Sponsored by:

any Ducktail pics and info?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:36 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent
Did you read the instructions that came with the tail? It still requires some minor tweaking to fit each car perfectly. There's also a lot of adjustability in the hinges, rear lights, and 3rd brake light panel. The panel fit on 997s is not all that tight.
Let me explore how adjustable the hinge is. As far as panel gaps are concerned, we have nice-sized gaps all through the car, so that's fine

Unfortunately, my spoiler was a local pickup, not bought directly from RPG, so I don't have any instructions. But I understand that it's hard for the fit to be perfect out of the box.
If any of you are kind enough to provide a copy of your Getty/Misha etc instructions, that would really be helpful esp for the waterproofing and drainage situation.

My current plan is to have an ABS honeycomb grill and then stick a flat (possibly ABS) panel under it and just have cutouts for the intake and the fan.
That should block off most of the water, and then I can have the waterproof netting around the intake if needed.
What do you folks think about this plan?
Old 07-17-2019, 02:42 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

https://www.fvd.net/de-de/FVD5129970...ler-997-2.html

anyone tried the fvd one ? It’s expensive but it’s a lot more subtle and I feel it’s a better match to the 997 profile.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:41 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
Thanks for the tip. I will explore that as well. But my main concern is still that the top edge rubs against brake light panel. Ideally I'd like to move the mounting holes of the decklid, but that's near impossible. Could I use some heat to soften the FRP and then wiggle it?

Another concern is water (9 months a year hear in the Seattle area). There was a thread that dealt with the cylindrical air intakes, and the solution was to bag them in a waterproof breathable material.
I can still do that (or use a vent dryer hood) to my stock intake entry to prevent water from getting into the intake.

But that still leaves the right side vent grill of the ducktail to let water into the spoiler.
The OEM spoiler doesn't let that much water in because it has the louvers, and the fact that water goes through the raising part of the spoiler onto the top-side of the decklid and just slides out => almost nothing gets into the engine-bay.

I don't know if I'm overthinking this.. but my concern is if I park outside during the rains, then that would let water collect either inside the spoiler, or in the engine-bay.
There are no drain holes in the spoiler and I don't think I can let the water out into the engine-bay anyways
I need a way to drain the water from the insides of the spoiler.
I had a similar problem when I had the "Misha" ducktail that installed inside of the oem decklid. Once you have loosened all the decklid hinge bolts and move those around as much as possible, one other thing you can try is to use a thin circular file and file away some metal to widen the holes on the decklid hinges that you put the screws through and attach ducktail to. This will give you more wiggle room for adjustment. If the front edge is hitting the 3rd brake light you will want to file the holes wider towards the back of the car so that you can clear that 3rd brake light edge with the ducktail. It will take a few minutes for each one, but with a good file it goes quick.

As far as water is concerned the rain protection water repellent covers are the way to go. attach some pics of your hinges and air intake setup.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Presto

anyone tried the fvd one ? It’s expensive but it’s a lot more subtle and I feel it’s a better match to the 997 profile.
I tried 3 different ducktails. 2 Misha designs and the 3rd was the Getty. #3 was and still is my favorite and that is the Getty design Sport Ducktail. This FVD ducktail is exactly like the 1st gen Misha I had, except it's all one piece. Basically it is an early mold of the 996 gt3 RS deck lid, but without the extended wing. From those angles in the pics it looks fine, but from the profile view it will look too thin and a bit weak. It will look more like a flat decklid than an actual ducktail with a better rake angle. Just my opinion, but I don't think it will give you the front 3/4 views you would expect.
The following users liked this post:
driggity (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:20 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought mine from Misha and its a VERY special piece that I won't s how off yet

but I'm not sure exactly how to go about installing it, anyone want to do a writeup?

it didn't come with any instructions or anything in the box but the part itself and it does have holes pre-drilled in it
Old 07-18-2019, 05:15 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I had a similar problem when I had the "Misha" ducktail that installed inside of the oem decklid. Once you have loosened all the decklid hinge bolts and move those around as much as possible, one other thing you can try is to use a thin circular file and file away some metal to widen the holes on the decklid hinges that you put the screws through and attach ducktail to. This will give you more wiggle room for adjustment. If the front edge is hitting the 3rd brake light you will want to file the holes wider towards the back of the car so that you can clear that 3rd brake light edge with the ducktail. It will take a few minutes for each one, but with a good file it goes quick.

As far as water is concerned the rain protection water repellent covers are the way to go. attach some pics of your hinges and air intake setup.
Thanks for the tip about filing the bolt-holes in the hinges. I vaguely remember reading about this quite a while back (possibly your old posts )
Between the 2 bolt-holes in the hinge, there is a long gap where I could fit a bolt, but then the spoiler won't have a strong receiving side for the bolt and also.. the 2 bolts holding the spoiler would be too close to each other.
Filing seems to be the practical option here.

Regarding the grill and water-protection.. since the intake has it's own funnel and the fan also seems to require just an opening of small size, I'm planning on sticking in some plastic/vinyl sheet onto the underside of the grill and just having cutouts for the intake and the fan areas.
Aesthetically it may not make a big difference (you either see some ugly unfinished/painted FRP, or you don't see anything and just black plastic under a black grill). There seems to be no way to get the water out of the spoiler (assuming I shield the intake). So better try to minimize the amount of water getting in (if not eliminate).
Old 07-19-2019, 08:16 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tip about filing the bolt-holes in the hinges. I vaguely remember reading about this quite a while back (possibly your old posts )
Between the 2 bolt-holes in the hinge, there is a long gap where I could fit a bolt, but then the spoiler won't have a strong receiving side for the bolt and also.. the 2 bolts holding the spoiler would be too close to each other.
Filing seems to be the practical option here.

Regarding the grill and water-protection.. since the intake has it's own funnel and the fan also seems to require just an opening of small size, I'm planning on sticking in some plastic/vinyl sheet onto the underside of the grill and just having cutouts for the intake and the fan areas.
Aesthetically it may not make a big difference (you either see some ugly unfinished/painted FRP, or you don't see anything and just black plastic under a black grill). There seems to be no way to get the water out of the spoiler (assuming I shield the intake). So better try to minimize the amount of water getting in (if not eliminate).
This afternoon I took a file to the passenger side hinge, and after a few minutes the spoiler lined up beautifully.
You guys were right => there is quite a bit of wiggle room in the hinges. After a bit of tweaking, the panel gap seems nice too.
I still think some material needs to be removed from the underside of the lower lip and there is bit of filling needed on the top edge (with the high-mount brake light).

I also got some cheap gutter guard mesh to use for the grilles. I'm planning to use JB-weld epoxy adhesive to glue them to the FRP. Are there any other better options?

Old 07-20-2019, 01:12 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyone with a 997.2 who changed to the Getty duckbill want to sell their full oem deck lid please let me know.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:34 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

I have a question for those who did the ducktail mod => How did you (or your shop) install the brake light in the spoiler?

The cutout in mine doesn't hold the light properly - it's a bit too wide, and there's a gap in the bottom as well. Even if the cutout fits well, the OEM light will not hold onto the spoiler using the built-in clips.

I'm trying to figure out a way to either add FRP/filler material inside the spoiler to hold the light or to just seal the entire cutout and then just use an aftermarket LED brake light bar. I don't want to use epoxy or some other adhesive to stick the OEM light to the wing => this will be a problem if the light goes bad or even if I just want to unplug the harness later on. That said.. even the light were to fit well, do you guys recommend "sealing" the edges around the light so water doesn't get into the spoiler?
Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 291 Posts

Name:  3DEdcVG.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  241.8 KB
Old 07-29-2019, 08:21 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a question for those who did the ducktail mod => How did you (or your shop) install the brake light in the spoiler?

The cutout in mine doesn't hold the light properly - it's a bit too wide, and there's a gap in the bottom as well. Even if the cutout fits well, the OEM light will not hold onto the spoiler using the built-in clips.

I'm trying to figure out a way to either add FRP/filler material inside the spoiler to hold the light or to just seal the entire cutout and then just use an aftermarket LED brake light bar. I don't want to use epoxy or some other adhesive to stick the OEM light to the wing => this will be a problem if the light goes bad or even if I just want to unplug the harness later on. That said.. even the light were to fit well, do you guys recommend "sealing" the edges around the light so water doesn't get into the spoiler?

Shyamvenky, can you confirm what brake light PN you are using?

I have not done this yet, but I have done some research and was under the impression you need the rigid turbo/GT... spoiler brake light insert..... PN 997.631.052.01

P.S. I am near Seattle and would love to see your spoiler in person some time... I have looked at Getty and RPG and was hesitant to go with a brand virtually no one on a Car forum could vouch for....
Good Luck
Old 07-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Aclmin
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

What options are available for a more subtle ducktail?
Old 07-29-2019, 09:49 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

This is where your body shop guy will prove his worth. The Ducktail is made of fiberglass. The body shop should be able to use fillers that work well with that to fill in the gaps. My body shop had to do some fill in work as well. Once the gaps are corrected and the light clips in properly, then you can use some additional methods to keep the light firm from within the ducktail. Some resin, hot glue or fiberglass can be inserted to support the back of the light a bit better . Either way it will be a test for your body shop guy...
Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto

That is perfect spoiler, most too big, wide, etc and don't think would look good with cab. Very nice and subtle. Find someone who’s done it it I’d be very interested.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:39 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PJP13
Shyamvenky, can you confirm what brake light PN you are using?

I have not done this yet, but I have done some research and was under the impression you need the rigid turbo/GT... spoiler brake light insert..... PN 997.631.052.01

P.S. I am near Seattle and would love to see your spoiler in person some time... I have looked at Getty and RPG and was hesitant to go with a brand virtually no one on a Car forum could vouch for....
Good Luck
The Getty spoiler is definitely a great product as other folks mention in the forum here. I just took a chance with RPG since it was a local sale and not as expensive as the other brands.
As I was mock-fitting, the spoiler was a decent fit with no blatant issues. There will always be minor flaws here and there, besides fit & finish items before it is paint-ready.
We can definitely meetup sometime so you can see the real thing

I do have the correct in-spoiler brake light => all the 997 cars had the same basic light (which was revised over the years, and at some point the lights had integrated spring-loaded brackets/latches).
The same modules is sold as 4 part numbers => I assume each correlated with a different type of spoiler or latch configuration. I'm not sure if the high-mount brake light also has the same assembly.
997.631.050.03 (4519)
997.631.054.02 (4535)
997.631.051.03 (4520)
997.631.052.00 (4533)

The simplicity of mounting seems to drag me towards a basic aftermarket LED light bar (sealed unit, not bare LED strip).
In terms of performance they might even be brighter than the OEM light and some even have a brake light modulator built-in.

This is where your body shop guy will prove his worth. The Ducktail is made of fiberglass. The body shop should be able to use fillers that work well with that to fill in the gaps. My body shop had to do some fill in work as well. Once the gaps are corrected and the light clips in properly, then you can use some additional methods to keep the light firm from within the ducktail. Some resin, hot glue or fiberglass can be inserted to support the back of the light a bit better . Either way it will be a test for your body shop guy...
Yes, but my "very local" shop quoted an insane amount to get the spoiler repaired, painted and installed. I offered to have all the components installed on the spoiler (harness, fan, possibly the brake light even) to the new spoiler prior to dropping it off.
The main work there would be to disassemble the OEM raising spoiler to extract the components.
But he was adamant that they do it and just inflated the quote. I chose to walk away.
I might try some other shops in the area or just spend the time and effort and do it myself.

Quick Reply: any Ducktail pics and info?