Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 08:44 AM
fridsten
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sooo... I wanted one of these units for my Boxster 986.
Before the summer I got in touch with a seller on Aliexpress. He told me that they were working on on for the 986/996 generation, but they wanted an original head unit in order to get everything right.
In 2016 I replaced my PCM1 with an Android unit (Zeepin DY7098), so the old unit was just lying in my attic. I sent it to China so they could borrow is. Yesterday I was rewarded!
It's obvious that they used the buttons from the 987/997 unit, and it might have been more appropriate with oval, gloss black buttons. But honestly, this is so good I don't mind at all.

The following users liked this post:
MattDevoCustoms (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 10:05 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by beantownrich
Thanks @MattDevoCustoms I finally got everything working with sound. Your hunch was right the MOST box was not getting power. I switched where I was tapping the lines. Now onto my final problem, I can't get the SIM active. T-Mobile claims the unit is locked, I can see 2 SIM slots in the settings and it seems like one slot is pulling in the T-Mobile settings and the other maybe China Unicom but I can't figure out the crossover. So back into forum fishing!
did you set the APNs for Tmo?
Old 08-22-2023, 10:54 PM
beantownrich
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
did you set the APNs for Tmo?
In the APN screen its already set and selected. But then instead of showing bars it shows emergency calls only. T-Mobile claims the IMEI is carrier locked, but when I ran the IMEI it seems like its more just not compatible with their network/what they're looking for. I dug around the XDA forums for a while and saw two potential solutions. Spoof the IMEI which I can't do since I'm not rooted and also feels wrong or get the SIM card to activate on another device and then swap it back over. So I ordered a $14 T-Mobile hotspot to see if that does the trick. I've also seen that the cables could have poor connections in the head unit, but I'm not ready to open it yet to investigate.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:42 AM
leloupgris
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by latonnelier
Okie Dokie, here we go.
I just wanted the head unit to mount into the chassis solid and stay there so I did two things.
First, I got a second securing screw for the left side to match the right side screw on the car console chassis. Mine only came with the right side so I'm assuming that's the way they made it but there is another hole on the left side that matches the right side screw position.

The other thing I did was construct a pair of rails from some 1/4" Aluminum channel stock I picked up at Ace Hardware, I also got 6, #3 x 3/8 (maybe they were listed as #3x10mm) and cut 2 pieces with a length of 125mm then cut the open sides so they were about 5mm tall.
[...]
After a bit of fitting, I found that there was a step down on the rear channel guide in the console chassis, I made a cut to set the rail width at 8mm but ended up at ~7.5mm. This "step cut" started at 40mm from the stepped end. This is also where the first mounting hole was located, I drill that hole and then lined the front hole up to mark its position. Just so you know I cut all of this by hand with a hacksaw and finished with a couple of flat files.
[...]
I used a dab of loctite on the screws and only used 2 screws on each rail as the middle screw hole is in front of one of the electronics pieces in the head unit on the right side.
There you have it. The head unit now slides in easily and locks (and can be located side to side) with the two screws. It has stayed in place for the last 3 months and is easy to remove and reinstall.
Thanks,
Gary
That's clever. I am not happy with my fitment and I will try to use your method. Thanks for sharing. How's your fitment? Do the gaps look ok?
Old 08-24-2023, 02:32 AM
TurboKoo
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fridsten
Sooo... I wanted one of these units for my Boxster 986.
Before the summer I got in touch with a seller on Aliexpress. He told me that they were working on on for the 986/996 generation, but they wanted an original head unit in order to get everything right.
In 2016 I replaced my PCM1 with an Android unit (Zeepin DY7098), so the old unit was just lying in my attic. I sent it to China so they could borrow is. Yesterday I was rewarded!
It's obvious that they used the buttons from the 987/997 unit, and it might have been more appropriate with oval, gloss black buttons. But honestly, this is so good I don't mind at all.

I'm not at all familiar how Android or this head unit works. I have this and I have installed it, everything works but I cannot get my head around how to change default music player. I have tried different themes but no luck.
Could someone make a quick Android for dummies so I can get better user experience.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:41 AM
fridsten
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboKoo
I'm not at all familiar how Android or this head unit works. I have this and I have installed it, everything works but I cannot get my head around how to change default music player. I have tried different themes but no luck.
Could someone make a quick Android for dummies so I can get better user experience.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the default music player looks for songs stored on the unit or the SD card.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:37 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Well this blows. The 8-pin female connector on my Owtosin MOST box failed so now it won’t turn on and power the amp. I checked the harness and male connector going in and both 12V and ACC are getting power. Checked the soldered ends on the board and get nothing.
I sent them a message about it. Hopefully I’ll get a response soon.

Last edited by scadams; 08-24-2023 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:22 AM
leloupgris
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scadams
Well this blows. The 8-pin female connector on my Owtosin MOST box failed so now it won’t turn on and power the amp. I checked the harness and male connector going in and both 12V and ACC are getting power. Checked the soldered ends on the board and get nothing.
I sent them a message about it. Hopefully I’ll get a response soon.
Sorry to hear that. The connector is not too small. You opened it? Should not be extremely hard to replace it. Should be able to find the connector on ebay or aliexpress. Or a new MOST box on aliexpress.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:34 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leloupgris
Sorry to hear that. The connector is not too small. You opened it? Should not be extremely hard to replace it. Should be able to find the connector on ebay or aliexpress. Or a new MOST box on aliexpress.
Yeah. The cover pops off easily. I wanted to verify whether or not it was the box so I just used my multimeter to check the pins on the board.
Fortunately they replied quickly and I ordered a replacement one.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:04 AM
mytblue
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

morning all,

I have a 2006 997, w/ Bose, & bought the 8"1280*720P Android 12 Qualcomm SM6215 8Core 6G+128G Car DVD GPS Radio. I may have this sucker installed, but wanted to check on which harness is used with a PCM 2.1, harness A or B. My box came without the instruction manual, & haven't found the answer in this thread thus far.

Thanks all
David
Old 08-25-2023, 07:50 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Back in business. I cut out the old MOST harness as well and used solder seal connectors on the new one instead of T-taps, and wrapped everything back up in harness tape. The MOST and CANBUS adapters are also wrapped in harness tape to avoid any possible rattling noises.

The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 08-25-2023, 11:11 PM
F1 Kevin M
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the Owtosin unit is where im headed. I don’t want to do the install myself, any recommendations for installers north of NYC (I’m in CT / Westchester county)?
Old 08-30-2023, 05:40 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Best AliExpress Android Replacement for 2005 987 BS with Bose?

Appreciate some recommendations for the best option to replace my CDR-24 basic CD player.
I am looking for silver and I understand I need the MOST adapter for BOSE systems?
Do these Android Head units allow bypass of their amp to be able to use the BOSE amp in my car? I read somewhere that there's a setting in the head unit that can do this - the customer connected the ACC wire on the optical box to the blue amplifier control wire. Not to ACC. For the amplifier control to work he had to enable amplifier control in the device menu of the Android Head Unit, and says sound quality was excellent.
If we can bypass the HU's built in DSP, using the MOST adapter to integrate with the original BOSE AMP/Speakers, then does the DSP amp chip really matter? I've read that the TDA7850 is the better DSP Amp chip, but if we are able to just use the BOSE system, should it matter what DSP Amp Chip is built into the HU?
I'm just trying to understand what I actually need to purchase, avoiding all the opinions about this or that DSP chip, and I am inexperienced with this stuff.

Also, with these Android 12.0 Head Units, how much RAM is considered enough for a smooth experience (is 8GB really necessary, if not would 2GB or 4GB still have a nice experience if they sell in such configurations?), and is the ROM just for if you want to store music on the head unit when you are unable to stream from your phone?

Wireless Apple/Android play, no need for video playback or anything too fancy - just want an updated system that my daughter can connect her iphone/android phone to and be able to use the stereo to talk on her phone/use google maps for directions etc.
I'm looking at these options, but don't know which one to choose? Should I use the Snapdragon or ARM cores?
Link is for the model with 6G+128G was looking for something in the $400 range, and these seem to be 2G+32G for the Owtosin unit which I don't know is going to be a good [enough] experience?
8"1280*720P Qualcomm SM6215 8Core 6G+128G Android 12 Car DVD GPS Radio For Porsche 911 Boxster Cayman 987 Head Unit Auto Stereo - AliExpress

Also, has anyone got any knowledge of Sadocom units? They look the same as the Owtosin units but maybe better value, and I'm wondering if they are the same thing as is often the case with Chinese sellers putting their own brand on the same things I can get a 6G+128G with the MOST fiber adapter for $421 and they have free shipping unlike Owtosin which would be over $600 with shipping.
Seems like main differences are Owtosin has TD7850 IC Amp chip and the Sadocom has TD7851 Amp chip. Again, if I intend to use the BOSE amp then does this matter?
720P CarPlay 8" 2 din Android 12.0 Car DVD player 8 Core 4GB DSP multimedia GPS autoradio For Porsche 911 997 987 Cayman Boxster - AliExpress|

And there's these, which use Snapdragon 6125 and DSP AMP 7680 with Bose Fiber Box - 6G RAM/128G ROM which again look identical to the other units but less expensive at $402 and also free shipping:
For Porsche Cayman Boxster 911 997 987 2004 - 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 year Car Head Unit Carplay multimedia Player GPS Android - AliExpress

I'm ok with installation as long as these are straight forward and mostly plug and play with clear instructions for any wires that need soldered.
Appreciate any advice.

Last edited by Globespy; 08-31-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:48 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this unit the XTRONS one from Amazon?
Amazon.com: XTRONS Car Stereo for Porsche 911 Boxster with Optical Fiber Decoder, Android 12 Octa Core 4GB+64GB Car Radio, 8” IPS Touch Screen GPS Navigation for Car Bluetooth Head Unit DSP Car Play Android Auto : Electronics Amazon.com: XTRONS Car Stereo for Porsche 911 Boxster with Optical Fiber Decoder, Android 12 Octa Core 4GB+64GB Car Radio, 8” IPS Touch Screen GPS Navigation for Car Bluetooth Head Unit DSP Car Play Android Auto : Electronics

Are you happy with it? Was it fairly easy to install?
How's the sound quality on the BOSE system compared to your old factory OEM unit?
I think I prefer the look of the Owtosin units, but buying from Amazon with their return policy seems much safer than AliExpress. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:03 AM
PajamaShark
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
XDA community: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/f...d-units.12445/

I use Nova Launcher with the Lines icon pack. To change the buttons, I use both FytHwOneKey and a mod from the XDA forums since neither covers all the buttons. I also use a shortcut app to allow launching the built-in carplay/AA from the NAVI button.

I've compiled a self-installing update image which will update the Apps/kernel to the latest versions, remove the crappy Chinese voice/touch assistant and similar crap, install the above mentioned launcher, icons, mods, bootsplash, and background I posted above. If interested, shoot me a PM or DM on IG.
I'm a bit late to the party here (car was in the shop for awhile getting cams and coolant lines pinned ), but now that I'm getting to drive my 911 daily again I'm starting to feel some of the quirks of this unit a bit more. I have the latest OwTowsin unit with the Qualcomm CPU, and I get the terrible echo/delay on BT calls, Waze crashes a lot, and it won't detect my 4g SIM - similar issues as everyone else here has reported.

@MattDevoCustoms I have two questions for you, if you'd be so kind: 1. Will your update package work with Qualcomm CPU units, or is the RockChip PX CPU required? I spent a lot of time searching XDA, but it's still not clear to me what's supported by the community and what isn't (is FYT the chipset type?). And second, in your experience does the app/kernel update fix any of the common issues we're seeing on here? How does it improve things in general? I'd be willing to try anything to fix the BT call quality issues, which drives my wife crazy.

In any case your UI theme looks excellent, so I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try if you're up to sharing! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!