Sponsored by:

any Ducktail pics and info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
i remember you’re the first ever install the ducktail, I used to mesmerize about your car mod. One of the cleanest 997.1 out there and still looking classy.
I also have a ducktail on my current car now
Cheers! Thank so much.
The duck crowd may be small but distinguished
Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Sorry, I meant specifically if you bought the bumper beam as the euro part, not the bumper cover since you just put the CF cover. Is it 2 rivets on the top and bottom that are attached to the beam that you drilled out?

#17: $447.35 (mine came with heat shield #22)
[IMG]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7...bumper1eu7.jpg
Ahh ok. It's the original bumper support that's being used. Correct, we just removed the two rivets on top and two on bottom. Makes it easier if I were to go back to stock later on.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 PM
chuckgm3
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got my duck in the mail from Getty designs. It looks to be in pretty great shape. Unfortunately I need to wait another two weeks before my brake light blank panel arrives so I can have them both painted at the same time.

One part I'm not sure I'm thrilled with are the wire mesh for the top vents. Curious if you guys with Getty ducks used the ones provided or some other form of wire mesh? Did you paint them or go with a stainless look? What did you use to glue them into place after the part was painted?

Finally, can you show me how your fan plug and engine bay light plug are routed?

Thank you
Old 04-15-2019, 05:31 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckgm3
I just got my duck in the mail from Getty designs. It looks to be in pretty great shape. Unfortunately I need to wait another two weeks before my brake light blank panel arrives so I can have them both painted at the same time.

One part I'm not sure I'm thrilled with are the wire mesh for the top vents. Curious if you guys with Getty ducks used the ones provided or some other form of wire mesh? Did you paint them or go with a stainless look? What did you use to glue them into place after the part was painted?

Finally, can you show me how your fan plug and engine bay light plug are routed?

Thank you
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13018751

Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Yes, lots of better looking black meshes out there. Body shops should have different epoxy or fiberglass techniques to keep it in place.

A couple other recommendations.. Make sure your body shop guy fits the 3rd brake light in 1st and fills in any gaps. At least on my fitment there was some minor fill in that was needed to make sure brake light looked great. Also be extra careful with the 3rd brake light tips at each end. They can snap off really easy. One last suggestion. I painted the inside of the ducktail black. That part you see when you look down into the vent openings, even with the mesh in place, if it is not black the unfinished fiber glass is not the nicest thing to look at. Paint it black to match the fan that will be attached and it will look much better.

Last edited by qikqbn; 04-15-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 PM
chuckgm3
Advanced

Those fasteners are a great idea. I might go that route.

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Yes, lots of better looking black meshes out there. Body shops should have different epoxy or fiberglass techniques to keep it in place.

A couple other recommendations.. Make sure your body shop guy fits the 3rd brake light in 1st and fills in any gaps. At least on my fitment there was some miner fill in that was needed to make sure brake light looked great. Also be extra careful with the 3rd brake light tips at each end. They can snap off really easy. One last suggestion. I painted the inside of the ducktail black. That part you see when you look down into the vent openings, even with the mesh in place, if it is not black the unfinished fiber glass is not the nicest thing to look at. Paint it black to match the fan that will be attached and it will look much better.
Excellent advice, thanks. I will definitely do the black interior paint.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:21 PM
mpreston
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Just installed a Getty Design Sport Ducktail. I paid for the primer service and wiring harness. Did a test fit before sending it off to paint and no adjustments needed since Getty has an actually car they check the fit on. The wiring harness was plug and play an worked without a hitch. I used the wire mesh as is and had them paint the inside silver, Seems to work for now. I bought the upper latch and the proper bolts from the dealership which cost under twenty bucks. They supply the proper rubber bumpers that are adjustable. I’m really happy with Getty’s customer service, shipping and the actual ducktail is first class.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by mpreston
Just installed a Getty Design Sport Ducktail. I paid for the primer service and wiring harness. Did a test fit before sending it off to paint and no adjustments needed since Getty has an actually car they check the fit on. The wiring harness was plug and play an worked without a hitch. I used the wire mesh as is and had them paint the inside silver, Seems to work for now. I bought the upper latch and the proper bolts from the dealership which cost under twenty bucks. They supply the proper rubber bumpers that are adjustable. I’m really happy with Getty’s customer service, shipping and the actual ducktail is first class.
congrats on the new ducktail ! Looks awesome and so glad it all went smoothly. Its like having a new car everytime you look at it. I love seeing the tail everytime i look in the rear view mirror too
Old 04-25-2019, 03:30 PM
chuckgm3
Advanced

Originally Posted by mpreston
Looking good! I was really happy with the Getty customer service as well. Really impressed with the packaging for shipping too. I'm test fitting mine tomorrow and dropping off for paint Monday. Can you tell me what you paid to have yours painted? Can you shoot a picture of the grilles as well as one that shows the inside painted silver?

Thank you
Old 04-25-2019, 08:28 PM
iamkurrupt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the flying ducktail still available anywhere? Read somewhere they went out of business.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

hi drockCity - would you have more photos of your car and spoiler? did you need the wire harness of any sorts (since there is no led on the spoiler?) - i really like this ducktail classic.

Originally Posted by drockzcity
Went with the Classic Ducktail from Getty on mine. Here's a few old shots.

The following users liked this post:
Jhicks2729 (04-04-2024)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
I e-mailed Getty and didn't get a response

Mashaw one is available, leaning towards it, how did you guys like yours as far as fit etc goes?
was this a ducktail sport or ducktail classic?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Any body out there with the Moshammer tail? I like the more subtle look and the fact that it doesn’t require replacing the entire deck lid.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Swerveskip
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

thinking of this myself, interested in the reply. Might allow the tail panel of the C4S to remain as well.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:11 AM
chuckgm3
Advanced

Got mine back today. Still needs a wash before better pictures.

The following users liked this post:
Jhicks2729 (01-23-2024)

Quick Reply: any Ducktail pics and info?