install manual/video + mounting hardware to ensure perfect fitment. It will be approx a year before this happens.

Is this one still on the way? If there's going to be a better version coming out in early 2024, I might just wait. I only have another 2 months driving before winter comes anyways. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2023, 02:56 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Dang it...I ordered 16 guage, overkill but it will work just fine even if I have to solder if the quick connects I have are too large for the 18 gauge.
Thanks for the guide on where you put the wiring.
Can't wait to have this installed and then I need to go to a local P-Car shop to have them fix my heated seats which stopped working after a main battery change - I read this is a common problem. I think some of the AutoZone type stores have readers only so unlikely that they could enable the heated seats?
Old 09-20-2023, 03:02 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

Dang it...I ordered 16 guage, overkill but it will work just fine even if I have to solder if the quick connects I have are too large for the 18 gauge.
Thanks for the guide on where you put the wiring.
Can't wait to have this installed and then I need to go to a local P-Car shop to have them fix my heated seats which stopped working after a main battery change - I read this is a common problem. I think some of the AutoZone type stores have readers only so unlikely that they could enable the heated seats?
you need to do a dealer handover with a piwis.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:03 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

@c1n3ma - it's actually a lot easier than you would think. If you don't need or care to add a reverse backup camera, even easier.
There's really helpful people on here, and lots of images - remember the units have improved since the first folks started installing these 3 years ago.
I also have the BOSE system in my 987.1 Boxster S, and it's literally 3 wires to connect and plug in the factory fiber optic cable into the provided box.
I wanted a backup cam, so a little more work, but I'm planning on giving the car to my daughter so it lowers the chances of dings.
Compared to the the OEM PCM options, there's no comparison - many in this thread will attest to that. And for a tiny fraction of the price of OEM, especially if you have them install it.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:05 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
you need to do a dealer handover with a piwis.
Thanks, figured as much.
Have a P-Car shop (not dealer) a few miles from here who will be able to help. A lot less expensive too.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:09 PM
arscottp
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 135 Posts

Quick question regarding some of the units. I've seen focus on matching the grey color/aesthetic of the OEM PCM. What about the button backlighting? Do any units match the OEM button backlight color? Not trying to have severely mismatched colors
Old 09-20-2023, 06:11 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Thanks, figured as much.
Have a P-Car shop (not dealer) a few miles from here who will be able to help. A lot less expensive too.
I ended up buying a piwis. It literally takes 5minutes max to do. Everyone wanted $300
Old 09-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

@c1n3ma - it's actually a lot easier than you would think. If you don't need or care to add a reverse backup camera, even easier.
There's really helpful people on here, and lots of images - remember the units have improved since the first folks started installing these 3 years ago.
I also have the BOSE system in my 987.1 Boxster S, and it's literally 3 wires to connect and plug in the factory fiber optic cable into the provided box.
I wanted a backup cam, so a little more work, but I'm planning on giving the car to my daughter so it lowers the chances of dings.
Compared to the the OEM PCM options, there's no comparison - many in this thread will attest to that. And for a tiny fraction of the price of OEM, especially if you have them install it.
do you have a rec for which brand to buy? So hard to decide. I have a 997.1 with Bose.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:57 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by arscottp
Quick question regarding some of the units. I've seen focus on matching the grey color/aesthetic of the OEM PCM. What about the button backlighting? Do any units match the OEM button backlight color? Not trying to have severely mismatched colors
the button backlight is configurable in any RGB color, and on some models, intensity as well
Old 09-20-2023, 07:04 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

do you have a rec for which brand to buy? So hard to decide. I have a 997.1 with Bose.
either the Owtosin unit with the Qualcomm CPU, or the Heregoes unit with the UIS7862 CPU. You'll need the fiber optic box (extra ~$100) option for either.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:47 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

I ended up buying a piwis. It literally takes 5minutes max to do. Everyone wanted $300
I guess if you needed to use it a lot then it would make sense as from a quick check they are expensive gadgets!
I'll take it for a cabin air filter change (or something cheap) and casually mention the heated seats stopped working after battery change - it's literally no skin off the tech's nose to re-enable the heated seats.
TBH - they should do this for free as it's something that shouldn't happen - changing the battery shouldn't cause the car to forget it has heated seats!
Old 09-21-2023, 12:24 PM
c1n3ma
Advanced

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
either the Owtosin unit with the Qualcomm CPU, or the Heregoes unit with the UIS7862 CPU. You'll need the fiber optic box (extra ~$100) option for either.
Wow, looks like the Qualcomm version is almost twice the price of a 4GB Ram Owtosin unit. ($330 vs $490+$80 shipping). Is it really worth the difference? Also going back I'm still curious if they're going to make a better revision for 2024 or not.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!