Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell 997 for 1979 911SC??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 04:55 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,965 Likes on 2,937 Posts

My wife is away for 6 more days - I could really **** her off and take some more money out of savings to step the hell up and buy this beautiful 2017 MT example.
That would make some noise in this house - I'll just tell her it's been too quiet around this freakin place.
And then after she beat me I would have to post it for sale.

Nice wheels - Needs to be lowered just a bit

Old 05-04-2019, 10:19 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Damn, that 2017 is beast for sure but alas it isn’t a 997.��.

I am the Porsche guy in our family. Wifey not so much. Wifey is a Land Rover nut. She had an incredible 2001 Disco, then graduated to the big leagues and bought a beautiful 2014 Range Rover Sport off the showroom floor. She babies the hell out of it. Because the Sport is a garage queen, in 2015, I went out and found a very well preserved 1998 Gems P38 Range Rover with only 40,000 miles.Her and I both drive the hell out of the P38. Yes, I’m always working on it..new valley pan, new air shock compressor, new exhaust, water pump, therm, plugs, ignition coil, Ignition wires, battery, blend motor, plenum filter, heater o rings, valve cover gasket...to name a few. Oh yeah, then there is the whole air ride system. I replaced the air shocks twice, rebuilt the eas valve block before giving in and putting on traditional springs. I took a lot of heat from the p38 world for giving up on the air springs. The hits keep coming...now chasing down power steering leak and AC issues. Such a joy. But I really enjoy driving the snot out of that rig.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Good on you Groove. Hope the SC works out, but you’ll probably find that, like an old girlfriend, going back ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. But it sounds like you have a good lead on another 997 already. One other though - have you ever had a 928? If you haven’t driven one, do yourself a favor and try one out.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

(QuoteMy 2008 Land Rover LR3 is the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned - Much better design than the earlier 1990's models - I've had a couple of those and they were problematic starting with the head gaskets.[/QUOTE]

Actually mine was an early 2000's, not '90s and you got that right aboyt the head gaskets, had mine done twice in 5 years of ownership !!!
Old 05-04-2019, 02:14 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linderpat
Good on you Groove. Hope the SC works out, but you’ll probably find that, like an old girlfriend, going back ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. But it sounds like you have a good lead on another 997 already. One other though - have you ever had a 928? If you haven’t driven one, do yourself a favor and try one out.
928 was my first Porsche back in 1986---> 1980 model silver/black(of course) w/5 speed tranny and sunroof.
The reason I bought it was I borrowed my friends 928 for a 1st date w/hot girl and had a blast Bought one the next week and seller was Vietnam Vet w/Veteran License Plates on it
1st gear syncro was shot but it was a blast to drive.
Then came the 356 combo aircooled 911 addiction for 25 years then watercooled since 2011
Once I got hooked on 911's there was no going back.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
928 was my first Porsche back in 1986---> 1980 model silver/black(of course) w/5 speed tranny and sunroof.
The reason I bought it was I borrowed my friends 928 for a 1st date w/hot girl and had a blast Bought one the next week and seller was Vietnam Vet w/Veteran License Plates on it
1st gear syncro was shot but it was a blast to drive.
Then came the 356 combo aircooled 911 addiction for 25 years then watercooled since 2011
Once I got hooked on 911's there was no going back.
I really enjoy my 928, except at this exact moment where I'm doing an engine push/pull, but my silver 997 is my absolute favorite Pcar. I won't sell any of them though - just add more. The 928 is a German muscle car, especially once supercharged.

I'd like a Macan for the wife's daily duties and a Speedster or air cooled RUF car or 993TT or 964 3.6Turbo at some point.

No interest in anything newer than the 997 except for the 991 speedster that just came out. They've lost me with the 992 and all the other 991s.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:31 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 140.6er
Damn, that 2017 is beast for sure but alas it isn’t a 997.��.
I am the Porsche guy in our family. Wifey not so much. Wifey is a Land Rover nut. She had an incredible 2001 Disco, then graduated to the big leagues and bought a beautiful 2014 Range Rover Sport off the showroom floor. She babies the hell out of it. Because the Sport is a garage queen, in 2015, I went out and found a very well preserved 1998 Gems P38 Range Rover with only 40,000 miles.Her and I both drive the hell out of the P38. Yes, I’m always working on it..new valley pan, new air shock compressor, new exhaust, water pump, therm, plugs, ignition coil, Ignition wires, battery, blend motor, plenum filter, heater o rings, valve cover gasket...to name a few. Oh yeah, then there is the whole air ride system. I replaced the air shocks twice, rebuilt the eas valve block before giving in and putting on traditional springs. I took a lot of heat from the p38 world for giving up on the air springs. The hits keep coming...now chasing down power steering leak and AC issues. Such a joy. But I really enjoy driving the snot out of that rig.
Yeah the later model LR's are far superior in terms of comfort and reliability - My 2008 has been a dream for 2.5 years - Comfy like Mercedes and rugged/powerful as hell.
The 2008 model LR3 is the one to buy - The earlier models had some engine issues - I've had 3 1995/96 era Disco's which was replaced by the LR3 - The Disco's would run forever but head gasket issues, smelly oil soaked valve cover leaks which were hard to remedy - Just a much more prehistoric beast

2008-on have design flaw front control arm bushings.
Mine failed 2 months ago - Bought new front pair $650 on Ebay and having them installed ($700) - If you look on Ebay the front arms like hotcakes and lots of knock-offs at $250-$3--/pr but the authentic LR arms are the only ones to buy

Old 05-04-2019, 03:50 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Having a hard time deciding what to do. Last month my friend who I sold a 1958 356 to in 1998 called me and said he was going to sell and asked me if I wanted to buy it back.
Since my wife limits my toys, I can't have 2 Porsche's and I also don't have the room in my garage which has been a 30 year issue. I also like to change out my Porsche's every year or 2 since getting into the water cooled cars.

Sooo I put ad on Seattle CL to sell my car at $36,750 ----> Have 2 guys who want it. But then my friend called me and got cold feet and is hanging onto his 356 - Told both interested buyers of my 997 I changed my mind due to 356 not working out

Ironically 2 weeks ago I was looking at a 1979 911sc in a beautiful paint to sample grey w/black leather and seats have been redone. Really nice car. That guy also decided he didn't want to sell. His ad on CL was terrible, crappy photos, horrible description/etc and he complained about showing it/blah blah blah - When I looked at it/drove it I was really impressed that it was so tight for having 140K miles but seller put new Koni's all around and is a mechanic with a shop on one of the Islands near Seattle.

This afternoon the seller of 911Sc texted me saying he will sell if I want his car. He is after an old Jaguar he has been after.
The 911SC is a super great deal at $30K and will include the original black Fuchs wheels and brand new Michelin tires----> I told him I'm interested and will see him next week when he gets back into town.

So I contacted the 2 guys via text who were interested in my 997.---> one guy texted me an hour later explaining he wants to buy my car and meet Friday at 10am and has check already to be issued to me at Boeing Credit Union - He lives about 10 minutes from my house
About 2 hours later other interested buyer who is about 5 hours away wants it and is bummed other guy called me 1st but totally understands - He will be 2nd in line

Now I am having second thoughts about selling my 997C4S
I love my car but having an aircooled 911sc back in my hands at a really great price is hard to give up - I guess I can always find another 997 someday which I know I will want.

I'm curious if there are any aircooled guys out there who can feel my pain??
Heres a photo of the car and it will have the stock black Fuchs wheels with new tires:

There is a very nice 1989 Red Speedster on the showroom floor at Bellevue Porsche. Only $167k
Old 05-04-2019, 03:54 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Having a hard time deciding what to do. Last month my friend who I sold a 1958 356 to in 1998 called me and said he was going to sell and asked me if I wanted to buy it back.
Since my wife limits my toys, I can't have 2 Porsche's and I also don't have the room in my garage which has been a 30 year issue. I also like to change out my Porsche's every year or 2 since getting into the water cooled cars.

Sooo I put ad on Seattle CL to sell my car at $36,750 ----> Have 2 guys who want it. But then my friend called me and got cold feet and is hanging onto his 356 - Told both interested buyers of my 997 I changed my mind due to 356 not working out

Ironically 2 weeks ago I was looking at a 1979 911sc in a beautiful paint to sample grey w/black leather and seats have been redone. Really nice car. That guy also decided he didn't want to sell. His ad on CL was terrible, crappy photos, horrible description/etc and he complained about showing it/blah blah blah - When I looked at it/drove it I was really impressed that it was so tight for having 140K miles but seller put new Koni's all around and is a mechanic with a shop on one of the Islands near Seattle.

This afternoon the seller of 911Sc texted me saying he will sell if I want his car. He is after an old Jaguar he has been after.
The 911SC is a super great deal at $30K and will include the original black Fuchs wheels and brand new Michelin tires----> I told him I'm interested and will see him next week when he gets back into town.

So I contacted the 2 guys via text who were interested in my 997.---> one guy texted me an hour later explaining he wants to buy my car and meet Friday at 10am and has check already to be issued to me at Boeing Credit Union - He lives about 10 minutes from my house
About 2 hours later other interested buyer who is about 5 hours away wants it and is bummed other guy called me 1st but totally understands - He will be 2nd in line

Now I am having second thoughts about selling my 997C4S
I love my car but having an aircooled 911sc back in my hands at a really great price is hard to give up - I guess I can always find another 997 someday which I know I will want.

I'm curious if there are any aircooled guys out there who can feel my pain??
Heres a photo of the car and it will have the stock black Fuchs wheels with new tires:

Park your extra cars at Pete Juvets place in Kirkland for 250/month? ) His ads are in Speil. Really nice guy too
Old 05-05-2019, 11:14 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

I am fortunate enough to own both a 2011 997.2 and a 1985 3.2, which I have owned since new. Prior to the 3.2 I owned a 1980 SC, and I don't recall a significant difference.

I find that the weather conditions, and whether I'm by myself, dictate which car I drive . if I'm by myself, and it's not too hot ,or cold and wet, I tend to take the 3.2. I love my 3.2, but the A/C has limitations, and the A/C is necessary when you need heat and it is wet outside because the windows will fog up if you don't run the A/C along with the heat. So make sure the A/C functions, and enjoy your ride! Mike
Old 05-05-2019, 12:59 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mk85911
I am fortunate enough to own both a 2011 997.2 and a 1985 3.2, which I have owned since new. Prior to the 3.2 I owned a 1980 SC, and I don't recall a significant difference.

I find that the weather conditions, and whether I'm by myself, dictate which car I drive . if I'm by myself, and it's not too hot ,or cold and wet, I tend to take the 3.2. I love my 3.2, but the A/C has limitations, and the A/C is necessary when you need heat and it is wet outside because the windows will fog up if you don't run the A/C along with the heat. So make sure the A/C functions, and enjoy your ride! Mike
Nice combo! Hard to find original owner 1985 Carrera!
My main reason for the 911SC is nostalgia mainly - Just really want one back in my garage. I really don't drive my Porsche much these days. An occasional road trip with wife or out to dinner.
Years ago I drove everywhere, I've done numerous trips from Seattle to LA and SF - Hell I drove to the LA Porsche 356 Literature and swap meet 6x in January thru Siskiyou Mountains during the winter snow - Crazy stuff. Would have been a lot more comfy on the 997 however driving a 1959 356 down and back to LA is a fun experience - Never know if you'll make it or what will come up - Like engine getting too hot thats why winter driving is best for 356 - When I drove my 356 in the summer to LA climbing the mountain hills, I would have to try and stay out of the sun by ghosting semi-trucks staying in their shadows.

Another SC came my way from seller who I contacted 3 months ago and just responded 2 days ago - Really nice low mile 1980 911SC, silver/black w/112K miles - Service records. A real beauty. Lots more $ than the grey/black 1979 SC so I'm debating which one to buy.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:17 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 724 Likes on 453 Posts

Only in the world of Porsche when low miles means 110,000 miles.....
Old 05-06-2019, 05:51 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
Only in the world of Porsche when low miles means 110,000 miles.....
Under 3k miles per year...seems pretty low to me

Quick Reply: Sell 997 for 1979 911SC??