Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 07:08 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

for UIS7862 (FYT) units, a full firmware update (kernel, OS, apps, bootsplash, launcher, icons, background, custom apps to remap physical buttons). For all others, just the UI bits (launcher, icons, background, maybe boot splash)
I really don't know much about what can be done with an Android head unit. I got it as an alternative to the PCCM+ from Porsche. But I am open to adding anything the unit once I get a replacement. What can be done with these things? I was going to get the OBDII reader and TPMS for it.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:37 AM
Steve James
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fridsten
Sooo... I wanted one of these units for my Boxster 986.
Before the summer I got in touch with a seller on Aliexpress. He told me that they were working on on for the 986/996 generation, but they wanted an original head unit in order to get everything right.
In 2016 I replaced my PCM1 with an Android unit (Zeepin DY7098), so the old unit was just lying in my attic. I sent it to China so they could borrow is. Yesterday I was rewarded!
It's obvious that they used the buttons from the 987/997 unit, and it might have been more appropriate with oval, gloss black buttons. But honestly, this is so good I don't mind at all.

here is the link
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805614559410.html

Last edited by Steve James; 09-07-2023 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:56 AM
fridsten
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve James
That looks great! What launcher are you using?
Old 09-16-2023, 02:09 PM
drawz
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
XDA community: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/f...d-units.12445/

I use Nova Launcher with the Lines icon pack. To change the buttons, I use both FytHwOneKey and a mod from the XDA forums since neither covers all the buttons. I also use a shortcut app to allow launching the built-in carplay/AA from the NAVI button.

I've compiled a self-installing update image which will update the Apps/kernel to the latest versions, remove the crappy Chinese voice/touch assistant and similar crap, install the above mentioned launcher, icons, mods, bootsplash, and background I posted above. If interested, shoot me a PM or DM on IG.
Is this any public info posted about this image? I'm considering a Macan Android head unit that I believe is also UIS7862 based. Any idea if your stuff would work with it?
Old 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by drawz
Is this any public info posted about this image? I'm considering a Macan Android head unit that I believe is also UIS7862 based. Any idea if your stuff would work with it?
I can make something that works for any UIS7862-based HU. Shoot me a PM with a link to the unit you're looking at so I can confirm though
Old 09-18-2023, 02:38 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a new Android unit from AMLUC on AliExpress.
Got the head unit working quite easily, still have to install USB, GPS Puck, 4G Antennae and most importantly rear backup camera.
The sound is pretty good (BOSE factory stereo) connected through the supplied fiber optic box - will the use of the the fiber optic box mean that the factory Bose amp is being used instead of the Android Head Unit amp, or are there settings to change in the unit?

I have a pretty good install guide from the seller (full guide with rear camera install guide image attached below), but wanted to ask some questions about the best way to do this - car is Manual 6-speed 987.1 Boxster S (I'm in the US).
I've read that splicing into the rear tail lights is no longer the best way to do this, and since I also have aftermarket LED tail lights that have their own 'control box', I'm more apprehensive about splicing into these as I don't know enough about them to know if trying to get the backup camera to work will impact the functionality of the tail lights.
What's the best way to wire the rear backup camera for power, and to ensure it activates when the car is put in reverse, and in terms of wiring routing is it best to tuck under center console or under the plastic door sills? Also, driver side or passenger side?
Install pics/video would be terrific if anyone has these?

Additionally, would appreciate some install advice for the cleanest/most OEM look for the USB/4G Sim card adapter and where is the best place to mount the GPS antennae.
I've seen some really cool looking UI's on here with the Porsche Logo etc. Would love to change the stock look to have that factory UI look. My unit is 8GB/256GB Qualcomm Snapdragon Android 12.
Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Globespy; 09-18-2023 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 05:38 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myw
reverse cam trigger does not go thru the canBus re Manual cars as there is no transControlModule. Feeding the reverse light 12v signal from the taillight / kick panel into either the primary (or 2ndary) reverse trigger (both pink wires on eitther the main harness or the camera specific harness) will trigger.

MAKE SURE to power the camera from the pcm and not the tailLight - the fCam app will then give you access to the rear cam (+front if installed) anytime (not just when in reverse). Id highly recommend installing both front + rear stealth cameras.

SIM 4g card slot should work (altho I havent tested) … that harness for the 4g adapter was used for an extra 2 usb inputs for up to android 10/11 units iirc.

As for the delay - there maybe a setting in the secret menu somewhere to adjust that - check thoroughly.

I’d also recommend using the unit in native OS and not android auto / CarPlay. You can do so much more (run any app Vs being restricted)

pls post a photo of the unit installed - keep in mind I had the unit designed so that the faceplate can be disassembled in full - for custom painting (oem leather wrap etc - if needed).
I'm in the process of connecting the backup camera and am a bit confused on how to power correctly?
You say "Feeding the reverse light 12v signal from the taillight / kick panel into either the primary (or 2ndary) reverse trigger (both pink wires on either the main harness or the camera specific harness) will trigger", but then in the next sentence advise not to power from the taillight?
Perhaps I am getting confused on what 'powering' means?
This is the image sent by the seller of my unit for connecting the rear camera. As you can see it has a connector (pink cable with what looks like antennae - would this be for a bluetooth camera with rechargeable battery) that comes from the rear of the unit I assume to provide power.
But then you see that there's a connection made at the taillight that also says power?

Also, you say it's best to NOT use Android CarPlay, but how do I get navigation without doing this? Do I need to get a separate sim card and put in the included 4G sim card adapter so that it doesn't use the phone's maps via bluetooth?
Appreciate help here.

Last edited by Globespy; 09-18-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:38 PM
Joseph77
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Globespy

I'm in the process of connecting the backup camera and am a bit confused on how to power correctly?
You say "Feeding the reverse light 12v signal from the taillight / kick panel into either the primary (or 2ndary) reverse trigger (both pink wires on either the main harness or the camera specific harness) will trigger", but then in the next sentence advise not to power from the taillight?
Perhaps I am getting confused on what 'powering' means?
This is the image sent by the seller of my unit for connecting the rear camera. As you can see it has a connector (pink cable with what looks like antennae - would this be for a bluetooth camera with rechargeable battery) that comes from the rear of the unit I assume to provide power.
But then you see that there's a connection made at the taillight that also says power?

Also, you say it's best to NOT use Android CarPlay, but how do I get navigation without doing this? Do I need to get a separate sim card and put in the included 4G sim card adapter so that it doesn't use the phone's maps via bluetooth?
Appreciate help here.
Yes me too! I'm about to wire in a reverse camera and I'm curious where is the best place to tap 12v ? And also why it's not recommended to get 12v from the tail light like with other cars.
Old 09-19-2023, 01:55 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

this is absolutely not how I recommend wiring the reverse camera (at least for a 997.1).

The reverse trigger for the HU, if not provided by the CANBUS box (which it is on tiptronic), should be sourced from under the driver seat (blue/black wire going into the control module under the carpet/seat). The HU then powers the camera directly via the piggyback wire on the RCA (This wire may need to be added to the same plug as the camera video input). The camera +12v connects to the other end of the piggyback wire on the RCA. The ground is not needed.

The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:01 AM
Globespy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
this is absolutely not how I recommend wiring the reverse camera (at least for a 997.1).

The reverse trigger for the HU, if not provided by the CANBUS box (which it is on tiptronic), should be sourced from under the driver seat (blue/black wire going into the control module under the carpet/seat). The HU then powers the camera directly via the piggyback wire on the RCA (This wire may need to be added to the same plug as the camera video input). The camera +12v connects to the other end of the piggyback wire on the RCA. The ground is not needed.

My car is 987.1 which I'm guessing will be the same guidance as 997.1?
What is the connector provided by the seller (in the picture with the two small antennas) that comes from the rear of the HU?
Also there is a wire being connected from the harness, which is connected to the CAN US and fiber optic boxes.
What is lost by going this route? If it's only the ability to view the rear view camera without the manual reverse gear engaged, then I'm ok with that since that's pretty much how most OEM backup cameras operate. I'm just looking for a backup camera that turns on when the car is put in reverse (again manual transmission) just like the majority of newer cars.
If there's other reasons to not wire this way, or if this seller suggested method simply won't work then please advise. I won't do a thing until I'm clear on everything.
Many thanks for your reply Matt.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:42 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

My car is 987.1 which I'm guessing will be the same guidance as 997.1?
What is the connector provided by the seller (in the picture with the two small antennas) that comes from the rear of the HU?
that is the reverse camera video input, plug F in the diagram below. Pin F7 (Cam +12v) is not provided for some reason in these harnesses, though it is on the same plug for another vehicle (like the Audis I specialize in). I just move an unused wire from one of the other plugs.

Also there is a wire being connected from the harness, which is connected to the CAN US and fiber optic boxes.
are you referring to the trigger wire? That's what tells the HU to switch to the reverse camera input and provide power to it. It should come from the closest source available, which is under the driver side seat. The brown wire in the pic in my previous post is the trigger wire, normally connected directly to the CANBUS box. I removed it from that connector and added a quick-disconnect to it.

What is lost by going this route? If it's only the ability to view the rear view camera without the manual reverse gear engaged, then I'm ok with that since that's pretty much how most OEM backup cameras operate. I'm just looking for a backup camera that turns on when the car is put in reverse (again manual transmission) just like the majority of newer cars.
If there's other reasons to not wire this way, or if this seller suggested method simply won't work then please advise. I won't do a thing until I'm clear on everything.
Many thanks for your reply Matt.
which route -- mine or the one the reseller suggests? The important difference between the two is that the reseller wants you to power the camera off the reverse light signal, which is IMO bad (it might not like the additional current draw, might use a PWM signal, etc). My setup has the power to the camera provided by the HU, which is going to be clean +12v and not have any problems. It also simplifies the wiring from the camera to the head unit.

Last edited by MattDevoCustoms; 09-19-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:50 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Appreciate help here.
no idea why anyone would say that, these units are essentially Carplay/AA monitors run on an Android tablet. I use mine 95% for carplay, 4.5% for reverse camera, and .5% for ODB diagnostics
Old 09-19-2023, 03:00 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Not gonna lie. I’ve got the pre-**** fascia Owtosin PX6 and, though the ***** are a tad ostentatious on the newer ones, seeing those of y’all with them makes me a little envious. Kinda wish there was a retrofit **** and button fascia kit.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:15 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

@MattDevoCustoms thanks for the reply.
For transparency, my car has the auto-dim mirrors, which I read in a previous post required you to tap power from under the seat on another Porsche car installation you performed.
Does having auto-dim mirrors with the mirror automatically tilting when the car is put in reverse (manual transmission) make this any easier knowing this information?
I think I read you said there should be the same blue/black wire behind the fuse box left of the drivers' feet, which I could use instead of under the seat to splice the brown trigger wire I remove from the CAN BUS to provide power for the reverse trigger?

Here's my understanding of what you have sent:
In your first image with the wiring and the camera unit, you have added a new power wire on Pin#7 to the 'Plug F' connector - or perhaps this is what is included in the Audi wiring that comes with HU?
I need to remove the brown wire (back) (#3 on the 16-pin large connector) from the CAN BUS unit and then splice with a blue/black wire either under the seat or behind the fuse panel to the left of the driver's feet.

Questions:
My F-plug connector has wires attached to pins:
F2 (NC), F6 (CAM Video), F8 (GND), F10 (WIFI-ANT - is this Wifi for the main HU??)
Do I need to add a new Pin#7 to the F-Plug in addition to splicing the brown reverse trigger wire, or does providing power to the reverse trigger wire let the system know to turn on the camera when it detects the car is in reverse gear?
Does the brown trigger wire only need to be spliced to the black/blue wire, or does that connection need to go off elsewhere, maybe up to the red pigtail on the RCA that plugs into the F-PLug if I can't/don't add the Pin#7 for power?

Attaching images of the wiring I received for the camera - you can see that the 6M long piece (yellow RCA plugs) which will connect from the 'reverse camera connector (Plug F) all the way to the camera, already has 'pig-tail' red power connectors on both ends.
I can't see how the camera would get power unless Pin#7 is added to the F-plug connector/power also taken from the same black/blue wire the brown trigger wire is spliced to? Again, not sure how providing power to the brown reverse trigger wire works internally in the HU?
Assuming I need to add Pin#7 to the F-Plug connector, here's my understanding of how it should be wired based on the wiring received from the reseller - if the power needs to instead come from the black/blue where the brown trigger is, then obviously slightly different>
And what gauge wire for the extra runs of wire?:

Sorry if I'm missing something really obvious here, just trying to understand before making mistakes and having to redo things.

Last edited by Globespy; 09-19-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:40 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

@MattDevoCustoms thanks for the reply.
For transparency, my car has the auto-dim mirrors, which I read in a previous post required you to tap power from under the seat on another Porsche car installation you performed.
Does having auto-dim mirrors with the mirror automatically tilting when the car is put in reverse (manual transmission) make this any easier knowing this information?
I think I read you said there should be the same blue/black wire behind the fuse box left of the drivers' feet, which I could use instead of under the seat to splice the brown trigger wire I remove from the CAN BUS to provide power for the reverse trigger?
The car on which I did the install did not have AD mirrors, and did not have a black/blue wire in any of the wire bundles behind the kickpanel, so we have to tap the wire going into the module under the seat carpet. If you car has AD mirrors and has the necessary wire behind the fuse panel, then you can use that instead. Also, the trigger wire may not be brown, these resellers get their wiring harnesses from a variety of sources and consistency is not guaranteed. Pink is the most common color for the reverse wire but best to check the pin location on the main harness connector to the HU.

Here's my understanding of what you have sent:
In your first image with the wiring and the camera unit, you have added a new power wire on Pin#7 to the 'Plug F' connector - or perhaps this is what is included in the Audi wiring that comes with HU?
I need to remove the brown wire (back) (#3 on the 16-pin large connector) from the CAN BUS unit and then splice with a blue/black wire either under the seat or behind the fuse panel to the left of the driver's feet.
I add F7 to all the Porsche units as it's not included there. Correct that #3 is the reverse trigger and connects to black/blue wire

Questions:
My F-plug connector has wires attached to pins:
F2 (NC), F6 (CAM Video), F8 (GND), F10 (WIFI-ANT - is this Wifi for the main HU??)
Do I need to add a new Pin#7 to the F-Plug in addition to splicing the brown reverse trigger wire, or does providing power to the reverse trigger wire let the system know to turn on the camera when it detects the car is in reverse gear?
Does the brown trigger wire only need to be spliced to the black/blue wire, or does that connection need to go off elsewhere, maybe up to the red pigtail on the RCA that plugs into the F-PLug if I can't/don't add the Pin#7 for power?
Wifi antenna - yes
F7 is the power from the HU to the camera. G3 is the reverse signal/trigger from the car (or canbus box) to the HU. Both are needed. I don't recommend using the car reverse signal to power the camera. Removing an unused wire from another plug and moving to F7 is pretty trivial.

Attaching images of the wiring I received for the camera - you can see that the 6M long piece (yellow RCA plugs) which will connect from the 'reverse camera connector (Plug F) all the way to the camera, already has 'pig-tail' red power connectors on both ends.
I can't see how the camera would get power unless Pin#7 is added to the F-plug connector/power also taken from the same black/blue wire the brown trigger wire is spliced to? Again, not sure how providing power to the brown reverse trigger wire works internally in the HU?
Assuming I need to add Pin#7 to the F-Plug connector, here's my understanding of how it should be wired based on the wiring received from the reseller - if the power needs to instead come from the black/blue where the brown trigger is, then obviously slightly different>
And what gauge wire for the extra runs of wire?:

Sorry if I'm missing something really obvious here, just trying to understand before making mistakes and having to redo things.
the camera gets power because the HU hw/sw takes power from the main +12v input (yellow wire) and routes it to F7 when the reverse trigger (G3) is active. Think of it as an internal relay.

I would not cut off the red power connector from the camera; instead, trim (to 3" or so) and connect the red wire from the black power plug to the red pigtail on one end of the RCA (the black ground wire can but cut/discarded, it's not needed since there is a ground on the RCA cable). Then wrap it in cloth tape to look nice.
the other pigtail I'd crimp on a male quick disconnect. Then a female QD on the wire from F7. Here's a pic of exactly this on an Audi HU/camera setup with the same plugs:

Last edited by MattDevoCustoms; 09-20-2023 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!