Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 05:52 AM
bazhart
User

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Posting technical stuff on the Internet is a recipe for abuse that has taken me a very long time to try and learn how to convey useful information to those interested without invoking too much negative responses (but I am still learning).

Every now and again I cannot take any more and stop for a while - but then I read something that is misleading owners and feel I must try and put that record straight.

Some years ago I felt a commonality with Jake and LN and tried to generate trust between us and a technology exchange that I felt would enhance our joint knowledge and avoid doing it publicly. We all tried hard but in the end we have had to become so centred on our own research and the solutions that emerged for us (and that worked) that it was difficult not to get too involved in detail and the merits of differences and so we decided to go our own way.

We have had to be single minded to invest in and supply solutions to such high end engines against often poor alternatives offered by others and so we are used to not listening too much to the opinions of others while we pursue solutions that could backfire big style if we get them wrong.

I think if we had been able to meet up we might have made it work but we are all doing well for our customers in our own Countries and that was the main aim and anyway there could have been differences in our locations, weather, driving styles, fuel and general wealth etc that meant we were right to sometimes disagree on causes because they were different where we are based.

From our point of view we are at capacity and cannot expand without losing too much of the control and personal contact that we feel contributes to our success - so we have not tried to compete with either LN or Jake on any technical products or services.

However, trying to find the causes of issues with engines made by such a huge organisation inevitably means we may occasionally find a different explanation that never the less led us to the same (or a similar) solution - and so in some ways any differences we may occasionally have technically are not as important as the performance of the solutions we provide.

While we found the IMS issue quick and relatively easy to resolve and find solutions for - the issues with Lokasil, "D" chunking and cracking were easier to understand than bore scoring and that took a huge amount of time and a massive cost to eventually understand fully. We then have to decide if it is in our interests to divulge the outcome to competitors for free.

I hope readers appreciate that we only do so to help them make informed decisions and not to be deflected into making the wrong ones and dragging the reputation of the products we make our living from further downwards.

It is however always difficult and prone to backfire and I find I frequently read a post and sit pondering on whether I should contribute or try and anticipate the kind of response that may follow and make me regret doing so and ignore it.

Baz.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

I just ordered some Driven DI40. Got an email that said it was backordered from LN. Hope the "2 weeks" prediction is correct. I need to do an oil change soon.

Hoping the switch will give me peace of mind and work to protect the engine better.

Thanks for the info.

David
Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,614 Likes on 4,204 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I just ordered some Driven DI40. Got an email that said it was backordered from LN. Hope the "2 weeks" prediction is correct. I need to do an oil change soon.

Hoping the switch will give me peace of mind and work to protect the engine better.

Thanks for the info.

David
Yes, it's backordered from Driven until 3/25 through all their distribution channels. I'm waiting on a case too for my Cayenne.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Good deal. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,635 Likes on 2,103 Posts

Originally Posted by bazhart
Posting technical stuff on the Internet is a recipe for abuse that has taken me a very long time to try and learn how to convey useful information to those interested without invoking too much negative responses (but I am still learning).

Every now and again I cannot take any more and stop for a while - but then I read something that is misleading owners and feel I must try and put that record straight.

Some years ago I felt a commonality with Jake and LN and tried to generate trust between us and a technology exchange that I felt would enhance our joint knowledge and avoid doing it publicly. We all tried hard but in the end we have had to become so centred on our own research and the solutions that emerged for us (and that worked) that it was difficult not to get too involved in detail and the merits of differences and so we decided to go our own way.

We have had to be single minded to invest in and supply solutions to such high end engines against often poor alternatives offered by others and so we are used to not listening too much to the opinions of others while we pursue solutions that could backfire big style if we get them wrong.

I think if we had been able to meet up we might have made it work but we are all doing well for our customers in our own Countries and that was the main aim and anyway there could have been differences in our locations, weather, driving styles, fuel and general wealth etc that meant we were right to sometimes disagree on causes because they were different where we are based.

From our point of view we are at capacity and cannot expand without losing too much of the control and personal contact that we feel contributes to our success - so we have not tried to compete with either LN or Jake on any technical products or services.

However, trying to find the causes of issues with engines made by such a huge organisation inevitably means we may occasionally find a different explanation that never the less led us to the same (or a similar) solution - and so in some ways any differences we may occasionally have technically are not as important as the performance of the solutions we provide.

While we found the IMS issue quick and relatively easy to resolve and find solutions for - the issues with Lokasil, "D" chunking and cracking were easier to understand than bore scoring and that took a huge amount of time and a massive cost to eventually understand fully. We then have to decide if it is in our interests to divulge the outcome to competitors for free.

I hope readers appreciate that we only do so to help them make informed decisions and not to be deflected into making the wrong ones and dragging the reputation of the products we make our living from further downwards.

It is however always difficult and prone to backfire and I find I frequently read a post and sit pondering on whether I should contribute or try and anticipate the kind of response that may follow and make me regret doing so and ignore it.

Baz.
Keep up the good fight !! Combating miss-information is a worthy cause. I enjoy reading your in-dept explanations more and more..
Old 03-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, it's backordered from Driven until 3/25 through all their distribution channels. I'm waiting on a case too for my Cayenne.
Do you recommend the DI30 oil for the 997.1?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,614 Likes on 4,204 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Do you recommend the DI30 oil for the 997.1?
No, 997.1 is not a DFI motor. DT40 is the proper oil for that engine.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:11 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

And DT40 is in stock. Received mine this week!

Cw
Old 03-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,291 Likes on 903 Posts

I think that's exactly what Jake Raby is going to be doing based on his lone post on the 996 forum yesterday. I was informed that a 997 owner showed up on a different forum only to troll every comment the man made
That guy was a jerk.. He spends all his time on facebook posting naked pics of himself running around his 997. Its people like him that just make me review why I am part of these communities.. Thats all.

Truth be told spring is almost here... Its my favorite season, and thre time that I love to be outdoors working on my property, and driving tanks, and other obscure vehicles with my daughter.. Lots of events and re-enactments are coming up, and I plan to take a lot of time off to enjoy myself... I don’t want to be tied to some device, arguing with some character that doesn’t know a piston from a camshaft..

I’ll keep cranking out videos, but won’t be around here much. Bronz’s engine is well underway, and will be done around the end of August. Our schedule is booked solid till March 2020, so I will head to the woods, where I belong! Here’s where Ava and I were playing last weekend, its our swamp in the back yard!

Ava and I love 30+ year old Honda’s!
The following users liked this post:
bentrod (12-26-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:41 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 136 Posts

I ;have a case of DI40 coming tomorrow from my local good autoparts store. $14.99 a qt. Driven (website was oos) recommeneded me to EPW(?) engine ;parts warehouse in Colorado, they couldn't sell to me (only machine shops and auto parts stores), they happened to have my local (Monument Car Parts) and i receive tomorrow (friday). Not easy too get, ordering next case online (and save sales tax and $2 qt). Definately in hot demand right now.
Are we a little off topic? oops.
Can't wait to see and hear the 4.0 fire up. Hope all is well.....
Old 03-07-2019, 10:48 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

​​​​​​That pic!!! quality. Many of us here appreciate quality input and can tell the difference between trolls bs and hard work and truth. Thanx for all your contributions! Enjoy, in good health, mike
Old 03-08-2019, 12:21 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 217 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations;15688178[left
Truth be told spring is almost here... Its my favorite season, and thre time that I love to be outdoors working on my property, and driving tanks, and other obscure vehicles with my daughter.. Lots of events and re-enactments are coming up, and I plan to take a lot of time off to enjoy myself..
One does not make these statements without showing some kind of pic! Big reds and tanks! God I need a beer!
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 03-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
That guy was a jerk.. He spends all his time on facebook posting naked pics of himself running around his 997. Its people like him that just make me review why I am part of these communities.. Thats all.

Truth be told spring is almost here... Its my favorite season, and thre time that I love to be outdoors working on my property, and driving tanks, and other obscure vehicles with my daughter.. Lots of events and re-enactments are coming up, and I plan to take a lot of time off to enjoy myself... I don’t want to be tied to some device, arguing with some character that doesn’t know a piston from a camshaft..

I’ll keep cranking out videos, but won’t be around here much. Bronz’s engine is well underway, and will be done around the end of August. Our schedule is booked solid till March 2020, so I will head to the woods, where I belong! Here’s where Ava and I were playing last weekend, its our swamp in the back yard!

Fantastic picture. Get out and enjoy!!!

Meanwhile, when/if you get the chance ... still wondering about those fuel injectors.

Now ... Get on with Spring 8)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:08 AM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Jake, love the detailed and pragmatic approach. Hope I never have to call you though.

Question - where did you get that large Porsche logo on the red wall of your shop? I would love to have something like that in my garage. Was t custom fabricated?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:00 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
Jake, love the detailed and pragmatic approach. Hope I never have to call you though.

Question - where did you get that large Porsche logo on the red wall of your shop? I would love to have something like that in my garage. Was t custom fabricated?
I've seen them pop up on ebay and Facebook marketplace. The last one was really large for about $70.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure