Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not too loud, my hope is that it is ok.

Last edited by idlook2; 07-18-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:04 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts

I thought I read that 997.2 bores could not be viewed from the sump area? (without more disassembly)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I thought I read that 997.2 bores could not be viewed from the sump area? (without more disassembly)
Oh really. Anyone else with insight into this?
Old 07-17-2019, 04:42 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
You may be correct. The info I'm referencing is Jake's videos on bore scoring, but those seem to be M9X specific. We may have to defer to one of the 9A1 experts to elaborate.

Regardless, I don't believe scoping the bores from the top tells the full story, regardless if it is a M96/M97 or 9A1. For anyone with more knowledge on the subject, please feel free to correct me.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Spoke to shop owner again - he said he can definitely scope the bores from the bottom, if the sump etc is disassembled (he did say it's quite a bit more disassembly) - he said he would do that if, after scoping everything from the top, it looks totally clean and he calls to let me know. Of course, if he sees badness from the top of the cylinder, no need to really go any further...glad to hear that he is on the same page as me though. He said he will actually get to it tomorrow, so hopefully I have an update for you gents soon. Keeping fingers crossed - thanks again for all of the input.

Evan
Old 07-17-2019, 05:26 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
Spoke to shop owner again - he said he can definitely scope the bores from the bottom, if the sump etc is disassembled (he did say it's quite a bit more disassembly) - he said he would do that if, after scoping everything from the top, it looks totally clean and he calls to let me know. Of course, if he sees badness from the top of the cylinder, no need to really go any further...glad to hear that he is on the same page as me though. He said he will actually get to it tomorrow, so hopefully I have an update for you gents soon. Keeping fingers crossed - thanks again for all of the input.

Evan
Good to know. Considering your situation, I still think that dropping the sump to check for debris might be in order. You probably need as many data points as you can get. You definitely don't want to get the all-clear from your Indy because he didn't see scoring at the top of the cylinder, only for something catastrophic to happen a month or two down the road when you're out of your 30-day warranty. If it were me, I would have them be as thorough and invasive as necessary to provide you with answers, even if it costs a couple hundred more to drop the sump.

Also, be sure that they take lots of pictures. Pictures from the scope cam, pictures of the oil filter and/or sump if debris is present, etc. You'll likely need that when/if you need to go to battle with the dealership in CA that you bought the car from.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:34 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Good to know. Considering your situation, I still think that dropping the sump to check for debris might be in order. You probably need as many data points as you can get. You definitely don't want to get the all-clear from your Indy because he didn't see scoring at the top of the cylinder, only for something catastrophic to happen a month or two down the road when you're out of your 30-day warranty. If it were me, I would have them be as thorough and invasive as necessary to provide you with answers, even if it costs a couple hundred more to drop the sump.

Also, be sure that they take lots of pictures. Pictures from the scope cam, pictures of the oil filter and/or sump if debris is present, etc. You'll likely need that when/if you need to go to battle with the dealership in CA that you bought the car from.
Agree with you completely. What I meant to say is that if scoping the cylinders from the top shows clear scoring on one or more, we have the answer. He said if there isn't any evidence, he would (with my permission) drop the sump and look at the bores from the bottom. I'd like to do an oil analysis but there has literally been 100-105 miles on the car since the oil and filter were changed - he said he would pull the filter and inspect it anyhow, but not sure if that will be helpful. If the worst is true, I'll have to see how the seller takes it - and whether I want to get it fixed at Flat 6 @Flat6 Innovations or just return the car...that is tbd though depending on the diagnostic stuff...
Old 07-17-2019, 05:50 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Traced the car back to the previous owner if this might be of any benefit.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...in-susp-2.html

https://www.responsemotors.com/used-...-x51-c-448.htm
Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Agree with you completely. What I meant to say is that if scoping the cylinders from the top shows clear scoring on one or more, we have the answer. He said if there isn't any evidence, he would (with my permission) drop the sump and look at the bores from the bottom. I'd like to do an oil analysis but there has literally been 100-105 miles on the car since the oil and filter were changed - he said he would pull the filter and inspect it anyhow, but not sure if that will be helpful. If the worst is true, I'll have to see how the seller takes it - and whether I want to get it fixed at Flat 6 @Flat6 Innovations or just return the car...that is tbd though depending on the diagnostic stuff...
OK, that makes more sense. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Traced the car back to the previous owner if this might be of any benefit.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...in-susp-2.html

https://www.responsemotors.com/used-...-x51-c-448.htm
Thank you - I actually tried to contact that owner through 6 speed prior to buying the car and received no response. I also contacted the subsequent owner (that had it just before it was purchased by the place I bought it from) and received no response...one Rennlister offered the car for sale to me via Rennlist (I had a WTB ad up) on behalf of the previous owner but it sold to the place in CA (yes that's the place I bought it from in your 2nd link) to me buying it. I also want to go on record here by saying that as of now I have no reason to think that the place I bought it from thought there was anything wrong with the car - the owner of that shop has been very responsive. I told him my suspicions yesterday when I received the car; I will of course inform him of results when I have them.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:01 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Thank you - I actually tried to contact that owner through 6 speed prior to buying the car and received no response. I also contacted the subsequent owner (that had it just before it was purchased by the place I bought it from) and received no response...one Rennlister offered the car for sale to me via Rennlist (I had a WTB ad up) on behalf of the previous owner but it sold to the place in CA (yes that's the place I bought it from in your 2nd link) to me buying it. I also want to go on record here by saying that as of now I have no reason to think that the place I bought it from thought there was anything wrong with the car - the owner of that shop has been very responsive. I told him my suspicions yesterday when I received the car; I will of course inform him of results when I have them.
I've had similar situations with trying to contact members on 6speed and not receiving a response. Best of luck and hopefully it's not bad news. Please keep us updated.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:03 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
I've had similar situations with trying to contact members on 6speed and not receiving a response. Best of luck and hopefully it's not bad news. Please keep us updated.
Thanks - I appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (07-17-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by idlook2
I think it sounds like every other 997.2, my guess is that it is fine.

Doesn't sound like any of the two 997.2's I've owned. They do have a ticking sound to them but this sounds more like knocking than ticking. Quiet a bit louder than the normal ticking, at least to my ears.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:43 AM
powahousealex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To me this does not sound normal. I have 997.2 S with x51 as well and it sounds like piston slap . . .
Old 07-18-2019, 04:15 AM
knightma
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like valves to me. When I rebuilt my 3.8 engine it sounded like that for a few seconds on the first start before the oil had circulated and filled the hydraulic tappets.

Can you work out whether it’s once per rev or every 2 revs as that would narrow it down.

Last edited by knightma; 07-18-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)