Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pay it forward: GT3 Smile Vent Template Pt II

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Asking again, when you add the smile vent to a stock bumper, what is under the vent? Is it ok for everything under there to get wet?

I love the smiley vent but don't want to cause new issues to some component inside the front bumper.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:17 PM
jad4ca
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iceter: It's really just the bumper. It looks like this underneath

Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Thanks for the pic. I’m not sure I want it to get wet up in there. Looks like the trunk release motor is right there.

Where does the water go once it’s in there?
Old 02-26-2019, 06:20 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

I have this piece but also the 3rd center radiator properly vented up through the vent (functional GT3 style). I seems all water buildup will drip down through the radiator mount. Not totally sure where it will go with just the vent sitting open though. (not trying to high jack thr thread)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Too much work for a smiley face ...... I am of the cloth that cosmetically that if the car did not come with it oem don't put it on. Just work harder and wait to buy a gt3rs.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:21 PM
jad4ca
Intermediate

@rileyracing1 Not sure if there is some sarcasm in your comment or not but it was amusing. Of course I'd prefer a GT3RS, who wouldn't? Taking off the front bumper isn't too bad and I like to wrench on the car; it's a form of therapy for me. And this is a project that is a couple hundred bucks and few hours of your time. An RS carries a value of a multiple of 2-3x what I paid for my C2S. Apples to oranges.

Porsche's marketing department has capitalized on the customization/individualization masterfully (witness the 20+ variants of the 911 at any given time) and part of what draws us to these incredible cars is that they are like legos with so many interchangeable parts.

In the short-term, a GT3 or RS isn't in the cards for me. And I work plenty hard and make good money. For now, the GT3 vent and the 991 sport lip together add enough of a different/aggressive look to the front bumper vs. stock that it will keep me happy... Until I can score a 997.2 GT3RS with a Sharkwerks 4.1!

I'll post a picture once my bumper is back on the car.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:36 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Asking again, when you add the smile vent to a stock bumper, what is under the vent? Is it ok for everything under there to get wet?

I love the smiley vent but don't want to cause new issues to some component inside the front bumper.
Originally Posted by jad4ca
Iceter: It's really just the bumper. It looks like this underneath
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by frederickcook87
I have this piece but also the 3rd center radiator properly vented up through the vent (functional GT3 style). I seems all water buildup will drip down through the radiator mount. Not totally sure where it will go with just the vent sitting open though. (not trying to high jack thr thread)
As @frederickcook87 posted in another thread, you'll need the GT3 ducting too.

997-504-487-92 retaining frame
997-504-489-81 air duct

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15666541
Old 02-27-2019, 10:06 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

For those that have done this, does the smile template have tabs that bend and hook onto tbe bumper to align it with the top before you screw it down, or are they just there to visually line up with the top of the bumper edge? I can't tell from the video.

thanks,

Steve
Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 PM
ill250
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x
For those that have done this, does the smile template have tabs that bend and hook onto tbe bumper to align it with the top before you screw it down, or are they just there to visually line up with the top of the bumper edge? I can't tell from the video.

thanks,

Steve
Theres one tab in the center of the template to visually align the top and center of the bumper. A bend on the tab would be nice though.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:31 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Thanks guys for the answers to my water drainage question. It does seem like on a daily driver, one would want to install the under-bumper venting along with the smiley vent, or else water is going to collect in places it shouldn't...

...and if you're going to go to that trouble, it seems like the installation of the third radiator is a good idea while you're at it, or else the venting in the center panel will look wonky and might even reduce air flow to the existing side radiators.

Lots to think about.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:25 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ill250
Theres one tab in the center of the template to visually align the top and center of the bumper. A bend on the tab would be nice though.
Great, thank you!
Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM
jad4ca
Intermediate

Hi guys.

Since I had the front bumper off the car, I took the opportunity to have it resprayed. After 3-4 weeks of curing, I will have paint protection film applied and then I will reattach the 991 sport lip. I'm happy with the way it came out with the addition of the GT3 vent. Who's next up?

Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

My completed GT3 Smile. Installed Zunsport grills at same time.
Passed the Template on to a member in Florida who started a pass it forward thread but died at the next recipient.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:31 PM
jad4ca
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joehatz
My completed GT3 Smile. Installed Zunsport grills at same time.
Passed the Template on to a member in Florida who started a pass it forward thread but died at the next recipient.

Looks awesome!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:10 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Too much work for a smiley face ...... I am of the cloth that cosmetically that if the car did not come with it oem don't put it on. Just work harder and wait to buy a gt3rs.
Interesting, so you never add any aftermarket or OE option parts to any vehicle you own, ever? btw, working "harder" isn't always the way it works to afford a car that is in the $100k-150k range. I know in my own personal situation, I currently have 5 cars between me, my wife and kids. I have payments on a couple of them, and only spend less than 5% of my take home income on cars. I know that it is acceptable to spend 20% or even more, but frankly those are numbers that I leave for the kid that works at starbucks and thinks that have to look cool so they stretch to buy a 3 series BMW. The rest of us that have a wife, kids, kids in college, a mortgage, etc... the 20% is pretty hard for even me to justify. So ya, so of us can afford nice cars, maybe even a GT3, but it doesn't always make it the correct decision in all circumstances, despite what everyone else does. (probably another reason people ask me how I actually have 850 credit rating, it really isn't that hard....borrow some money, buy things you can afford, make payments on time. Mind blowing, I know. I guess I am a bit old fashioned in the opinion that if you can't afford to buy a "toy" with cash, you can't "afford" the toy. Cracks me up when I have friends financing dirt bikes, racing karts, etc, etc...and that isn't even talking about TVs, computers, Furniture, etc...Heck, I won't even "finance" a house remodel because even though it adds value to the home, it isn't a necessity so I wait til I can pay for it outright)

jad4ca, car looks great, can't wait to see it in person. Sorry I sold my template long before your did your kit
The following users liked this post:
krautmeister (03-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Pay it forward: GT3 Smile Vent Template Pt II