997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pay it forward: GT3 Smile Vent Template Pt II

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019 | 03:39 PM
Tony C.
Rennlist Member

Hi, I would like to borrow the “smiley” template if possible. I would only need it for a few minutes and can ship it
out FEDEX when done. I have made a “paper” template but it is not perfect.
I am installing the factory OEM GT3 center radiator and ducting on my 2010 CAYMAN S PDK car.
The Car is a track only race car that I run mostly in PCA as a GTB1 car. As most know the 987.2 Cayman PDK
cars have a factory center radiator that vents DOWN and out 4 rectangular holes in the bottom of the bumper cover.
This has been a MUCH more difficult project than I thought! Getting the correct part numbers and then correct
parts has been the hard part. I WILL figure it out as I am getting some help from Cam at Bilt Racing and others on this
website and other helpful PCA guys. Thanks for your help guys!
I will post everything when I’m done. I have all the parts to add the stock OEM center radiator if anybody wants
to do it that way? That is what most do.
The real GT3 setup requires: A new larger center radiator, New air duct in front of it, New frame that mounts the cooler
to the nose and is behind the radiator, another New duct that attaches to that frame and routes the air UP through the “smiley”.
A new carbon fiber radiator support that goes below the radiator, the “smiley”, and 2 NEW hoses that are slightly different
to reach the new location of the radiator as it is being moved forward slightly and tilted forward at the top.
I am not done yet as I am trying to make sure I have the right parts as the frame in front and behind the radiator
appear to need some clearancing from the outside edges? Right now, they appear not have enough clearance for the Left
and Right inside of the outer radiator ducts.?
I Will post details when I get it worked out. I think most people just pay a shop to do this AS I ORIGINALLY DID.
However, the shop I used just put the “smiley” in and left everything else stock. The “smiley” doesn’t do anything unless
you do all the GT3 ducting stuff... except maybe look better than stock?
Some might say I am wasting my time and money for a small performance and cooling gain. However, I really like
making things perform better when the rules allow. I really need to work on the nut behind the steering wheel. That’s
what is slowing me down! ��
Thanks,
Tony
Old 03-24-2019 | 09:53 PM
jad4ca
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tony C.
Hi, I would like to borrow the “smiley” template if possible. I would only need it for a few minutes and can ship it
out FEDEX when done. I have made a “paper” template but it is not perfect.
I am installing the factory OEM GT3 center radiator and ducting on my 2010 CAYMAN S PDK car.
The Car is a track only race car that I run mostly in PCA as a GTB1 car. As most know the 987.2 Cayman PDK
cars have a factory center radiator that vents DOWN and out 4 rectangular holes in the bottom of the bumper cover.
This has been a MUCH more difficult project than I thought! Getting the correct part numbers and then correct
parts has been the hard part. I WILL figure it out as I am getting some help from Cam at Bilt Racing and others on this
website and other helpful PCA guys. Thanks for your help guys!
I will post everything when I’m done. I have all the parts to add the stock OEM center radiator if anybody wants
to do it that way? That is what most do.
The real GT3 setup requires: A new larger center radiator, New air duct in front of it, New frame that mounts the cooler
to the nose and is behind the radiator, another New duct that attaches to that frame and routes the air UP through the “smiley”.
A new carbon fiber radiator support that goes below the radiator, the “smiley”, and 2 NEW hoses that are slightly different
to reach the new location of the radiator as it is being moved forward slightly and tilted forward at the top.
I am not done yet as I am trying to make sure I have the right parts as the frame in front and behind the radiator
appear to need some clearancing from the outside edges? Right now, they appear not have enough clearance for the Left
and Right inside of the outer radiator ducts.?
I Will post details when I get it worked out. I think most people just pay a shop to do this AS I ORIGINALLY DID.
However, the shop I used just put the “smiley” in and left everything else stock. The “smiley” doesn’t do anything unless
you do all the GT3 ducting stuff... except maybe look better than stock?
Some might say I am wasting my time and money for a small performance and cooling gain. However, I really like
making things perform better when the rules allow. I really need to work on the nut behind the steering wheel. That’s
what is slowing me down! ��
Thanks,
Tony
HI Tony.

Responded to your PM. Happy and ready to send the template out to the next in line

Jeff
Old 03-29-2019 | 07:52 PM
jad4ca
Intermediate

Update: the template is now en route to Tony C.
Old 04-20-2019 | 02:34 PM
yamii
2nd Gear

Default Is the template still circulating?

Originally Posted by jad4ca
Update: the template is now en route to Tony C.
I know it’s an old thread but a stab in the dark to see if this pay it forward is still going?
Old 04-21-2019 | 03:22 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

PM Tony C. He would be the last recipient and current holder of the template. Please follow the process outlined in the first post to minimize confusion for future users. Thanks for keeping this going!

Originally Posted by yamii
I know it’s an old thread but a stab in the dark to see if this pay it forward is still going?
Old 07-10-2019 | 07:53 PM
997.2TTConvert
Intermediate

Template time for me. Does anyone know where it currently calls home?

Thank you.

Kurt
Old 08-19-2019 | 04:57 PM
jdubdds24
Instructor

I just purchased the kit with the vent AND the template, I'll be happy to pass it along once I'm done, should be done by next weekend.
Old 01-17-2020 | 02:14 PM
grey2011s
Advanced

jdub, you still have the template?
Old 01-22-2020 | 11:29 PM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Who has the template?
TIA
Old 02-27-2020 | 10:14 AM
flashmoto121
3rd Gear

Is this template still being passed around?
Old 02-27-2020 | 02:25 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

I bought the complete kit for mine and I should be done with the template this weekend. I'd be happy to pay it forward under Busta's guidelines. @grey2011s you'd be first on the list if you still need it.
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:43 AM
grey2011s
Advanced

Originally Posted by scadams
I bought the complete kit for mine and I should be done with the template this weekend. I'd be happy to pay it forward under Busta's guidelines. @grey2011s you'd be first on the list if you still need it.
thanks but i purchased one already.
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:45 AM
grey2011s
Advanced

i purchased one from a guy on fb Porsche 997 Enthusiasts group. i will sell it for $60.00 shipped if anyone needs it.
Old 03-11-2020 | 03:09 PM
flashmoto121
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by grey2011s
i purchased one from a guy on fb Porsche 997 Enthusiasts group. i will sell it for $60.00 shipped if anyone needs it.
Im interested, ill send you a PM!
Old 03-12-2020 | 02:46 PM
grey2011s
Advanced

Originally Posted by flashmoto121
Im interested, ill send you a PM!
I EMAILED YOU

Quick Reply: Pay it forward: GT3 Smile Vent Template Pt II