Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you STILL love your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019 | 01:17 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATSR
sometimes I still can't believe that it is actually my car!
You ever drive your car and feel unworthy? I am often thinking - "I didn't cure cancer.... I never saved a bunch of puppies from a burning building."

That's the Porsche feeling. It's hard to imagine a finer automobile.
Old 04-10-2019 | 04:30 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
You ever drive your car and feel unworthy? I am often thinking - "I didn't cure cancer.... I never saved a bunch of puppies from a burning building."

That's the Porsche feeling. It's hard to imagine a finer automobile.
Haha agreed!
Old 04-10-2019 | 05:04 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Yes.

To put it in perspective, I could have upgraded a couple of times. I did add some additional sports cars that I also love, but I have no interest in parting ways with my 09 997.2 C4S manual.

Part of it is knowing how great a car it is. Part of it is the fun, the look, the balance ... aggressive, with a great rear. Enough road feedback and enough power to be enjoyable without losing my license immediately after depressing the gas...

Fantastic car.

BTW, upgrades to me are NOT going to a 991 or 992. I toyed with adding a GT3 / RS and also some even more expensive / exotic hardware but in the end added very specific cars that really excited me, while keeping the 997 - a significantly more expensive proposition than getting a GT3RS but more enjoyable overall. I truly think the 997 it is the best or second best 911 generation available (second, possibly, to a 993).
Old 04-10-2019 | 05:41 PM
php
Racer

Originally Posted by Big Swole

Now, I still "jones" for an upgrade to the 991.1 or .2 TTS, but that's just my nature to want / desire
the newest / latest / greatest / fastest / most powerful, but the budget won't have it. Maybe someday.

However, I do feel the 997 styling will go down as one of the best 911 styles there ever was.
Budget won't have it? I would think your 2012 TTS would be worth more than some 991.1 TTS now....you could probably do a flat trade without any money out of pocket
Old 04-10-2019 | 08:41 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

To add - it helps that my 997.2 has been an incredibly reliable car. Sure, I don't drive or start it in cold temps (because I have other cars for that) but with the basic maintenance it has been 100% reliable and I have zero concerns regarding the car. It is probably one of the most problem-free sports cars out there, which just amplifies its appeal.
Old 04-10-2019 | 09:33 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

7 years and 40,000 miles into my 997.2 base Carrera, 6 speed manual and absolutely love it every time I drive it. I've modified it with PSE and Sharkwerks bi-pass, short-shift kit, TechArt lowering springs and more and that has definitely added to the appeal of an already-great car. I have never had any urge to look at the 991/2s - just not for me at all. I was lucky enough to buy a 964 last summer (which I adore) and had planned to sell the 997, but cannot and will not. Both are staying in my garage. I love my 997 that much.
Old 04-10-2019 | 10:58 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by php
Budget won't have it? I would think your 2012 TTS would be worth more than some 991.1 TTS now....you could probably do a flat trade without any money out of pocket
I'm not sure I've seen that in the market yet. I'm SURE Hoping that the 997.2's will hold values more some day, but for now, the one's I've seen are still lower than the 991.1TTS's. Or at least the lower mile ones are close to equal.

I don't intend to keep my mileage low enough to worry about it though
Old 04-11-2019 | 07:51 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Have only had my 997.2 C2 for a year but I'm definitely still loving it. Haven't been able to drive it this week with pickup / dropoff duty for the kids but that should be different tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.
Old 04-11-2019 | 07:58 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Groovzilla ! You beat me to it... I should have thought about wearing a diaper on my crazy canyon runs a long time ago too, but I usually hand out diapers only to my passengers!
I've gotten a lot of mileage out of those Bore Scoring Stress Diapers.
Old 04-12-2019 | 02:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Took putting my GTS up for sale and then having second thoughts on what would come next to appreciate what I have. Drove a 991 GTS and walked away eager to get back in my current car. Also not in any mood to sell my car for what 2011 Carrera S"s with similar mileage are selling for just because my car has high end after market wheels and OEM GT2 bucket seats which has been the most common argument for offers in the mid 50's.

So I'll buy a new extended warranty (only because of the PDK) and keep it until....no timeline. RWD 997 GTS's were only built in some 2,500 examples if memory serves so between that and the enhancements (I know.....to some they're not enhancements no matter the quality and cost) , I think it's a pretty special car, probably approaching the bottom of the depreciation curve so I'm happy with my decision. Love everything about this car.

Old 04-12-2019 | 02:43 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Still love it. Had a 2007 S and just traded to a 2009 4S. Same but different.

Still puts its a smile on my face.
Old 04-12-2019 | 06:15 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

With our mild winters down here, the longest I've gone without driving the Porsche has been two weeks or thereabouts. On those rare occasions it's been a week or so, it's just awesome to drive the car again. It fits like a glove. The ergonomics and layout are spectacular. I looked and looked for over a year to find the spec I wanted. Now, 5+ years and closing in on 50K of my own miles in oue 997.2S, it's still a blast to drive, which I still look forward to. Spirited back roads romps in Sport+ and manual mode, or just tooling around town in auto mode running errands, it never fails to put me in a better mood. Got a 500 mile road trip tomorrow with the missus. I'm already looking forward to it, and thinking up great reasons to tell the wife why we should take the smaller, twistier roads rather than the interstate. Best of all? I know she's gonna say yes, 'cause she loves the car as much as I do!
We're blessed to drive awesome cars. Keep piling on the miles!
T
Old 04-12-2019 | 07:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Took putting my GTS up for sale and then having second thoughts on what would come next to appreciate what I have. Drove a 991 GTS and walked away eager to get back in my current car. Also not in any mood to sell my car for what 2011 Carrera S"s with similar mileage are selling for just because my car has high end after market wheels and OEM GT2 bucket seats which has been the most common argument for offers in the mid 50's.

So I'll buy a new extended warranty (only because of the PDK) and keep it until....no timeline. RWD 997 GTS's were only built in some 2,500 examples if memory serves so between that and the enhancements (I know.....to some they're not enhancements no matter the quality and cost) , I think it's a pretty special car, probably approaching the bottom of the depreciation curve so I'm happy with my decision. Love everything about this car.

That was a long trip to get right back to the beginning, but sometimes you have to run in circles for a while to feel like you've done something, then end up right where you're supposed to be.

Glad you're keeping it.
Old 04-12-2019 | 11:16 AM
php
Racer

That GTS is such a stunning car. Good thing you didn't sell it. How many miles now?
Old 04-12-2019 | 11:24 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Yeah I still love my car and Sandwedge's GTS and this 1971 - https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...1971-911t.html

Oh yeah - and this one

Genius statement "you start to feel relieved when you take away things and concentrate on the essential"

I want them all

Quick Reply: Do you STILL love your car?